Occupation & Location?

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Dustnstuff
Guide

Re: Occupation & Location?

Post by Dustnstuff »

For the past 45 years my lovely wife Patti and I have run a financial stationery supplies business out of our home.
Custom print for banks and insurance companies.Currently located on Cape Cod in Ma.
Salt water fly fishing with a Ted Simroe 9 weight rod is great. Our home has salt water views from every room. 150 feet to the salt water for Stripers and Blues. There's even a large number of fresh water ponds and rivers to keep me happy. In the spring, before the beaches fill up, you can walk for miles
casting white streamers and hoping for the big one.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Dustnstuff,

Your location sounds just perfect!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Just saw this. I'm retired but still doing a little bit of consulting from my former work life which was materials and technology for digital printing. Got interested in bamboo maybe 8 or 9 years ago and have been building and doing repairs for about 5 years now. Probably coming up on 30 rods made and maybe a dozen or more repairs and rebuilds. I've sent my whole adult life in Western Oregon, but a lot of my fishing is on the east side, and the Deschutes and it's tributaries is the center of that. I was a one time a pretty serious bowhunter but that has tapered off due to age and other interests but along the way I built maybe 10 recurves and have hunted with a couple of them. In addition to trout, I am doing some mule deer and bird hunting in the fall and chasing steelhead in the winter and spring. I have yet to hook a steelhead on a bamboo rod, but that's on the list, if the runs don't completely peter out. That's about it for me. I love the forum here and it has been a wealth of information.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

Dustnstuff wrote:
01/08/22 14:38
For the past 45 years my lovely wife Patti and I have run a financial stationery supplies business out of our home.
Custom print for banks and insurance companies.Currently located on Cape Cod in Ma.
Salt water fly fishing with a Ted Simroe 9 weight rod is great. Our home has salt water views from every room. 150 feet to the salt water for Stripers and Blues. There's even a large number of fresh water ponds and rivers to keep me happy. In the spring, before the beaches fill up, you can walk for miles
casting white streamers and hoping for the big one.
I practically grew up on the cape. In the 60’s and 70’s I spent most summers staying with my grandparents in Eastham. They had a small uninsulated cottage — I slept on a cot in the corner of the living room next to the Franklin wood stove. Great memories of fishing, sailing, and walking the beach. Things sure aren’t the same there now….

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

I own a small family run investment advisory business in Framingham, MA. This is my 42nd year in business. We don’t make things, we just make money for our clients — that’s why I like making bamboo fly rods. I get to see a tangible item as a result of my labor. Since my daughters now run the business I have time to enjoy hunting, fishing, and making fly rods. I enjoy bird hunting with my lab and one of my classic side by side shot guns and fly fishing with one of my bamboo fly rods. My father spoiled me when it comes to fly fishing. He taught how to fly cast on an Atlantic salmon river and I had caught a good number of 10 - 15 lb salmon before I ever fished specifically for trout. I do enjoy trout fishing but nothing quite compares to hooking a big Atlantic salmon on a dry fly and a light rod—it’s an experience that you can’t ever forget.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

Great to learn more about all the forum members!

My better half and I are now both retired from our careers in the Financial sector. We were lucky enough to do so in our early 50s and now spend our time enjoying our 3 Grandchildren and exploring the world. Most recently we've been spending a few months in Portugal in the winter months. It certainly beats a Winnipeg winter, but I wish there were more fly fishing options.

Our son moved out to British Columbia this Fall and I think it's likely we'll end up there in a few years.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

my occupation has been my rodmaking business for 16 yrs. Before that rodmaking was a hobby i pursued while working as a home improvement contractor in 5 western states. Perfect for evening flyfishing before retiring to the motel. my fishing when in my homestate was on eastern oregon reservoirs and streams , such as mann and warm springs res. and owyhee and donner and blitzen stream. recent weight loss has rekindled my wonderlust . w/ SS kicking in , i will use it this summer to go explore new adventures

Gass_mr2

Post by Gass_mr2 »

hello,
I introduce myself.
I have been a great fly fan for 26 years.
I reside in Spain.
I am fortunate to be able to fly fish for large trout, carp, pike, blackbass, perch, catfish and the all-powerful barbel!!
I have assembled graphite rods and two bamboo rods with Japanese blanks....
I love the action of these rods...it's a totally different feeling than cold and fast graphite.
I hope to learn much more from these rods.
Greetings to all.

SteveVio

Post by SteveVio »

I have been in the Paper Industry for more than 30 years - grew up in Maine, lived in OR, VA, IL and now Jacksonville FL. Granddad taught me to fly fish when I was 10, and have been in love with it since. Always tie, have build graphite riots, load ammo, shoot birds, play golf, and just completed my first Bamboo rod (7'9" 6wt). will start on building more.

SteveVio
in JAX florida
SteveV
Jacksonville, FL
stevenjviolette@gmail.com

herkileez
Sport

Post by herkileez »

Retired after career as engineer...Now devote my time between fishing, pickleball, building my staffs and being a grampa...best job I never had.
Located in Campbell River, on Vancouver Island, BC.
Last edited by herkileez on 04/16/22 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

+1 for your River Sticks!

Forced retirement after 26+ years in plant biotechnology in Des Moines, IA. NJ born, PA, NY, MI, and Iowa. Now working on some modest inventions unrelated to science... a canoe sailing kit among them.
Best friends with my Edward Jones guy! ... :rollin

pgbuilt2
Sport

Post by pgbuilt2 »

Greetings from just outside Boston , MA. Finally made it to this forum , and as the saying at Boston Sand & Gravel states , This forum may be the First and the Finest !!! Already amazed at the talent and knowledge of this forums members , having a blast right out of the gate , it’s a great escape from my job on the Railroad here in MA. Thank You All in Advance …. Best > Paulie G

RSW
Sport

Post by RSW »

My home is on the Front Range in Colorado. World famous trout waters from 20 minutes to and hour and a half from my front door. I am a construction executive who is involved with building amazing projects across the country. Currently building a factory in Asheville NC. 2000 miles of trout water from 10 minutes to two hours from my apartment there. Have ended up with fly fishing gear at home and more gear that I take with me. Bad addiction for feeling the tug after tricking them with string, fur, and feathers.
Randy

Mead, CO.

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

Retired but still do PRN(as needed) at 2 nursing homes as physical therapist assistant. PTA for last 16 years and before that systems programmer/analyst at major companies for 20 years in Pittsburgh. Changed careers to make less money and work more hours(not smartest move but so tired of sitting all day everyday). Although I wished I'd never changed because of income and time off and will say rewards of working with people for rehab to get home or next level of care is nice. Just hurt my ability to enjoy fly fishing and bamboo rods a little.

Becksandbrowntrout

Post by Becksandbrowntrout »

I own and run a small consultancy in the UK providing Estimating and Cost planning to Contractors and Consultants in the Rail and civil engineering sectors my Eldest Son works for me full time and as I get older he will be working harder and me less so. I live in Scarborough within 20 miles of three or four beautiful streams , and within a mile of one of them. I have an office that overlooks the beach . I would say life is good. Been married for 37 years to a very patient fishing widow .I have two other grown up kids the other son has recently returned from south Korea where he taught English for a year and is now teaching here , My Daughter is about to go back to University to do a masters degree at a medical college. Sorry I rambled on a bit..

Andy

oldatheart
Guide

Post by oldatheart »

Stumbled upon this thread, so why not! I'm 34 years old and I live in a small town called Aubrey, Texas, which is just north of DFW by about an hour. We live on a 40-acre hay farm, but my full-time job is as a writer, mainly in advertising, but also in the editorial space, and I also do some freelance photography. I regularly contribute to The Fly Fish Journal (story coming out this month!) and I'm a contributing editor for MeatEater, which is a hunting/fishing/conservation company based in Bozeman, Montana. Most importantly, I have a wife (married for 6 years), 5yr old daughter, 3yr old son, and 1yr old son. Yep, we've been busy.

I learned to build fly rods from Malcolm Duke before he passed, and have been building for about 8-9 years now.

liketofish
Guide

Post by liketofish »

I own a small bicycle company.

liketofish
Guide

Post by liketofish »

I have something to do with bicycles/designing. Kind of, the bamboo of bicycles (CrMo). My business eschews all bicycle trends, and is more than minorly influenced by a lifetime of bamboo, click-reels, and trad fly fishing (as opposed to what's sweeping thru now). I live and work in the SF Bay Area.

jvanbruggen

Post by jvanbruggen »

I live in the front range of Colorado and work in Local Government. Specifically, the parks department.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

flyfishalso
Sport

Post by flyfishalso »

Retired to western Montana after
living in NM, CO, TN, MT, UT, MT< WA and now Western MT. The Clark
Fork River provides a lot of great fishing

Return to “Members Corner”