Who Made This Fairy Rod?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

aguafriarods
Sport

Who Made This Fairy Rod?

Post by aguafriarods »

Hi Folks. I’m hoping to get some help identifying a fairy rod I acquired last year. Specifics - 7’6”, 3/2, 9/64 & 14/64 ferrules, 2 3/4 oz. English snakes with 1915 patent Perfection tip tops and a tiny agate stripper. Wrapped deep red (magenta) at grip, guides, and tips. Intermediates and trim wraps look to be olive. Tips are super slim - .054 over varnish. 4 3/4” grip with 3 3/4” mortised cork seat. Nickel silver cap and ring hardware. The cap is an unusual tapered and stepped arrangement. Came put up in a tan bag and 1 1/2” twist lock aluminum tube. Only marking on the rod is “465” inked on the butt at the ferrule. Any help with identifying the maker would be appreciated.

Imageimage hosting sites
Last edited by aguafriarods on 05/14/24 18:48, edited 2 times in total.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Re: Help Identify This Fairy Rod

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

If you want to sell it, PM me.

All the best,
Ed
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Peales
Master Guide

Re: Who Made This Fairy Rod?

Post by Peales »

My first impression was a Divine. But there are a number of indicators that would suggest otherwise. I’m wondering if it has been modified over the years? The wraps, ferrules, and the cap/ring are a bit of a mystery. The ferrules, cap, and ring in particular appear to be new/unused. Also, the brushed finish on the cap would be somewhat unusual for an old rod.

This type of rod is of interest to me as well. Hopefully someone can make a positive ID.

IndustryConnect1

LL Bean rod

Post by IndustryConnect1 »

Hello,
I am new on here and cannot create a post so I had to reply to yours. I recently inherited my great grandfather’s fly fishing collection, and found this L.L. Bean bamboo rod. Wondering if somebody could help me identify/date it?

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

aguafriarods wrote:
05/14/24 16:14
Hi Folks. I’m hoping to get some help identifying a fairy rod I acquired last year. Specifics - 7’6”, 3/2, 9/64 & 14/64 ferrules, 2 3/4 oz. English snakes with 1915 patent Perfection tip tops and a tiny agate stripper. Wrapped deep red (magenta) at grip, guides, and tips. Intermediates and trim wraps look to be olive. Tips are super slim - .054 over varnish. 4 3/4” grip with 3 3/4” mortised cork seat. Nickel silver cap and ring hardware. The cap is an unusual tapered and stepped arrangement. Came put up in a tan bag and 1 1/2” twist lock aluminum tube. Only marking on the rod is “465” inked on the butt at the ferrule. Any help with identifying the maker would be appreciated.

aguafriarods,
I believe you have an early Cross rod. Not sure which grade (an Essex perhaps), but the signature wraps might help with determining the grade. The Cross 7'6" doublebuilt model was listed at "about 3 oz." in 1922. Beautiful rod and rather uncommon. Congrats.
Joel

Here is a similar rod from a previous thread: viewtopic.php?t=59938&hilit=cross+essex
Last edited by 2dabacking on 05/15/24 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

+1 on Cross

If there are no markings besides the s/n on the rod, it may be a transition rod as Cross became part of South Bend.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Kave
Master Guide

Post by Kave »

+2 for Cross.

I'm thinking it may have been refinished at some point, at least the varnish and maybe the wraps but it was done well. That's a Cross wrap pattern and color combo I've seen before. The ferrules are in very good condition which makes me think they might possibly be replicas (notice the thickness of the flat band below the roll of the welt). If so, those are nice also. I haven't seen reel seat hardware like that on a Cross. I think those may be replacements. There are many here on the forum more familiar than me with early Cross but these are just a few things that caught my eye. Wonderful looking rod.

Assuming it's a Cross, that serial number indicates early and singlebuilt. It would be a Forsyth grade and possibly a Model 122 which is 7 1/2', 3oz with cork reel seat.

IndustryConnect1, You should start a separate thread with your rod so members can identify that separately.

IndustryConnect1

Re: LL Bean rod

Post by IndustryConnect1 »

IndustryConnect1 wrote:
05/15/24 09:51

Hello,
I am new on here and cannot create a post so I had to reply to yours. I recently inherited my great grandfather’s fly fishing collection, and found this L.L. Bean bamboo rod. Wondering if somebody could help me identify/date it?

Kave
Master Guide

Post by Kave »

IndustryConnect1,

Check you private messages. Click tab on upper right of page.

aguafriarods
Sport

Post by aguafriarods »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your input. Regarding the condition of the nickel silver bits - all was covered with a fine green oxidation (verdigris). They were polished with a Miracle polishing cloth and Nevr-Dull wadding, resulting in the current bright condition. I used no abrasives. While cleaning them up, I noticed both female ferrules were loose. Indeed, they pulled right off with little effort. The ferrule stations and ferrules were cleaned of the powdered original glue, reglued, and rewrapped. I can say categorically that the ferrules have the same deeply serrated tabs that the previously posted rod does (#5 above). The finish, while still very nice, is clearly old and likely original. Same with the wraps (minus female ferrules). I’m inclined to believe this is a pre Jordan, Lynn Cross Forsyth model 121 (see this post - viewtopic.php?t=51459)

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”