7’ 6” Orvis 99

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Mr. Conductor

7’ 6” Orvis 99

Post by Mr. Conductor »

Hey fellas,

I have an Orvis 7’ 6” 3 3/4oz 99 with a 12 ferrule. It’s in great shape and fishes fantastic. However I’m hoping you can help me out. Although the 99‘s didn’t come with two tips, this has an additional tip. The issue is the second tip is about an inch and a half shorter than the tip that makes the rod 7‘6“. All of the guides line up on both tips, the second tip has the serial number where it supposed to be, it’s just a couple inches shorter at the ferrule and it doesn’t have the snake guide that is next to the ferrule. It looks exactly as if it was made from the factory that way with the same wrapping and everything. It does not look as if it’s been broken or repaired in anyway. My question is, did Orvis make custom tips for customers if they wanted something a little different than the original tip that came with the rod? The serial number is 25,631. I contacted Orvis and they told me it was made in 1959 by Skinner and Reid however, they had no information on the rod being ordered with two tips. If any of you have any insight into this Rod, it would be greatly appreciated. It’s a lovely fishing rod, and I would never part with it, just curious as to why the difference in the two tips.

I did look, and I noticed it’s not in Greg’s database. I will try to get him the information so he can add it to the list.

Thanks so much for any help,
David

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 7’ 6” Orvis 99

Post by reelsmith »

It sounds like the short tip is the original tip and it was broken and repaired, and the second tip is a addtion/replacement.

As for the repair not looking like a repair, that is not uncommon, especially if Orvis did the work.

Dean.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks for the information on #25631, David. I added the rod to my working copy of the database, and it should appear online in the January 2024 update.

I agree with Dean, the full-length tip is almost certainly a replacement for the repaired short original.

A copy & paste from my notes:
"The 7 1/2-foot, 4-oz, 13/64-ferrule, fast action taper was designed by Wes Jordan for HCH or HCF silk lines (diameter-based), which are about equivalent to DT7 of WF7 synthetic lines (weight-based).

It was intended for primary use as a basic trout rod, and it will handle large nymphs and streamers as well as dry flies down to at least #18. It’s very fast (almost graphite fast) action makes it an excellent dry fly rod.

During the tapers production life--1940s through 1975--it was available in Battenkill (1940s-1975), “99” (1955-1966) and Madison (1969-1975) grades."

Scans from the 1959 Orvis catalog:

Best regards,
Greg

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Greg,

I think you may have cut and paste the wrong section. The OP's rod is 3-3/4oz 12 ferrule rather than 4oz 13 ferrule.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

G-ManBart wrote:
06/10/23 20:24
Greg,

I think you may have cut and paste the wrong section. The OP's rod is 3-3/4oz 12 ferrule rather than 4oz 13 ferrule.

I sure did. Here's the correction:
"The 7 1/2-foot, 3 3/4-oz (Battenkill grade), 12/64-ferrule, medium action taper was designed by Wes Jordan for HDH and HDG silk lines. The nearest equivalent modern line is a DT6 or WF6. Intended for primary use as a basic trout rod, it was introduced in the 1955 and made through 1962.

It was available in Battenkill (1955-1962), Deluxe (1956-1962) and "99" (1958-1962) grades & models."

Sorry for the confusion...

Mr. Conductor

Post by Mr. Conductor »

Thanks so much for all the great information on my rod. I have had it for a little over a year and it has become my go to rod. I have paired it with a 1964 Beudex and I just love it. I do like to fish big dries so I just received the 4oz 99 version in the mail on Friday. (SN41760) I’m also going to pair it with a Garcia Beaudex. I have a feeling that my other rods will start collecting more dust and these two 7’ 6” rods will cover almost all of my fishing.

Thanks again for all of your help. You guys are great!

David

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Mr. Conductor wrote:
06/11/23 20:50
TI do like to fish big dries so I just received the 4oz 99 version in the mail on Friday. (SN41760)
You stole that one! I only say that out of jealousy :lol

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

David, Many years ago I acquired a 99 with two tips that somewhat match what you discovered. One tip is slightly shorter than the other tip which matches the butt section in length. Both have the same S/N as the butt. Mine came from a person that inherited it from her grandfather, IIRC, and had no knowledge of bamboo rods. It came with a 2 tip bag, but no tube. The wraps were dry and so I sent it off to Orvis and had them rewrap it plus build a new tube (with S/N and label). So your rod isn't unique and both rods may have had a repaired tip plus an added tip ordered at some point. I don't have it in front of me and I don't recall the ferrule size off hand.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”