Thoughts on adhesives

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

mduval
Guide

Re: Thoughts on adhesives

Post by mduval »

For what it’s worth, a recent email exchange of mine on Cascophen/Resorcinol.

BGreer
Master Guide

Re: Thoughts on adhesives

Post by BGreer »

I use Nyatex and I think it is great for several reasons.

I buy it right from the manufacturer. It has a long shelf life.
Mixing is simple..... 1:1 by volume. You mix it, let it sit for 15 minutes, mix it again and it is ready to go.
It has a long working time. I'm never hurried to get a rod section through the binder.
You don't have to worry about moisture content of the bamboo.
It is a very strong glue. I'd also add that it is pretty waterproof. I have a cutoff that has been under water for almost 6 months. The glue is still hard.
I heat set the glue, so I can glue up, bind, and heat set it a matter of a few hours.
Some folks have complained about having trouble getting the binding string off of a section after it is heat set.
I use nylon thread and have not had problems.

The one thing that is definitely a con is that once the glue is set, straightening can be difficult. It takes quite a bit of heat to straighten a section.
That may be a little unnerving on fine tips. Large butt sections are a pain in the rear, it take a little while to get enough heat into the center of the section. I take a low and slow approach to the butt sections.
It's best to be sure your sections are straight before you heat set.

Brian

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”