Finding out about a gifted H. L. Leonard fly rod

Discuss various makers rods here, i.e. if the maker is not listed under its own forum please feel free to discuss them here vintage or current. I would like to keep the makers listed by an individual read-only forum so it will be easier for those interested in those makers to find specific information about the rods and the makers. If anyone has any original catalogs they could scan and pass along to me I would be pleased to use them to give a history of the maker and their models in a forum, thanks.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

mrljrl2009

Finding out about a gifted H. L. Leonard fly rod

Post by mrljrl2009 »

Hello!
My husband and I were at a an estate sale and the owner and my husband bonded over machining and fishing. The man went into his house and came back with this bag and said and I quote " I want y'all to have this because I know you'll appreciate it."
We didn't really know how to take that so we thanked him very much and wished him well on his next chapter.
We got home and took it out of the bag and we were blown away by how beautiful and well maintained it is.
The fly shop here in town said he couldn't find any info other then the name and offered us 2k for it.
We declined.
We have looked on line for the multi colored eye lid wraps but no such luck.
Any and all information on this would be wonderful!
Thank you in advance!!

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Finding out about a gifted H. L. Leonard fly rod

Post by crowebeetle »

How long is it,how many sections, are they all the same length?

mrljrl2009

Post by mrljrl2009 »

It is 8ft 4 inches..in 3 parts no they are not the same lengths.
Base piece is 38 inches
Middle piece is 34 inches
Top piece is 30 inches

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Take it back to the shop and get that 2K All sections should be the same length. If the butt section is original in length the rod would be 9.5 ft which is not a desirable length, shorter rods, 8.5 or less are preferred. It should have a second tip and it was likely rewrapped. Given the short sections and not having the 2nd tip, and you don't have the tube, take the 2K.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Take it back to the fly shop, get the $2k check, cash the check as fast as you can and then take the cash and run.

Unfortunately the rod isn't worth 10% of the offer.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

mrljrl2009 wrote:
11/17/23 18:47
We got home and took it out of the bag and we were blown away by how beautiful and well maintained it is.
The fly shop here in town said he couldn't find any info other then the name and offered us 2k for it.
We declined.
We have looked on line for the multi colored eye lid wraps but no such luck.
As suggested, the rod has conditional issues, all of which reduce its value to a number well below $2000. Frankly, I don't think any shop would have written you a check for that amount.
It has been refurbished to a non-original specification. Leonards have historically been made with a high grade varnish finish, superior to this rod. They were also wrapped with silk thread of uniform color, often red or yellow with black accents, not with this rod's rainbow pattern. Google Leonard bamboo rods and look at the images. The screw on the bottom of the butt cap wasn't put there by Leonard.
If you fish, this rod may provide you quite a few years of faithful service. But keep an eye open for final closeout ads for that shop because they couldn't find anything about a rod maker name that's been in almost constant use for over 150 years, and the shop may not last long. You could get a deal on a reel and line for that rod. A #5 floating line might work OK.

Return to “Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion”