8 ft Hull ?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

sal678

8 ft Hull ?

Post by sal678 »

Just bought a M Hull rod off of eBay. Looks to be in excellent shape. It's arriving today. Any ideas what the likely line weight might be ? Been looking for a Hull rod off and on most of my life. I lived across the street from him growing up in Kenmore, NY.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 8 ft Hull ?

Post by quashnet »

Congratulations on finally locating a Minert Hull rod. Based on previous forum discussions, it's clear you've been waiting a long time for this moment. There's no way to predict the optimal line weight in advance. When you receive the rod, inspect it carefully for any cracks in the cane, loose ferrules or other issues. Start test-casting with a lighter fly line, perhaps a four-weight. Take your time and work your way up into heavier line weights until you find the one that's right. Think of this process of discovery as part of the enjoyment of your Hull rod. Best wishes!
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Pictures?

Thanks, Jay Edwards

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Looks like a 6 or 7 to me. Stout tips. Start with a 6 and go up and down from there.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Apparently, it’s an impregnated rod from the collection of Thomas H. Clark. It sold previously on the Vintage Freestone Tackle website and was offered as a 6wt there:
https://www.freestonevintagetackle.com/ ... bamboo-rod
Did you know what was going on across the street when you were a kid? What a beautiful discovery!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”