Reuben Cross Biography?

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Ear4
Master Guide

Reuben Cross Biography?

Post by Ear4 »

I see in an event schedule at the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum that there is a talk from Richard Lodge on a new Reuben Cross biography.

Anyone know the title? Anything else about the book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Reuben Cross Biography?

Post by creakycane »

Wondering the same thing….

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

There have been several articles about the tragic life of Rube Cross. One of the more elaborate writings is in Mike Valla’s amazing book ‘The Founding Flies’.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Will be coming out shortly! I have seen a draft and it was very good!!!!!

Tom

Franknrod
Guide

Post by Franknrod »

During which event is Richard Lodge scheduled to speak? I could not find it on the Museum website.
Frank Payne

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

I am excited for the book. Having read Mike’s books and really everything I can find on Catskills fly fishing and flies, I look forward to adding to the library.

The talk is listed as 15 minutes of the Pete Hidy and the flymph event on May 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

What was the tragic about Rube's life?

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

billems wrote:
05/21/24 05:19
What was the tragic about Rube's life?
As discussed by Ed Van Put in Trout Fishing in the Catskills (2007), in May 1941 a fire destroyed Cross's rented home and all of its contents. The home was described as a "veritable museum" of Catskill artifacts, all of which were lost, as well as all of Cross's fly tying tools and materials. Cross subsequently moved to Providence, RI, where he died in 1958, having never returned to the Catskills. The late fly tier Al Brewster knew Cross during his time in Providence, when Brewster was a young man working for the railroad. Albert told me that Cross would get together with other fly tiers, but it was difficult to convince him to show the group any special fly tying methods. The trick was to start tying a fly all wrong, but claim that you were doing it right. Then Cross would get upset, shout "That's not how you do it," grab a vise and start to tie a proper fly.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Basically his life was ruined
It’s worth a movie maybe

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

upstate wrote:
05/17/24 05:47
Will be coming out shortly! I have seen a draft and it was very good!!!!!

Tom
Thanks Tom. Do you know the publisher?

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I am sure I will buy the book as I love anything Catskills. Being an avid book collector I have most everything on Rube in various books. Seriously question how the writer can get anything new and interesting on Rube that I have not already read as all the people that would have known Rube have been dead for years. Just wonder if the book will be made up of exerts from other literature. From what I know I cannot say his life was all that tragic or worthy of a full length film. Tying flies for a living is not all that profitable though it is fun meeting some of the fisherman. This stuff does get over romanticized by the great writers of our time. Do enjoy his story and looking forward to yet another fishing book.

Know Mac Francis was doing a book on the Darbee's before he passed and hoping that might be released. Great writer.
Last edited by bob2935 on 05/23/24 08:11, edited 3 times in total.

RKLodge
Sport

Re: Reuben Cross Biography -- Coming soon!

Post by RKLodge »

Thanks to all of you for your interest in my biography, "The Rise of The Neversinker: Fly Tier Rube Cross." I gave a short presentation about it Saturday at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum -- my first chance to talk publicly about the book -- and was grateful for the reception I got. We are aiming for the book to be available mid June to early July. It's a paperback, heavily illustrated, with what I feel is a good amount of new information and detail about Rube's life and his legacy in the annals of Catskill style fly tying. I'll share a website within a few days with information about Rube Cross and ordering the book or you can contact me directly with your email with a note (use the private message function) and I'll be sure to let you know when it's available and reserve a copy for you. Here's the cover, designed by James Dunbar. Stay tuned!
Richard K. Lodge

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Richard, congratulations on the book and thanks for letting us know more about it.

PM sent to get on on line to buy a copy. I can’t wait to read it!

Ed

hardyboy
Sport

Post by hardyboy »

Congratulations Richard! Looking forward to reading it.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Looking forward to reading this

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Sounds like a page turner. Looking forward to it.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Richard,

I'm so glad you wrote this book! It's been sorely needed for decades. Cross was my hero when I first started tying flies as a 12 year old back in the early 1970's. I checked his book, "Tying American Trout Lures" out of the library many times.

I sent you a PM through the forum.

Return to “Book Talk”