Occupation & Location?

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Re: Occupation & Location?

Post by owenscaddis »

I do not think I have previously posted on this thread. I am a research scientist working for a biotech company located in Carlsbad, CA- in northern San Diego County. I have lived in Carlsbad and worked for the same company for 32 years. I was fortunate to be able to buy a second home south of Bozeman, MT a couple of years ago before prices sky rocketed. As I no longer do work in the lab, I was able to spend quite a bit of time in Montana during Covid- mostly on zoom calls. I am beginning to think of retiring, but still finding interesting projects to work on.

Frank

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

I’m a Professor of Biology at a southern R1 university. My research focus is primarily on fishes.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Hi OC,
Didn't we meet at the Bozeman Bamboo Event this year? Anyway, I say retire. Life's short. :)
Mark

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

Hi Mark

Yes we met at the Bozeman bamboo event. I was the person trying to put a GPS transponder on your car to find some of your secret creeks:)

Best

Frank

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

owenscaddis wrote:
11/02/21 00:24
Hi Mark

Yes we met at the Bozeman bamboo event. I was the person trying to put a GPS transponder on your car to find some of your secret creeks:)

Best

Frank
I thought so. No worries, I had the car scanned when I left. :)

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

teter wrote:
12/21/04 20:13
I'm a newspaper editor with a wife and four kids and four grandkids; I grew up on the Great Plains but have lived in New York for 15 years. I have been fishing for more than 45 years, bassing and catfishing, fishing fairly fanatically for the last 25.
I inherited my first bamboo rod 30 years ago and didn't quite know what to do with it. I tried it, as well as a fiberglass rod given to me 20 years ago, using both of them off and on while focusing on other types of freshwater fishing, mostly for bass and other panfish, but didn't get really serious about fly fishing until about 5 years ago. I fly fish mostly for trout in the excellent waters within 3 hours of New York, usually in New York and New Jersey, but have also fished in the Rockies, the Plains, New England, the Adirondacks and even Ireland.
I have a modest collection of modern and vintage rods and reels, running the gamut in price, and enjoy experimenting with different pairings of rods and reels, especially vintage bamboo rods and old reels. I would classify myself as obsessed - but still learning.
This is a terrific forum, and I apologize for going on and on.
Nice to see this thread pop up again. First, prayers for the many members who have passed away since I posted this 17 years ago. Second, I can't believe so many years have gone by --this board has been a daily stop for me for so long that it is hard to remember when I was a "newbie" myself. I have learned much and, I hope, made some small contribution to the community. Here's to many more years!

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Lon, I join you in prayer.

I'm somewhat surprised I never contributed to this topic. To redress the negligence, I'll inflict some photos on all of you.

I like to think my real occupation is being father and husband:

Unfortunately, to support above family I need to "work". Here's where I do it, as an I.T. Administrator:

Technically, where I work is not the same country as where I live:

Every so often, I get to harass fish not too far from where I live:

Kenneth

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

I can’t remember if I ever posted to this thread; it’s been going on for almost 17 years! I’ve been fly fishing just a few years longer than the thread. I am a retired school teacher living in the northeast kingdom of Vermont. There is snow falling as I type, and yesterday was our first snowfall of the year. We have a son and a daughter and 5 grandkids. We live on a dirt road and the most consistent traffic by our house is the Dairy Farmers of America milk truck. Lon, thank you for the prayers for those who have gone before us. Blessings to you all, and Happy Fishing!
Fefferfly

GregT

Post by GregT »

Hi,
Saw this topic pop up the other day. I realized I had not mentioned what my occupation was when I joined recently. I’m a university librarian living in the Bangor, Maine area. Previously I lived in far northern Maine for a number of years.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Not sure if i ever posted to this but i am a 45 year old Data Center Manager in NJ. I manage a portfolio of internet edge data centers for a real estate developer. Father of a 8 year old and 5 year old boy. More money to buy then time to fish but hopefully that changes now that both boys are in school full time.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I'm not sure I've ever contributed to this thread but it's an old one so... I run and keep together all the mechanical systems from soup to nuts at a small girls boarding school in the Berkshires. Wonderful place to work, live and fish. Couldn't be happier.

DatsunDoc
Sport

Post by DatsunDoc »

I'm a Professor of Marine Science with a focus on environmental chemistry and toxicology.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm a jazz drummer and journalist. I retired from newspapering a few years back to become a caregiver for my wife, who was disabled by meningitis. I lead a band called "No Room For Squares." I'm on my 30th year of slinging the long rod, and I often feel like it has saved my life. I'm proudly hoi-polloi but own two fine rods by Robert Bolt, and a lovely Granger Special restored by Mike Sinclair.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Long time lurker going back to the early years of Clark's. I live north of the Twin Cities, so I have a jump start heading up to the North Shore and northern WI trout streams . As far as career, I've been a project estimator for an institutional casework/millwork manufacturing company since 1986.

David 82

Post by David 82 »

Im retired from the military 82ndAbn div , grew up in the catskills, been fishing for long time , i remember as a kid running all over the roscoe area fishing and walking the woods as a 16 yr old and fished wherever i wanted , yes i trespassed lol , the private club waters , the campgrounds that closed at summers end all over lol....back then you rarely seen anyone .
Currently reside in northern Dutchess county built a home secluded in woods , nowadays i drive up to esopus ,but i seem to tie more now then get in the water.....
David

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

I am in my late 40s, living in Minneapolis with my wife of 18 years, a 15 year old son and a soon to be 13 year old daughter. I have been working in the financial services industry since the late 90s. Right out of college I spent my entire first paycheck on a St. Croix graphite rod, a Pflueger reel, and some rubber waders that started leaking after a couple outings. It took me over a year and a half to catch my first trout, I don't sweat getting skunked on any outings since. I am lucky to fish MN and WI, Alberta Canada where my wife's family lives, and Northern Spain, where I am from and all my family lives. I also do a fishing trip every year out West with my best friend, who introduced me to fly fishing and who let me crash on his couch for a few months until I got that first check. He even drove me to the fly shop!

Yes, pretty freaking lucky if you ask me.

Tight Lines

Alex

fireman10
Sport

Post by fireman10 »

I've been a Paramedic/Firefighter for 31 years in Central Washington. Loved my occupation but looking forward to retirement in a few years. Been tying flies for 40 years and tie almost nightly. Found bamboo rod making several years ago and spend every spare minute either fishing or making bamboo rods now. This site and its gracious members has proved invaluable to me.

Flyfishercat

Post by Flyfishercat »

First of all, I am not a gentleman, and my mother and grandmother will tell you I’m not quite a lady, but a woman who is a little rough around the edges. Lol

I live in Los Angeles and spend my summers in Idaho and Wyoming visiting family.i have been doing fishing for one year, and the last 3 years fly fishing. The bamboo rod building has taken over my life! My work office and workshop are literally 10 paces from each other, so during my work breaks, I am working on a rod. I am only 3 months into the rod building addiction!

I have been an ASL Interpreter for the Deaf and I teach American Sign Language for 30 years. I am currently teaching and Intepreting mostly virtually.
I also work as an equine appraiser and had brief stints as a gardening columnist, and marriage and family intern.
I also own a book imprint business left to me from a family member. I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up, so the interpreting and teaching pay the bills for everything else ;-)

I appreciate the warm welcome I have received from the rod builders I have had the pleasure of meeting virtually and by phone so far. Everyone has been so helpful!
I’m looking forward to meeting many more of you in the future.
I have only split, beveled and planed 4 rods so far. Will be working with JW, my mentor on learning the rest of the building process.
I am having an absolute blast, and can’t wait to get more equipment that comes after the initial process such as rod wrappers and drying, etc.

Happy New Year!!

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

A very sophisticated bunch … most over 40, male (with a few exceptions), college educated, successful, intelligent, and obviously outdoors oriented.
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Currently I’m a full time rodmaker however when I had a paying job I was a Systems Engineer for Lockheed Martin (I hired in in the Martin Marietta side). Spent 25 years working on the Titan program and my final years working for Targets, was offered my job in Huntsville in 2012 but decided to get laid off rather than move (who in their right mind would move from Colorado to Huntsville at the age of 58?). I’ve fly fished since I was 6 or 7 using a Shakespeare Wonderod until I was introduced to bamboo around 1980. Read Wayne Cattanach’s book around 2008 and decided that would be a fun hobby to pick up when I retired, did not know it would become an obsession. Started making rods around 2010 or 11. I live in Colorado on what is known as the Palmer Divide, it’s a high plateau north of Colorado Springs along the El Paso and Douglas county line.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Return to “Members Corner”