<()))>< The Firehole

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

<()))>< The Firehole

Post by Hellmtflies »

Yesterday, my better half and I spent the afternoon on the Firehole River in YNP. We have been a bit derailed for some time from fishing due to the dreaded "Run-off". Anyway, after spending an hour and a half stuck in bison blocked traffic right at the West Entrance, we made our way to the river. Bank full and rising with a brassie ting to the color we stepped in the water that was 55 degrees. Don't listen to what the FF shops have to say. It was, well, awful. I haven't been "Skunked" for some time and my better half who knows that river so well was blanked until she finally put the steel to a plump 12" brown. That was it for the afternoon. Long day with way too many anglers flailing away and "Tomma Hawk" chopping the river surface to a froth. As for insect activity there was a solid showing of a #16 brassie colored stonefly that was unknown to both of us. But still not a single sign of surface activity. And no, nymphs failed as well. Just thought I'd forward the daily fishing report.

Now for the good news. There's is always good news somewhere. :) On the way out we decided to try a new burger joint for a bite to eat. Right next to Blue Ribbon Flies is "T R Burger". This is a must for you hungry anglers on your way out of the park who don't want any fancy dinner. For those of you who after hours on the water, fish or no fish, who want massive quantities of a high caloric food this is the place. Clean, neat and quick service gets you a marvelous burger and fries that won't break your pocketbook. Top shelf in the world of burgers. Enjoy!
Mark

P.S. I have absolutely no financial interest the burger joint. :)

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: <()))>< The Firehole

Post by PT48 »

Seems to me that you took your medicine, aka a skunking, very well Mark. It does us good - every now and then.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Sounds like the place is being loved to death or as Yogi Berra would say, "Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded."

BTW Mark, If you haven't seen the Berra documentary It Ain't Over, you're missing out on a good time. It's kind of hard to find it in the theaters but hopefully you can stream it soon.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That burger sounds mighty tasty. We’ll have to stop there.
The fishing sounds, well scenically amazing :D

Fishing in the Park is probably one of the most memorable experience as scenery goes. However the amount of people sounds like getting worse every year. Yet I always hear taking a 30-45 mins hike will loose 90% of the recreational folks

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I hate how many people go there. I gotta go soon.

Variant
Sport

Post by Variant »

Going up that way in a couple of weeks.
Will have to stop in to T R burger.

Lou
In sport, method is everything. The more the skill the method calls for, the higher its yield of emotional stir and satisfaction, the higher its place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values . RODERICK HAIG - BROWN

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

DireWolf53 wrote:
06/01/23 22:04
Sounds like the place is being loved to death or as Yogi Berra would say, "Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded."

BTW Mark, If you haven't seen the Berra documentary It Ain't Over, you're missing out on a good time. It's kind of hard to find it in the theaters but hopefully you can stream it soon.
Thanx! I've been told about the film. We've been trying to find it on Prime etc. But nowhere to be found as yet. None of the theaters here would carry that. It's on our list though. Keeping an eye open for it. 8o

redband02
Guide

Post by redband02 »

I agree with Hellmtflies. I was on the Firehole last Wednesday and Thursday. Bank to bank water, slightly tea stained. Not much catching

Wednesday got on the water near Muleshoe Bend about 1 pm, very few bugs until around 6-7 pm when a few white millers started flying around. No fish rising to them though. At that time I got quite a few on BRF''s white miller soft hackle in faster water.

Thursday was fishing down from Nez Perce Ck, in the morning, got a few bumps and landed one very small rainbow. I was fishing with "Colorado Ranger Ken" . He wasn't doing any better than me. Just one small trout in hours of fishing for him.

Also saw the brassie colored stone fly, but very very few of them. A very few mayflys and some few white millers flying around One or two fish rising intermittently.

Strong thunderstorms moved in about 1 pm, rain not so heavy at times, lightning heavy at times. Got off the water and drove back to Whitehall MT in strong thunderstorms all the way

Note: had late lunch at Firehole BBQ where to old KFC used to be. Outstanding ribs
Note, note: Stayed at the Alpine Motel for the first time. small rooms but very very clean and reasonable. Used to stay at the Evergreen, it has gotten expensive even in October. Damn inflation

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”