Made a new rod lately version 1.2

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Hi folks,

385 posts on the last thread seem to be plenty to me. The original thread is one of my all time favorites on the Classic Flyrod Forum.

I'll start off a new thread with an identical purpose -- just to give us an opportunity to show what we are working on now, or have just completed.

Here's a few shots of a 6'+ three weight made for a board member. I understand he will give it to his twelve-year-old son. You gotta envy that young man, huh? Excuse the mediocre photos, please.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

I like that rod a lot Harry! Very nice color combinations, and everything else I would expect from you.Image
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

Harry, are you going to use the butt cap stamp and signature on your rods going forward?

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Dennis,

I doubt I will stop signing the shaft of the rod any time soon. I think it adds a personal touch that even a stamped butt cap does not. Besides that, I don't mess with making screw locking seats. I buy them instead. And it's too much trouble to get the stamping done on various shapes and sizes of seats.

Harry

Light Cahill
Guide

Post by Light Cahill »

I have been working for about a year now and these are some of the rods I'm working. They are the first complete rods I have built. I still have lots of problems to work out, but I did catch some really nice Blue Gill on the 7 footer yesterday. It was worth the effort.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

LC,

Looking good! Are there are coupla almost complete rods with wooden handles in there? If so, tell us more about how you've done that, please.

Harry

Light Cahill
Guide

Post by Light Cahill »

Harry, thank you..The two wood handles is a funny story. I have been burning this wood in the fireplace for two years. Last year I finally bought a wood lathe that I have wanted since my teenage years. So I needed something to turn, went out to the fire pile and grabbed a log. Started turning it and was shocked at how nice the wood was. I have seen other rod's with wood so I took specs off of a GW cork grip that I like and just made one. I never had any training on the lathe but it just seems to be natural for me. Now if I could just the cosmetics on my rods to clean up. I really an not happy with the finish at all.

<
Last edited by Light Cahill on 05/18/09 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

A friend is retiring this summer. This was his retirement present, a Dickerson 8013, first time I've made the 1951 version. I made the wood box out of cherry. Embedded rare earth magnets hold the box shut.

Lee
Almightyrod.com

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

LC,

I love the wooden handles from the fireplace. Reminds me that I have some 10 year old oak crotch here I need to cut up for inserts.

LK,

When you get a minute, I'd love to see more of that cherry box and its contents.

Harry

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

Harry:

All the best,

Lee
Almightyrod.com

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Superb, Lee. One of these days I'm going to make the strips for one of those really cool reel seats you do. And the cherry box is way cool.

Harry

matsoberg
Master Guide

Post by matsoberg »

Ok Harry, this is my first contribution to the new thread. Single tip 5wt Driggs River finished a few weeks ago. Had some fun with the smooth evening light...

Thanks for looking,

// Mats

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Well done, Mats.

HB

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thought I might add a few more. Here's one of two Dry Run Creek Specials I made this Spring. This is a seven foot four weight. I also make this rod in a 7' 6" five weight. This is an entry level, single tipped rod. The reel seat is an REC aluminum slide band with walnut filler. Wraps are medium brown.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Here's another rod I just completed. It goes out next week to a gentleman named "Peacock". Notice the peacock themed engraving on the reel seat hardware.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

One more, then I'll quit for this afternoon. Can you tell I've been tied up with photos lately and been forced out of the shop by an illness in the family?

This one is for me. It's a three piece 8' five weight wrapped Payne brown, tipped purple and gold in honor of all fans of the LSU Tigers. My daughter is a senior at LSU, and I'm a proud Papa.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

The latest from the cave Image for your perusal;

A 7' 2/3 weight Named "The Willow"
Mortised with Willow, The rod weighs 80 grams and is a dream in close with a very smooth full flexing action.
Loosely based upon the Hawes 2/3

This Rod will Be on its way to its new home in a couple of weeks and it is going to Maine to a very special person!!!Image
Still finishing its case which will be very uniqueImage

Jeff

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Yikes!! Image

pvansch1
Administrator

Post by pvansch1 »

Fantastic looking rods all of you!!
I'm sure their owners / new owners will enjoy and appreciate them.
Pete

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Hang in there my friend as it is close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The inscription that you can not see Reads "Made For Sante Giuliani"

The Trout (made of Ivory and ebony and coral) Playing the Banjo (made of Bronze and Mother of Pearl and ebony and Ivory and NiS) on the the form fit has been a real challenge but it is coming together quite nicely!!!!!!!!

My small tribute to Banjo for the Daniels but also for all he has done for us.

Thanks Sante!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrible tease huh?

your gnome

Jeff

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”