Delaware/Pennsylvania Hike - Are there any trout in this area?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Dean D
Master Guide

Delaware/Pennsylvania Hike - Are there any trout in this area?

Post by Dean D »

Last week I was fortunate enough to visit Delaware for the first time to witness the graduation of my oldest grandchild from the University of Delaware. One of my sons-in-law is from Newark, and his family still owns around 10 acres of beautiful land on West White Clay Creek. As we hiked around the property, it was obvious that the stream was structurally perfect for trout. After doing a little research, I found that White Clay Creek is indeed a dandy trout fishery whose viability is probably dependent on temperature and flow levels. But I couldn't find any info in the West tributary of the creek. I assume that it may not be a viable fishery because of dams on the creek (there is an old grist mill dam on the property we were on). I'm not really sure if it could hold trout, but man, it sure looks good! Do any of you have any experience on this part of the White Clay system? (Attached is a pic of a few of the grandkids at the stream.)

"I used to be clueless, but I've turned that situation around 360 degrees."

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Delaware/Pennsylvania Hike - Are there any trout in this area?

Post by Canewrap »

I grew up in that area and learned to flyfish on White Clay. They stocked it every year when I used to live there. I would say the only way to find out for sure is to use a short rod and a small box of flies (beetles, small elk hair (#18 or #20), Adams, etc.). I used small Ausable Wulffs a lot on this stream. This time of year I would wear a good pair of boots for ankle support and wet wade. Also, treat it like most small stream fishing and work to break up your outline, wear dull colors and stay low. Good luck.

Dean D
Master Guide

Post by Dean D »

Thanks for the response. I have a 6.5’ travel rod I can pack in my bag the next time I get out there. Your advice is appreciated.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

I used to fish White Clay Creek upstream in Pennsylvania a few years back. The stream in that area had a pretty good population of small minnows that had a prominent red streak on their sides. I used to do pretty well with a red wool bodied streamer with a white bucktail overwing and underwing with a bit of silver flash. Not sure what you will find in your stretch, but it might be worth trying something like that in about a size 10.

Dean D
Master Guide

Post by Dean D »

Thanks for the info. I think my major concern is the presence of ancient dams that were used for mills way back when. I didn't have time to effectively scout out the water downstream from this dam, but if there are no other structures between it and the main channel of the White Clay, it might hold a few fish.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”