Newcomer to silk fly fishing

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Muscarit

Newcomer to silk fly fishing

Post by Muscarit »

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum! I would like to start fishing with silk fly lines and by reading the post on this subject I found that a good choice will be to buy from Peche a soie. I have read the instructions they provide on their website in which they state that you cannot use mucilin (both types, not just the green one which contains silicon) and my question is if anyone which posses such a silk fly line have broken this rule or which alternative has found for dressing-other provider or homemade recipe?
Thank you in advance!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Newcomer to silk fly fishing

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Check your PM in upper right hand corner.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

A product called Otter Butter

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I use otter butter on mine too. Been about 4 years now. I use the stuff they sent with the line as fly floatant.

John

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

The Otter Butter was a revelation for me (wish it had been developed sooner). My lines float far-longer than with the traditional Red Muclin (4-5 hours versus 2-3 hours in some cases). Otter Butter has brought silk lines into the modern age IMHO. They aren't nearly the liability or even the work they once were.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Since I started using otter butter I’ve never had to swap a line end for end, and that includes days that I have fished 10 or 12 hours.

Muscarit

Post by Muscarit »

Thank you all for the answers, so the best dressing to use will be Otter Butter

Muscarit

Post by Muscarit »

How much time can use a single one?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Are you asking how long a tin lasts? It depends on how much you fish. If you fish silk a few times a year it will last many many years. If you fish 100 days a year with silk, maybe a 2 years. You don’t have to treat the whole line every time, just the part you are using.

John

BSAGuy
Guide

Post by BSAGuy »

Just wanted to welcome you here, Muscrait. good luck with your silk journey. That is on my to do list also.
Be Prepared

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Muscrait: in the FWIW collumn.....many of the blue-collar classic rods were made to be used with silk lines (their smaller line guides are a clue), silk is 1/3 the diameter of modern plastic lines and yet has 3 times the density. Silk floats on top of the water by repelling it and comes off in a cast much more smoothly than a modern line (that floats with buoyancy), and finally... silk is less affected by wind and currents because of its density and diameter advantages over modern line. Try it, you'll probably like it (as will your rod).
Last edited by lloyd3 on 04/09/24 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Muscarit

Post by Muscarit »

BSAGuy wrote:
03/31/24 06:14
Just wanted to welcome you here, Muscrait. good luck with your silk journey. That is on my to do list also.
Thank you! I hope you will use soon such a fly line!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I think silk is about 2/3 the diameter of an equivalent plastic line and roughly 1.5 times as dense.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Godfroy: 25-years or so ago that wasn't the case. The newer flylines are much better than what we were dealing with in the 80s & 90s. I suspect that the plastics used then were fatter (to allow for more buoyancy). My Thebault lines (from Olaf Borge, the silk line whore!) were much thinner than any Cortland 444s available. The difference was night and day (& no bunching-up in the line guides of the '50s era rods!).

Fish were fatter then too(!) at least in Wyoming.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

lloyd3 wrote:
04/09/24 10:09
Godfroy: 25-years or so ago that wasn't the case. The newer flylines are much better than what we were dealing with in the 80s & 90s. I suspect that the plastics used then were fatter (to allow for more buoyancy). My Thebault lines (from Olaf Borge, the silk line whore!) were much thinner than any Cortland 444s available. The difference was night and day (& no bunching-up in the line guides of the '50s era rods!).

Fish were fatter then too(!) at least in Wyoming.
If you measure your Thebaults and corresponding plastic lines you will find Godfroy is right. I have 10 of them and most are nowhere near 1/3 the diameter of a plastic lines, which I have from the 80’s through recent day. Plastic line diameters haven’t changed much if at all in the past 40 years when comparing lines of the same weight. The difference from memory between plastic and silk is in the order of 10-15 thou on a 40-55 thou line (trout sizes). At the tip end the difference are typically greater - it can be closer to 50% - but I’ve never measured and part of a silk line anywhere close to 33% of an equivalent plastic line diameter. If one pulls out a micrometer I’m confident they won’t either.

John

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

BigTJ wrote:
03/29/24 11:11
Since I started using otter butter I’ve never had to swap a line end for end, and that includes days that I have fished 10 or 12 hours.
What’s in Otter Butter that makes it so good?

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Bits of real Otter…

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Flykuni3 wrote:
04/09/24 12:20
BigTJ wrote:
03/29/24 11:11
What’s in Otter Butter that makes it so good?
Without spilling the beans completely, which would be disrespectful to the originator of the formula who has shared candid info with me by PM, Otter Butter’s unique mix of mineral-based and natural waxes are less tacky and have more staying power than traditional animal-fat based products.

Maybe get a tin and try it compared to red mucilin (or equivalent) and decide for yourself. For me it was no contest.

Snake oil by Jaime at Zen is pretty good too, although my experience with it is far more limited.

Cheers,

John

PS thankfully Rich no real otters were harmed in the making of their namesake butter!!

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Well that’s a relief!!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

When I am fishing with plastic lines I use Otter Butter on my furled leaders. Paul.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”