Andre Puyans AP nymphs & classic patterns

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

I'd like to begin tying some of the Andre Puyans patterns but I can't seem to find any real information that describes the patterns?
Does anyone have any ideas on how the AP nymph series of patterns should be tied?
Thanks,

Tim
Cedar Run Rods, rod-building & restoration.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

"Fishing is such great fun, I have often felt, that it really ought to be done in bed." - John Voelker

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Thanks, Bob. I'd done a search but must have used different wording, does anyone here have any feedback or experience with these patterns? I am most interested in the AP Peacock & Pheasant, will get started tying it first. When thinking about "Classic" nymphs what other tyers/patterns come to mind? I think of John Atherton, Al Troth & Sawyer.....who else should be considered?

Tim

PA Limestoner
Master Guide

Post by PA Limestoner »

Try contacting Bud Frasca at Northwest Classic Tackle, I believe in Idaho. He is a great guy to talk to, and was a personal friend of the late Mr. Puyans. If any one can give expert opinions on these flies, it is Bud.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

I second the opinion about calling Bud. Also, I believe that FFM and Angler magazines both published articles with photos, back in the 1970's.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Terry Hellekson's Popular Fly Patterns from 1977 has patterns and tying instructions for the AP Series of Nymphs, including sketches that make clear the tying details....

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

The AP series of nymphs was more a style and a use of techniques than just specific patterns. The precise materials and color were not the significance of those flies. The style and techiques can be used to tie imitations of most mayfly and stonefly nymphs by just changing the color of the body materials and the material used for the tail/wingcase/legs (usually all the same). Andy used the fly to demonstrate, among other things, a technique of dubbing, ribbing between the segments of dubbing and using the same section of tail material for the wingcase and legs. He was one of the country's finest fly tiers of his time and also one of its greatest teachers, who taught many of today's finest tiers and anglers. His flies were meticulously tied, and he could tell you what every single turn of thread was intended to do.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

16 pmd, yes - I agree about the techniques and the obviously high level of skill involved in tying these patterns. These patterns also call for materials such as moose & beaver that aren't often used. So, I am looking forward to learning more about how these flies were tied and the materials used by Andre.

Tim

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Tim,

In the late 1980's the A.P. series of nymphs where one of the "Standard " patterns we carried in a fly shop I was working at. The best seemed to be the Pheasent tail version(peacock and PT) and a dark brown one tied with buffalo for the dubbing and moose for the wingcase and tail and legs.

Jeff

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Jeff, the peacock pheasant tail is the pattern I'd like to start with. I have the book above ordered and should get it soon, can anyone suggest a good online source for some of the materials like beaver dubbing, moose & buffalo? My fly shop here in Kansas City, doesn't carry a lot of this? Any ideas on a reliable online supplier?

Tim

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Beaver dubbing and moose are very common and easy to get. Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone dyes and mixes their own beaver dubbing and, of course has moose body hair. Both are available at a lot of other places as well. Buffalo fur, as far as I know, isn't sold. If you go to Yellowstone Park, it's available for the taking on the pine trees where the buffalo hang out. Otherwise, you can use any darkish medium brown, fairly coarse dubbing because, for that fly and for fishing purposes, having exactly the same material definitely does not matter.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Andy did an excellent series of tying instructional articles for the old Angler magazine, in Oakland, Ca. in the 1970's. His column was called "Fit to be Tyed" and featured instruction and good photos. Back issues of this magazine should be available from some of the major angling book dealers. Andy had fabulous knowledge of the history of various patterns and their origins. His attention to detail and ability to cull materials in order to select exactly the best hackle, etc. was the best. Unfortunately, speed was not a Puyans attribute, and he would have starved to death if he would have ever had to tie flies for grocery money. I recall one night in Last Chance when he took about 3 hours to tie two black ants - but they were perfect. Jim Adams in Berkeley may still have a few of Andy's flies for sale.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

If you want to use the real thing try the Matoska Trading Company. They have buffalo hide trimmings for $16.00 a pound

and here is the link;

http://www.matoska.com/cgibin/gencat.cg ... =87%2CNULL

Jeff

JeffK
Master Guide

Post by JeffK »

Thanks for the info. This aren't all that common out East, but look like great generic nymphs. Will tie a few up this winter.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

I just received Dave Hughes latest book on tying nymphs, it includes several AP Nymph patterns. I have to say this has to be the most complete book on fishing and tying nymphs that I've read. Here's the pattern for the A.P. Peacock and Pheasant:
Mustad 9671
Black thread
Tail, wingcase and legs - Ringneck pheasant center tail fibers. Select so that dark center portion covers wingcase.
Ribbing - copper wire
Body and thorax - Bronze peacock herl.
Head - use tying thread.

Tim
Last edited by oldschoolcane on 11/10/09 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Andre Puyans AP nymphs & classic patterns

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I will be dropping an AP behind every dry today - and needing some extra reference material for help.

We really do not have bugs that match - but the trout just need to eat.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

My Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear is tied in the AP style. It is a very effective fly.

Here it is in black. The source of the dubbing is my dog, Lois.

Last edited by PYochim on 01/04/22 23:26, edited 2 times in total.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

You might try giving Howard Cole at JDHC (formerly Jack Dennis and Hi-Country Flies) in Jackson, Wy.

Howard use to teach with AP both in California and at clinics in the Rocky mtn region (Island Park for example).

I’m betting he’d be a wealth of information. He and Jim Jones owned Hi-Country flies back in the day.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I think they're nice, easy to tie mayfly nymphs. When posters mentioned pheasant tail and peacock--that's a pheasant tail nymph, Al Troth style, right?

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

deleted
Last edited by Norm Frechette on 01/07/22 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”