Where to go overseas with my 87-year-old father

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

My father would like to take a fly fishing trip overseas. He suggested New Zealand, but he’s not a terribly good fly fisherman and I’ve heard fish, though very nice, can be few a far between and require some technical fishing. I know he needs to catch fish and would love an occasional large one. Given that he also has some issues with wading/balance, what would you suggest and why?

New Zealand? Expensive and difficult fishing.
Argentina? Expensive. Difficult?
Poland/Romania? Fish aren’t huge, but very inexpensive.
Scotland/England? Heard fish can be scarce in Scotland. Lived in England for years, but history comes alive there and fishing “storied” waters could be fun.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Where to go overseas with my 87-year-old father

Post by CDCdun »

Have you considered a saltwater trip. Ascension Bay has many lodges and the fishing can be what you want it to be. By that I mean you can target difficult fish (permit), target (relatively) easier fish (bonefish), troll for barracuda or cast a spinning at them (you can also get them on a needlefish fly casting a fly rod). Honestly, if he can cast a bit he can get into bonefish there. They’re a lot of fun. No walking, you cast from a boat deck or wading in comfortable and shallow water. Food is good. Flights are pretty quick and inexpensive. The other nice thing is you can fish down there year-round. The busy season is December through April, but you can really go any time. I highly recommend Casa Blanca.

Jake

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

If you are contemplating NZ, you might want to look very closely at the fishing licence restrictions (and cost) that are now in place for overseas anglers.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

For someone with limited mobility, boat fishing is probably the only answer. And if the goal is trout fishing, the possibilities are a bit more limited, especially if a foreign trip is part of the plan. There are some places in Argentina and I think in Chile where float trips are a possibility. Alaska has multi-day float trips with camping along the way. And, though they're not in a foreign country, float trips in the American West offer great fishing and a sense of adventure. Places like the Bighorn, Big Hole, Madison, Yellowstone, Snake, Clarks Fork, etc. are great for day trips and there are even multi-day trips possible on places like the Smith, Deschutes, South Fork of the Snake, Middle Fork of the Salmon, etc. I think your best bet by far is to contact one of the major fly fishing travel agencies to explore the possibilities, foreign and domestic.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I’d agree with 16pmd.
Save the money (and logistic nightmare) of traveling to overseas and book a lodge for a Western trip where you get great guiding in float trips.

As someone living in Europe the Western USA is as good as it gets for great scenery, fishing and food

Phil13
Guide

Post by Phil13 »

Maybe Michigan for trout and smallmouth?
I’m originally from Colorado, but have grown rather fond of the smallies here in Virginia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

You may not think of it as "overseas", but Canada is a "foreign country". Big Brook trout in the Eastern provinces and Browns and Rainbows in the Canadian Rockies. Both locations have lodges and float trips.

Tight Lines- Ken

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Draw up two lists of wants and needs than decide if the trip is to satisfy your father's wish to travel or yours. Any fishing 'lodge' package at a remote site is not going to have allot to do if one person doesn't want to fish that much. Also a remote experience will have logistical issues if anyone requires medical attention.

Not knowing your father's current health status multi-day float trips can be physically hard. Some are done with rubber rafts but depending on your father's condition getting in and out of a drift boat or getting around a tent camp might be a real problem.

You might consider a sight seeing trip to another country and than schedule in a couple of random days with guides on local bodies of water. That brings down the price significantly and can make places like New Zealand, Argentina and Alaska a possibility. I thought the Canada suggestion was good, as some of the big brook trout waters involve fishing out of an aluminum boat (probably easier on a 87 year old).

Cherish your time with your dad. It may be his last chance to take a big trip, hopefully it's not yours.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Canada is indeed a foreign country, but except for French speaking Quebec, and maybe more northern regions with mostly native populations, it doesn't "feel" like it. If flying over water has to be part of the equation, Newfoundland has that covered. Flying to Alaska from Seattle probably does, too. And may be your best bet for catching fish.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

New Zealand has almost no boat fishing on rivers, and all river fishing requires walking, so unfortunately not a good choice.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

What is his ability to walk on riverbank terrain? Is he able to do a casual mile?
How is his balance standing in rocking boat?
Is he Ok with 14 to 18 hours flying and changing flights?

There are some guided lodge opportunities in NZ where the lodges are very comfortable, and with 4X4 or helicopter transport, you don’t have to walk for miles.

Some wonderful lodges in Argentina and Chile with raft and drift boat floats for big fish, and wonderful local wines and dining in the lodges.

Some of the famous beats in Scotland might be fun.

And as mentioned above, some great river floats in the US, such through Grand Teton nat. park out of Jackson with beautiful scenery, and great (but crowded) accomodations.

I agree that floating is probably the best choice for him to cover a lot of fishy water. I remember back in my guiding days, guiding two gentlemen in their late 80’s, on the Big Hole, MT. These guys had fished together for over 50 years. Probably 60 or 70 years. One gentlemen was unable to get in and out of the boat without me literally lifting him in and out of the boat and placing him in his boat seat. They both caught fish, talked about old times, loved the scenery, had great evenings at the lodge telling fish stories, some, the other guy could mouth the words with a smile, he heard it so many times.
I hope I’m doing that with my best friends when I’m knocking at 90.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I would second considering a salt water trip. For what it's worth I'm 77 and I wade fish the coast here in LA. and have been to Belize three times and am returning there again in a couple of months. The first trip was to a lodge fishing with a guide in a boat, since then I've been going to a d.i.y. lodge where I wade only.
I know there are pressured bonefish that are quite difficult to catch but they are not in Belize, I have commented before that they have an empty stomach where their brain is supposed to be! The wading is easy and if you are quiet approaching these fish and can cast 40-50 feet you can certainly catch them. There are good numbers of permit and some tarpon and snook as well and Belize is easily reached and fishes well year-round.
Jake's suggestion of a Mexican trip is certainly worth considering as well.

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

Jurassic lake Argentina,you can stand in the same place all day and catch the biggest Rainbows on earth on almost every cast,check with Fly Water Travel in Ashland Oregon they are very helpful and will let you know about other locations that fit your needs can’t go wrong with them.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

since then I've been going to a d.i.y. lodge where I wade only.
I visited Ambergris Key a number of years ago. There was not allot of fishable water without a boat. I would be curious where your DIY lodge is if you don't mind sharing. I believe the tarpon are migratory. Juveniles are available year round but the larger ones are seasonal. I found the Ladyfish to be allot of fun on light tackle. My surprise for the trip was landing 2 large Cobia on the flats. First and only encounter with this species. Not an exceptional fighter but they were both large (> 50 lbs).

Another saltwater option is La Paz Mexico. From a panga you can target Mahi, jacks, small tuna possibly rooster fish. If your dead wants a day to rest he can sit poolside, go to the beach etc,,,

I think the original poster indicated $ was a factor. Some of the options being presented (NZ Helicopter, Jurassic Lake) are $$$.

As far as getting that out of country feeling I have found fishing lodges to be much like all inclusive resorts. Once you get through customs, you transfer to the lodge and never see much of the local culture.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

jmcj1984 wrote:
06/04/23 14:44
Jurassic lake Argentina,you can stand in the same place all day and catch the biggest Rainbows on earth on almost every cast,check with Fly Water Travel in Ashland Oregon they are very helpful and will let you know about other locations that fit your needs can’t go wrong with them.
If you have roughly 30K to spend I second it.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

mlarocco, The lodge is Cayo Frances Farm and Fly, it is roughly midway up the west side of Ambergris Caye, well above the last dwellings. Comfortable camp, solar panels and generators, delicious food. There are east cape skanus, bote paddleboards and Live L2 catamaran boards to use. You can fish out of the lodge or have them tow you out to where you choose and you can fish your way back or they will pick you up. You can hire a guide to pick you up there if you choose. There is phone service. Laid back atmosphere but very accommodating staff, have very much enjoyed my trips there.

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

I have been to Jurassic 3 times and the price was no where near $30 for all the trips ,things are very expensive most places added $1000.00 US dollars to a week of fishing after the pandemic but it is still less than a lot of week destination trips.If you are in the states there are many great locations in Canada and Alaska,check with fly fishing specific travel company’s they will some times have cheep openings to help fill trips or cancelled spots available at half price.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Badger Matt wrote:
06/03/23 20:21
My father would like to take a fly fishing trip overseas. He suggested New Zealand, but he’s not a terribly good fly fisherman and I’ve heard fish, though very nice, can be few a far between and require some technical fishing. I know he needs to catch fish and would love an occasional large one. Given that he also has some issues with wading/balance, what would you suggest and why?
Given your boundary conditions, I would not recommend New Zealand - although there are exceptions. The south island has some nice spring creeks, but most fishing is quite demanding, albeit highly rewarding. I think I would suggest eastern Norway (fishing for grayling in lakes and medium-sized rivers) instead. Just avoid the Glomma - too much of a 'tourist trap' in my opinion... Or, if you can get access, the chalk streams of southern England... if you like historic, but manicured fishing.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

You might look into fishing the British chalk streams in May. Typically bank fishing (on manicured banks), large dry flies (if you're lucky.)

Badger Matt
Sport

Post by Badger Matt »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts and expertise. I just got off the phone with Yellow Dog Flyfishing and they’ve got some info and a couple catalogs inbound. Dad and I have done Alaska and a fair bit of the West so I’m fairly certain he’d prefer to go overseas.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”