Hawaii Big Island vs the ranch..

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

SxS
Guide

Hawaii Big Island vs the ranch..

Post by SxS »

Well, this year, my annual week or two late June early July HF plans are gonna look a little different. Instead, i'll be with my family on the big island for a week staying at the Hilton Waikōloa. Anyone ever stayed there or nearby and brought along a fly rod and had some success? Any tips or ideas are much appreciated. I can only lay on a beach for so long. I hope to get to idaho by late july but the timing of this trip is killing me!

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Re: Hawaii Big Island vs the ranch..

Post by owenscaddis »

I stayed there with my family over a decade ago. I did not see anyone fishing in the area, nor did I attempt to do so. I do remember that the beaches were rather narrow with lots of black lava which would make fishing challenging. Like you I get antsy after a day or so. We used the resort as a home base and toured the island. I would highly recommend getting a car rental. You can easily make day trips to Hilo or the volcano. Also the coffee plantations are interesting to visit if you enjoy a good cup. Lots to see and enjoy. Sorry I am not more helpful.

Frank

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I had a stay just north of there quite some time ago at a condo on a golf course. I concur with Frank: get a rental car. I wouldn’t bother with a fly rod. You might consider a blue water fishing charter. Big tasty fish out there! Enjoy some live Hawaiian music, eat a lot of poke, and check out the sea turtles (they were all over the place when I was there).

For bonefish on a fly rod, take a day on Oahu. Honolulu has some big spooky bonefish right in the tourist beach.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Look at lava. I'd love to see lava flow.

Jay Edwards

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

There are rainbow trout on the big island.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Surfing is a blast - love to fly fish but if I were in Hawaii I’d get a surfing lesson rather than fish.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Spent 3 1/2 years 1973-1976 in USN stationed on the USS Bryce Canyon, AD 36 docked at Pearl Harbor. I've been back several+ times to the Islands.
Big Island is my favorite - endless beauty, active volcano, friendly locals, great food, surf and sun. Never fished other than catching hand++ sized Talapia on Oahu.
On our last visit, the day before my Wife's Birthday, we drove to Ka Lee (South Point) in the AM and saw pink smoke from Kilauea's last major eruption - our B&B was about 15 miles on the coast towards Hilo from the lava flow's hardest hit subdivisions. Nature in its most awesome power but also beautiful. Pele don't mess around sometimes.
There is so much to do (if you so desire) or nothing to do at all, and in between - enjoy!!!

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

My daughter and son-in-law do bird research on the Big Island and Maui and they currently live there in Hilo. We were there for a few weeks last year and I ran across a great sporting goods store in Hilo called S. Tonkunaga Store which I follow on Instagram. Seen more than few pictures of bonefish caught around the Big Island. Thought I would include this link about Big Island fly fishing.

https://kuuloakai.com/hawaii/big-island-fly-fishing/

If you get a chance, do one of the night Manta Ray dives out of Kona. We had a blast with these big rays literally brushing up against us as they scoop up plankton. Lots of snorkeling to be had - lots of colorful coral, tropical fish, etc. A trip to Volcano National Park is a great excursion - the active volcano crater is best seen at night. We also took a drive to the top of Mauna Kea to the observatories and then spent a few hours star gazing at the visitor center after leaving the peak. If you're a star peeper, the Milky Way is mind blowing from the visitor center parking lot. We also did a helo tour outta Kona which is another great way to see the coast line.

Love the Big Island way better than Oahu

Cane

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

You could always take a short flight to Oahu and cast to some truly remarkable bonefish. I can whole heartedly recommend “Hawaii on the fly”.

Jake

Horton Creek
Guide

Post by Horton Creek »

I have been to Hawaii twice (Maui and Kuai) and brought fly rod. Always caught fish.....mostly trevally or trumpetfish. Missed a few bonefish. See below link for Big Island info
https://www.ucolick.org/~bolte/HawaiiWW ... shing.html

This me last summer

SxS
Guide

Post by SxS »

Hey all y'all thanks for the info! Leaving in the morning, packed an 8wt and some saltwater paraphernalia! spoke with all the usual suspects last week up in Idaho, seems i'm not missing much up there yet! hoping to connect with something off the beach, if not, i reckon sitting on the beach ain't all bad either!! yes going to volcano NP. I have John Prine "let's talk dirty in hawaiian" stuck in my head!! aloha!
j

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”