John Gallas Passing

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: John Gallas Passing

Post by ibookje »

Don’t know John nor his wife but there’s a peaceful feeling that they are both together now.
RIP

Don Bebereia

Post by Don Bebereia »

I just read of John's passing. I am sorry, he was always such a nice man and true gentleman. He will be missed.

PMD18
Sport

Post by PMD18 »

So sorry to hear of Johns passing,
RIP

Mayfly1
Sport

Post by Mayfly1 »

I was saddened today by learning of John Gallas' death last November and then that of his wife Marion in January. I need to get on the Forum more often!
John was an inspiration and great help to me in writing the Halstead paper for The American Fly Fisher (2008, vol. 34, no. 1). His knowledge of Halstead's work was foundational. There is a great photo of John and Russ Wilson, Halstead's stepson, at the end of that paper. Wilson is the fellow who showed up at Gallas's front door in the 1990s with a stack of unfinished Halstead blanks! The story is there. Although we did not share the same political views, I enjoyed visiting his shop, smoking our pipes and talking bamboo and tapers. He did make a few Halstead commemorative rods.
I am heading up to the Catskills in a week and will fish my Gallas P93 (7'9" 5W) on the Beaverkill where John and I fished. RIP my friend. JF
Formerly known on this site as BluDun55

Return to “Forum Announcements”