Winston Leetle Fellers: Exactly what are they?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Winston Leetle Fellers: Exactly what are they?

Post by Hellmtflies »

Well, here's my "Leetle Feller". This is the rod that PT48 describes above. Though a 2 5/8 oz. rod, I like it best with a DT3F. A DT4F works too but I find it to be much more pleasant and accurate with the 3wt. And, as PT48 has seen, a shorter leader is the key. ;) That and a, well, skilled hand helps. :rollin My understanding is that the wood spacer was an option.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

you sure know how to put a rod in the spotlight Mark! :eek
Great little rod.
Now match it up with a Stalker?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:you sure know how to put a rod in the spotlight Mark! :eek
Great little rod.
Now match it up with a Stalker?
Hey, any time you care to let that Stalker go....................:)

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

If I do, I'll deliver it personally to you my friend :D

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:If I do, I'll deliver it personally to you my friend :D

"OK" That works! :)

Marysfan
Sport

Post by Marysfan »

snorider wrote:VERY nice Marysfan! Have you ever cast or fished it? That is a bucket list rod for me, a sub 7' 3wt Winston would be PERFECT for several of my (very) little haunts!
I will probably keep this one as it is. The plastic is still on the grip.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

slw wrote:Reading this thread this morning and seeing Peter Schwab mentioned, reminded me that quite a few years ago FFM published a lengthy letter written by Schwab c. 1948. Here's part of the letter that mentions the first Leetle Feller rod. He was apparently plain spoken. :-)
Thank you, very interesting!
Is it possible to post the whole letter? There is so 'leetle' ( ;) ) written about the Leetle Feller
Last edited by ibookje on 10/08/18 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Beautiful rod! Does the Featherweight work well, or do you need to go lighter/smaller?

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Mark: Most excellent photographs. Thank you very much.

I could ramble on, and on; but, that's enough. There was much about "Leeter Fellers" in Gary Howells papers, and correspondence from his associates.

While I don't have enough Winston history, there are indications from the lettering that your rod was wrapped by GHH himself. Please, anyone, correct me, even though this rod appears to have originated in Montana.

Joe here

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

wctc1 wrote:Mark: Most excellent photographs. Thank you very much.

I could ramble on, and on; but, that's enough. There was much about "Leeter Fellers" in Gary Howells papers, and correspondence from his associates.

While I don't have enough Winston history, there are indications from the lettering that your rod was wrapped by GHH himself. Please, anyone, correct me, even though this rod appears to have originated in Montana.

Joe here
Interesting. Please keep me posted if more surfaces.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

I just looked thru my photos of the inscriptions on a pair of GHH's personal rods I had the pleasure of casting at the Bozeman gathering and I will concur, the writing is VERY similar to Mr Howells. That is a beauty Mark and great photos as well!

Here is a photo of one of Gary's inscriptions, not mine but I wish it was, both the photo and the rod.Image
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I seriously doubt Gary Howells signed Mark's rod since he left Winston in 1969. I own Leetle Feller #1810 7' 2 5/8oz. built by Glenn in Sept. 1979 and the signature on my rods is identical to Mark's. Mark's rod was built in 1984. I doubt Gary was wrapping or signing rods although he spent time visiting the Winston shop during his summer fishing trips to Montana.

Dennis
Click to enlarge

Last edited by firehole on 10/08/18 15:15, edited 6 times in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I got the excellent book about Gary Howells written by Joseph Beelart.
Are there any parts about the Leetle Feller in this book? An index is absent so it's quite a chore to look for it manually :D

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

firehole wrote:I seriously doubt Gary Howells signed Mark's rod since he left Winston in 1969. I own Leetle Feller #1810 7' 2 5/8oz. built by Glenn in Sept. 1979 and the signature on my rods is identical to Mark's. Mark's rod was built in 1984. I doubt Gary was wrapping or signing rods although he spent time visiting the Winston shop during his summer fishing trips to Montana.

Dennis
Click to enlarge

So far I have to agree with Dennis here. The letter "s" on his rod is quite a bit different than the one on mine. But I'm keeping an open mind here.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Well there goes my career as a graphologist ::)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I thought those "Leetle Fellers" were like Artesians! That they only came out at night! If you remember the old Olympia beer TV commercials you know what I'm talking about!

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

firehole wrote:I seriously doubt Gary Howells signed Mark's rod since he left Winston in 1969. I own Leetle Feller #1810 7' 2 5/8oz. built by Glenn in Sept. 1979 and the signature on my rods is identical to Mark's. Mark's rod was built in 1984. I doubt Gary was wrapping or signing rods although he spent time visiting the Winston shop during his summer fishing trips to Montana.

Dennis
FWIW, after leaving Winston to go out on his own in 1969, Gary still "helped out" at the Winston shop in San Francisco from time to time. In fact, that's where I met him in 1971 or possibly, 1972. In the 'back shop', with apron on, working on rods.

When Doug Merrick would get behind on rod orders and/or repairs, Gary would come over from his home/shop in the East Bay (Richmond) to lend a hand. This happened regularly until Winston's purchase and re-location to Twin Bridges, MT.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

I was in the Winston Rod Company factory last week. There is a small history museum in the front showroom that has a display of rods through Winstons’history. I noticed the rod labeled as a “light Fella” is 2 3/4 oz.. Is the display wrong?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I was there in 2018 and saw it too.
Also the Stalker (fiberglass) was labelled wrong.
Can't understand nobody at Winston notices this...

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

bluejayee wrote:
11/15/08 08:58
Hi Guys, During my 'Haight' scene 1965-67 I'd go to Winston's when they were downtown on a street that, I think, paralleled Market St. It was an old store front with the 12' ceiling. There was a long glass counter on the right with nothing in it, but on it would be Polly Rosborough flies. Oh, maybe there was some stuff in it, but what? There was a partition at the back of the 'showroom' behind which I had,at the time, no idea what went on. Work. On the left along the wall was a rod rack with like 5 foot or so rods on the left and 'Rising from the Plains' through the foothills to the peak of Mount Whitney [you get the pcture, eh?] on the right were the famed steelhead rods of 9', 9 1/2', !0', etc. It impressed me, and impresses me to this day. They were all single tip and all $100. I'd see guys in the well at the Golden Gate Park casting pools using 'shooting heads' and Winston and Fenwick rods practicing for the Russian, Eel or Klamath. It was a beautiful time. Jay Edwards
Nice, but we wanna hear about when you were hangin' out with the Dead and Janis and you woke up in Golden Gate park without a stitch on, that sort of thing.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”