Made a new rod lately version 1.2

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

PMQ

Post by bugslinger »

Edited due to kma
Last edited by Titelines on 03/05/22 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for vulgarity

Godfroy
Master Guide

Re: Made a new rod lately version 1.2

Post by Godfroy »

6'6", DT 4, 3 piece, Cattanach taper; this rod has aluminum bronze, truncated, step-down ferrules and Torzite guides.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

My latest.... #158 ~ 7'#4 ~ finished - March 2022 (#1 ~ finished in 1996 after building all the needed equipment....) :)
r :)

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Well my first one is done finally after an 8 year journey from when I first decided I wanted to build one till now. Only started the actual build a year ago, alongside a mate building an identical rod but here it is. Cattanach SirD 7’ 2 pce/ 2 tips.
Sliding band reel seat and ferrules from Tony Young, I turned up the burl from some sort of Eucalyptus I had under the lathe. Pretty happy with first go, it casts like a dream.I’ve got room for improvement on the next one, think I’ll do a Dickerson 8’5wt 3pce.

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

Congratulations Recidivist13! Great job! Wish my first rod looked half as good. Now go catch a fish. (Love the Eucalyptus burl.)

Willis

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Excellent first effort!

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

Thanks for your kind words Gents, looking forward to the next one. Going to attempt a hex rod tube for it in coming months.

ddray
Sport

Post by ddray »

Here are a couple 8'-0" 3pcs, 4/5wts, dressed in antique gold silks with black trim accents. Inspired by Jan96, is my attempt at a bamboo and mahogany reel seat insert with the other being made of spalted maple. Ferrules, not mine, I blued heavily with Brass Black and left the crowns nickel to show through the wraps slightly.

Darrin, hobby builder from So. Cal

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

A nice pair of rods. Well done

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddray
Sport

Post by ddray »

Thank you, gents

Phil13
Guide

Post by Phil13 »

Beautiful rods, every one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I've only been building rods for 5 years and I have stepped up my production in the past year or so with the aid of a multi track beveler. I've been remiss in posting photos of some of the finished ones. Last year I built three 7'6" rods based on classic tapers in the 4 weight class. This is a Dickerson 7612 based on the taper in The Lovely Reed. Lightly flamed cane with Bellinger reel seat and a grip that I turned myself. The ferrules are CSE #13 step downs. The wraps are Gossamer classic chestnut with blonde shellac as a first sealer coat (3 coats actually) followed by two coats of Epifanes on the wraps. The rod was then coated with Epifanes by the turkey baster method, which works very well after heating up the varnish. I still have not fished this rod and I don't know when I will get the chance to, with living in LA, work and going to Missouri to visit our new grandson in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll find the time before the season ends.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

3creeks wrote:
07/03/22 23:02
I've only been building rods for 5 years and I have stepped up my production in the past year or so with the aid of a multi track beveler. I've been remiss in posting photos of some of the finished ones. Last year I built three 7'6" rods based on classic tapers in the 4 weight class. This is a Dickerson 7612 based on the taper in The Lovely Reed. Lightly flamed cane with Bellinger reel seat and a grip that I turned myself. The ferrules are CSE #13 step downs. The wraps are Gossamer classic chestnut with blonde shellac as a first sealer coat (3 coats actually) followed by two coats of Epifanes on the wraps. The rod was then coated with Epifanes by the turkey baster method, which works very well after heating up the varnish. I still have not fished this rod and I don't know when I will get the chance to, with living in LA, work and going to Missouri to visit our new grandson in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll find the time before the season ends.

It is a nice looking rod. I have one of those Bellinger reel seats but there is no rod attached to it yet.

I like one-tip rods. Building for oneself and trying out tapers, it makes sense to build six sections making three one-tip rods as opposed to two rods with two tips.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Thank you. I actually built two tips for each of the three rods but I only finished out one for each. You're right in that I am merely trying out tapers since I've never cast an original of anything. Well, except for my Granger 9050. I don't think I could improve on that and I will probably never attempt to build one.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Just finished an 8'6" 4 piece 5 weight. Hope to try this one out in Montana this year in prep for a trip to Patagonia in January.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Nice work guys...

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Just finished a 7'9" 4 weight hollow built quadrate with fiberglass ferrule. Very fine tip makes this rod cast well close in as well as at distance.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

8 foot, 3 piece, #4, Cattanach taper from Wayne Cattanach's book. Nodeless construction.

dbeerbower
Guide

Post by dbeerbower »

8’6” 3 piece Payne Canadian Canoe 7wt.
This rod surprised me with the power it has and yet it casts beautifully close in too. Made this for drift boat trips for large trout and striped bass. Can’t wait to get out and try it.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”