SPEY ROD TAPERS

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

FLY AWAY RODS

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by FLY AWAY RODS »

DOES ANY ONE HAVE OR KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SPEY ROD TAPERS? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by Tom Smithwick »

There have been a number of them posted over the years at the rodmakers list. If you go to the rodmakers site unter "software" an hit the link to Frank Stetzers online hexrod, you can find searchable archives. Search for spey tapers, and scandanavian tapers, and you should find some.
in 5" increments, what follows is a 12 ft 7 weight.
.078, .102, .118,.136,.154,.170,.184,.200,.216,.230,.244,.258,.272,.286,.300,.312,.325,.338,.351,.364,.377,.392,.406,.420,.434,.449,.463,.478,.493
This is an adadptation of a Bill Waara taper that I thought needed a little more stiffness in the butt.
Bob Millward has one or two tapers in his book, also

wolfeman

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by wolfeman »

How do i get a copy of Bob's book?
-Scott

FLY AWAY RODS

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by FLY AWAY RODS »

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO I WILL TRY THAT. STIFFNESS IN THE BUTT SECTIONS SEAMS TO BE THE NORM, AT LEAST THE ONES I HAVE CAST.

FLY AWAY RODS

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by FLY AWAY RODS »

SORRY CAN'T FIND THE SITE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.MAYBE I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHICH RODMAKERS SITE?

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Here is the link
www.uwm.edu/~stetzer/hexrod.html

If you put "spey tapers" into the search engine, matching either word, you will come up with the info.
As far as Bob's book. I think I got it from Darrel Lee, out in California.

gespliesste
Master Guide

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by gespliesste »

I'd appreciate getting the guide spacing for the Bill Waara Spey rod.
Thanks

brooklyn fly fisher

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by brooklyn fly fisher »

Me too. But I also assume one could use a graphite 12.5' spey rod as a guide...a sage?

JW

tapermaker
Master Guide

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by tapermaker »

Tom smithwick, i would be careful dealing with darrell lee out in cal.I purchased wrapping thread over the internet from him a year and a half ago ,and dispite repeated attempts to get what i ordered he has yet to make good.!!!!!!!Image

wctc1
Master Guide

SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by wctc1 »

Copy for sale on Advanced Book Exchange -- $125.

www.abebooks.com/

I just used basic search with "Milward" & "bamboo" under key word.

You might have some luck with some of the other book engines or in advanced search. With so few copies printed, looks like $ or patience is the answer to buying a Milward.

Joe Beelart
Writer of soon to be released "Oregon Bamboo."

gunner45

Re: Guide spacing and size for Waara 12.5 spey

Post by gunner45 »

Finally got around to attempting my first two hand rod. I selected the Waara 12.5' spey as my first attempt.
I have all three sections finished and have begun mounting ferrules. I have attempted to locate a reliable source for the guide spacing and guide size for this taper. Additionally, can anyone suggest a length for the handle and reel seat?
Regards,
Marty LaBrusciano
Buffalo, Wy

TXTrout
Master Guide

Re: SPEY ROD TAPERS

Post by TXTrout »

Marty,

Typically the upper handle of a "spey" rod will be the same length in inches as the rod is in feet, so 12.5". The lower handle will be about 40% of upper handle length, so 5".

I would suggest that you use an uplocking reel seat as a down locker on a bamboo two handed rod. Normal length reel seat will be fine. Put the recess in the lower grip.

As for guides, start with #2 and end with a #5 or #6 before the stripping guide. I would use at least 11 guides on the rod. I myself would actually use 12.

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

Txtrout gives good info.

I would make the top of the handle be around 23" (+/- .5") or so from the end of the butt on a 12'.6" rod. Not sure of the logic as to why that position for the top of handle but it seems to work out. Lower handle fairly short like 5" with down locking hardware that is inletted into the handle so you get the reel as far down rod as possible from the top of handle (your pivot point when holding the rod while swinging the fly). No fun holding the tip up all day when fishing. Guide spacing varies based on how the rod bends so cannot help with exact guide locations but I would put 1 guide (stripper) on the butt, 4 guides on the mid (1 is a stripper) and 6 on the tip. Guide sizes on the strippers ... I've been using size 16 and 12 metal Pac Bay guides lately... might seem small to some but if you are using the shorter head type lines with small diameter shooting/running lines that are so common in the spey world today it does not make sense to have larger heavier stripper guides IMO.

gunner45

Post by gunner45 »

Fantastic input and extremely helpful. I'll start with taping guides on sections to experiment with spacing (lawn casting as everything here is covered with ice)

Return to “Taper Exchange”