California Fly Fisher Magazine

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

dale
Master Guide

California Fly Fisher Magazine

Post by dale »

I know that the sentiment on this board is generally negative toward Fly Fishing magazines. For the most part, I understand and agree. There were a few that I enjoyed reading. I felt disappointment when Northwest and Southwest Fly Fishing merged into American Fly Fishing. But California Fly Fisher was always my favorite.

Note the word "was" in the previous paragraph... I just got the current issue in the mail, and it is the last issue. There is a cryptic "(Maybe? Certainly?)" underneath his notice on the last page. I suspect that Richard (Anderson) is trying to find someone who can carry on. But he does explain that he has things he wants to do after 31 years of publication.

I'll miss this magazine.

Dale
Last edited by dale on 09/19/23 13:52, edited 2 times in total.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: California Fly Fisher Magazine

Post by 3creeks »

Wow, my issue arrived today and I hadn't opened it until reading this. Very sad. I don't have the heart to ask him for a refund for whatever issues I have left, but don't receive. I hope for his sake that most people feel the same.

Morten

Post by Morten »

I generally has a negative attitude towards fly fishing mags, unless...I have an article printed in one of them :)

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Yes, hate to see it go, but am glad I was a subscriber for so long. Terrific articles of special interest to Californians, but also many applicable to flyfishing anywhere in the country. Some excellent writers of both high quality how-to articles and fiction and essays. I'm hanging onto all my back issues, which is something I can't say about other, more prominent flyfishing magazines. Thanks to Richard Anderson for a great run as publisher.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

16pmd wrote:
09/19/23 13:00
I'm hanging onto all my back issues, which is something I can't say about other, more prominent flyfishing magazines.
Yeah, I have all issues from 1995 to the present. They used to have annual indices to articles, as well as one (or two?) cumulative indices. I wish they still did.

Dale

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Discovered it when I fished Hot and the Owens most all of one blissful summer many years ago. Picked it up hit/miss for years, but have subscribed for about last 10. Great writing— Chatham, Kenney, Barich and so many others…….Richard certainly did a great job with it, and I wish him all the best.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

It will be missed. The publication helped introduce me to a number lesser known waters in California, some of which are still on my bucket list. I still have the issue with Tom Chandler's article on Western Bamboo Renaissance that introduced me to this site and a number of wonderful bamboo rod craftsman who I have had the pleasure of meeting over the years.
Frank

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Crap.

I received the Oct 23 issue a couple weeks ago, and if this is the final issue, then it's official.

The regional Fly fishing mags will have gone the way of the Dodo Bird.

That is just sad.

The column in CA Flyfisher that I'll probably miss the most is The Foraging Angler 😟
Brian

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I'm afraid most magazines will eventually disappear in print form. I just saw where Amato Media moved all of their magazines to digital only. The cost of printing and lack of subscription base will ultimately doom all print media I'm guessing. As the individuals who made magazines like CA Flyfisher move on, I'm afraid we won't see anything to replace them. Eventually everything will likely be film based and sites like Youtube will rule the day with individuals producing their own regional specific content.

Thanks for a good run CA Flyfisher.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

TXTrout
Master Guide

Post by TXTrout »

I used to enjoy that magazine when I fished Northern California a lot. I used to run into some of the authors at times on my adventures there.

I took the mag for years, even though I ended up living about 1500 miles away.

I personally prefer to read print. I see enough on my computer at work as it is, but I know that as previously stated, the expense has become prohibitive

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

SpringCreek wrote:
10/08/23 13:13
I'm afraid most magazines will eventually disappear in print form. I just saw where Amato Media moved all of their magazines to digital only. The cost of printing and lack of subscription base will ultimately doom all print media I'm guessing. As the individuals who made magazines like CA Flyfisher move on, I'm afraid we won't see anything to replace them. Eventually everything will likely be film based and sites like Youtube will rule the day with individuals producing their own regional specific content.

Thanks for a good run CA Flyfisher.
Agree. With CA Flyfisher very likely gone, I'll be down to 2 mags. American Fly fishing & Fly Tyer. When those go to digital only (and it's inevitable), that will be it for me. I won't renew.
Brian

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

And while I renewed my sub to Fly Tyer earlier this year, I'm debating whether it's even worth renewing it again.

It's a very good mag, but with all the great fly tying tutorials out there on YouTube (the Fly Fish Food site is a great source), I'm definitely on the fence about keeping it.
Brian

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

Wow, I got an email from Richard Anderson, with good news! I am not going to ruin the surprise, but subscribers will be getting mail sometime in the future.

Dale

(I really don't have much more detail than this, but I'm certain you can guess the good news)

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Wow! Hope the news is good. He was about to buy an excellent article by me for the November issue, but folded just short. I was about to sell it elsewhere but will hold on for a little while. It is a excellent magazine.

dale
Master Guide

Post by dale »

For a tiny bit more detail,

https://www.calflyfisher.com

Dale

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

That is great news! Really looking forward to the return of CA Flyfisher this summer!
Brian

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Just got the letter in the mail from CA FlyFisher. They are under new ownership and the next quarterly issue will be mailed out this summer. One other important thing to mention. If you are a current subscriber, your subscription will be extended by 8 months, which is the length of the magazine's hiatus. You'll also get full access to a new digital site.
Brian

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Just saw that LIFE magazine rights were recently acquired and may be resurrected, too. Some magazines may still exist. I expect they will go upscale into more of a coffee table type publication for a higher cost but hopefully also better info. Would love to see something like Japan’s FlyFisher mag over here.

Return to “Book Talk”