7.5' 3wt quad

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

joep
Master Guide

7.5' 3wt quad

Post by joep »

Does anyone make a 7.5 3wt quatdother than probably Per Brandin. Looking at starting to buy quads and fill gaps in my collection. I also don't want to end up with a 4wt so i am curious of personal experience as well. I am on Dana's list but am still a few years out, not sure if he makes one.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 7.5' 3wt quad

Post by PYochim »

I would be hesitant to have a maker build one if he (or she) hasn’t already done one. That said, the chances of Sweetgrass having built that particular rod are pretty high.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

PYochim wrote:
06/01/23 12:51
I would be hesitant to have a maker build one if he (or she) hasn’t already done one. That said, the chances of Sweetgrass having built that particular rod are pretty high.
I had the same thought, i have an email out to Glenn already. I had the same thought about making one previous. This is one of those configs, that easily becomes a 4wt.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Hello,

You could check with Tim Zietak. “Quadrate” in this forum. If Tim does not build one himself, he might know who might.

Tight Lines!

Alex

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

PYochim wrote:
06/01/23 12:51
Glenn responded "sure can". I should have known.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Bill Taylor makes one, I think.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Are we talking two piece or three pieces?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

7.5' 3wt quad

Post by ibookje »

I just returned from a trip to Korea & Japan. Visited the Tsuruya fly shop too and will post some pictures in another topic.

But back to your question.
My Japanese friend has a Brandin 7.6ft #3 quad three piece and I asked him to bring along so I could cast it.

The cosmetics is typical Brandin with the perfect proportioned sized grip and short reel seat to the length and line weight of the rod. It’s so strange that this aspect isn’t taken more thought by makers!

It is such a light rod. The action is I think a medium action rod that still has some oomph at the butt for casting a hopper against the banks.

A Brandin, especially in this light configuration is probably impossible to find for a reasonable (?) price.

If you’re willing to let the whole ‘Brandin idea’ go, I can recommend a similar configuration by Bob Hallowell. Bob built me one (hex) and the lightness of the rod is equally amazing as the Brandin. Having fiberglass ferrules is something you might not be appreciate but it certainly reduces the weight. The action is equally to the Brandin I think now.

I fished the rod in the Spanish Pyrenees last spring and it was amazing. Bob’s price being around $1200 is I think a steal.

Brier549
Guide

Post by Brier549 »

+1 on Bob Hallowell!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I had two. One from Doug Daniels about ten years ago. A sweet 7'6" 2/2 3wt. I don't know if he is still making rods or not. Check with the folks in the California area. The second was a 7'6" 2/2 3wt. from Per Bradin. It was the first rod he ever sold and was hand delivered to the client. It was "OK" but left some to be desired as a casting tool. But that said all of the classic Brandin workmanship was flawless. I've since sold both.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

ibookje wrote:
06/02/23 06:26
A Brandin, especially in this light configuration is probably impossible to find for a reasonable (?) price.
It is probably impossible to find at an unreasonable price, too.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

I have zero interest in a brandin. Glenn seemed like it was no big deal. I am going to continue to look. Doug Daniels, I think, has posted since his retirement and I don't believe he is making more rods.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Don Schroeder has plenty of experience with quads as well.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

PYochim wrote:
06/02/23 18:23
So does Jim Downes. I was really hoping someone was going to chime in and say " I have that model" by whoever. But oh well. I will send some emails out. This config is on the horizon a bit so i have some time.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

joep wrote:
06/02/23 18:46
PYochim wrote:
06/02/23 18:23
So does Jim Downes. I was really hoping someone was going to chime in and say " I have that model" by whoever. But oh well. I will send some emails out. This config is on the horizon a bit so i have some time.
I have an 8 foot 4 weight from Don. Nice rod. Gets a lot of use.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

7.5' 3wt quad

Post by ibookje »

Here’s the Hallowell

My friend Norman trying the Hallowell on a mountain stream in the Spanish Pyrenees

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

The cosmetics on that Hallowell are pretty nice. Unique. I don't like fiberglass ferrules. We all have our little idiosyncrasies when it comes to rods and i like metal ferrules or splices. His rods have always been in the back of my head because i see them from time to time and they always look great for a reasonable price.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I asked Bob to make a grip similar to the cigar grip Gary Howells made for his light rods

I’m sure Bob could also build one with traditional NS ferrules

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I have three fiberglass ferruled rods now, they are very nice, the ferrules never stick and they are light, very happy with them. One is a 6'6" 3pce 2wt, I like a 3wt in small water, one is BFS which has handled rainbows over 20" and a 7'9" (on the way) 3pce Parabolic 4wt. All made with Japanese bamboo.
I don't think the builder makes quads though.
My Bolt is a 71/2' 3pce Hex for a 4 weight and handles a 3wt just fine.

OnTheBrink
Guide

Post by OnTheBrink »

Don Schroeder. I have the only 7’ 6” 3wt quad he has ever been asked to make. That one is a two piece. It’s a gem. I also have his 7’ 9” 3wt 3/2 quad. If there’s ever a bit of a breeze or larger flies are required, I have fished a 4wt on both rods for a deeper load and they are fantastic with either line.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”