Ode to George

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ode to George

Post by Canewrap »

My own recently acquired 3" St. George that was sold for parts. I resurrected it by having Bulldog tune the spring and replace the pawls and now I have a LHW St. George that balances short cane perfectly. Was a steal on the big auction site because the agate line guide was missing.

AL7

Post by AL7 »

3x St. George 1917 Large Arbors.
These are my favorite (100 years+ old) trout sized Hardy reels. "Perfect" fishing instruments.
So many innovative features, brilliant med/large Arbor, light, balanced and stylish...

Last edited by AL7 on 10/11/19 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

AL7

Post by AL7 »

Quite an interesting reel (1920-1925) - St. George - 3 3/8 - Silent Check - Large arbor - Lefty

Last edited by AL7 on 10/11/19 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

AL7

Post by AL7 »

3 3/8 St. George mid/large arbor with unusual spool perforation.
Does anyone know any specific details about this particular version? It is the first one I have ever seen/owned.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

[quote="AL7"]3 3/8 St. George mid/large arbor with unusual spool perforation.
Does anyone know any specific details about this particular version? It is the first one I have ever seen/owned.

Wow, very nice looking reel with lots of finish. I suspect that the buyer asked Hardy to drill out the spool on this reel to match his or her 3", which typically has the double rows (although I own a 3" with a single row - see above in this thread). Congrats on a nice find and likely a very rare reel.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

The two row 3 3/8 is somewhat unusual, but I wouldn't say rare or significantly extra valuable. Maybe another $100-200 for someone who had a particular interest.

That LHW silent check on the other hand--I hope you got a pretty penny for that one. BTW, here's the little brother:

viewtopic.php?p=804476#p804476

Would make quite the pair.

All of the reels you posted are excellent examples of this incredible series from Hardy. Congrats.

AL7

Post by AL7 »

Thank you for the comment cdmoore. "The Silent Lefty" is staying with me for now.
cdmoore wrote: That LHW silent check on the other hand--I hope you got a pretty penny for that one.

Jaredkguess

Post by Jaredkguess »

I’d love some help dating this old St. George. I haven’t seen another with these markings on it and only know the Chicago shop through basic internet searching and old catalogs.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Congratulations on acquiring a very nice reel. Your reel has a smooth foot and a MK II check which dates it between 1923 and 1927.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

palexius
Sport

Post by palexius »

I couldn't pass it up. This one will fish.

1st gen

2 crack in the agate, scratches, and a frame repair. Other than that, she is very solid and smooth. I can't wait to get her fishing.

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Very nice reel. Congrats!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Wonderful, palexius!

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Fabulous reel. Enjoy all the ogling from the CNC crowd!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Even with the "issues", that reel checks all the boxes!
Fish her in good health!

tbov112

Post by tbov112 »

Just uncovered these that belonged to my grandfather. 3 3/8.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Ted,
Very nice St. George reels. One tags reads, if I am correct, that it is for the Peak rod. Does the other tag read that it is for a Garrison rod?
Thanks, Charlie

tbov112

Post by tbov112 »

cwfly wrote:
09/23/20 14:28
Ted,
Very nice St. George reels. One tags reads, if I am correct, that it is for the Peak rod. Does the other tag read that it is for a Garrison rod?
Thanks, Charlie
Yes, that's correct. Tags indicate one reel was set up for the the Russ Peak Zenith (8', 4 1/8oz). The other for Garrison 7 1/2 or 8. Unfortunately I do not have the Garrison(s). One of of the other rods in my possession (Phillipson "Bob Carmichael") is in a E.F. Payne bag. I have no doubt my grandfather had a number of other rods (at least a Garrison and Payne) but have no idea of there whereabouts or if they still exist. Many mysteries remain and new ones are uncovered as I learn more.

Slat

Post by Slat »

I'm new to the forum, and recently purchased an older st george. I've read a lot of past comments and ask if you may help me with the age. It has the ribbed foot so I know it's after 1927. Maker's mark on case and spool is a " D" and similar to a member past post that was indicated probably Denys Ward since he was dating his reel about 1930. The badge is Iver Johnson, a Worcester MA gun manufacturer at that time. The reel as I was told by the gentleman selling, was given to his grandfather by a Maine guide that had been owned by a client. Probably always been in New England and seems like it's seen a few fish in it's time. I think it should still see a few more in it's future, but we both are getting up in age.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated since I was not a collector until this week.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

You nailed the info - now take it fishing.
Great reel and what a great first post!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Recidivist13
Guide

Post by Recidivist13 »

The ugly duckling uncovered, posted in an ID thread previously but belongs here now. 3 3/8” 2 screw latch ribbed brass foot with metal line guide. Before I got it someone decided gold paint was a good idea.

Return to “Classic Reels”