Occupation & Location?

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Mrhawes

Re: Occupation & Location?

Post by Mrhawes »

I am from St.Albans ,WV . I am a freelance outdoorwriter/photogrpher.

ryokan

Post by ryokan »

hello all,new screen name,old one was penobscot but was not able to log in.i am a 66 years old retired boat carpenter living near the coast of maine. fish mostly for landlocks and brook trout.started out with bamboo and have never had anything else.i have a fondness for thomas rods but have and use others.one of my favorites is a rod my brother built for me .well must go now as one finger typing is slow,and i don't want to over use the spell check. bruce

DT4F
Guide

Post by DT4F »

Happy New year, and howdy.
I am a retired physician, having practiced for forty years here
In Colorado on the Big Thompson river.
I now plane bamboo rods, having fly fished since 1951, and using bamboo for the past 6 or 7 years.
Ron

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Hello for Dirty Jersey to all out there in cyber bamboo land. Been visiting the site for a long while, I tried to sign up but my ID and password just wouldn't work with the old host. Go figure that it does now. Been fly fishing for 30 years, got into bamboo about 5 years ago. I like to swing wets and run streamers mostly. I'm an accounting controller by trade so anything super detailed and technical is too much like work. Give me mountain brookies over fussy tailwaters.

See you all at Somerset...

D

Paulja

Post by Paulja »

As I stated in post #288 of this topic under the name of (pjaln)I'm a contractor north of Boston ,Wakefield ,I posted then in 2005 after discovering bamboo is still being used by many and not obsolete as I was new to fly fishing. And that was my only post !!,Have lurked off and on thru the last 12years and. Not able to retrieve my old email I have a new user name ,so here I am . about 18 bamboo rods later...and now 58yrs old with 2 daughters in college (ouch) ,,I could say ive met some of the nicest people in the fly fishing only section of this world !!

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

I'm owner operator of a Maine sporting camp. I'm located on a 160 acre spring fed native brook trout pond in the western mountains, 2000 ft above sea level. No electricity, no cell phone coverage. I consider those facts positive aspects of my location. Technology to me is keeping my 20 year old camp generator running. Been collecting antique tackle since before Lang's was a household name.

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Official title; Director of Land Surveying for a civil engineering firm in the DC metro area. I'm a licensed land surveyor in MD and DC.
I currently make the hellish commute to our DC office three day week and enjoy very much escaping back over the Mason Dixon line to my home near Gettysburg, PA

Matt
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

sgoodroe
Sport

Post by sgoodroe »

I live in North central Vermont, with in walking distance of the Canadian border. I work as an auto mechanic in one of those small town garages that works on everything from cars to heavy equipment. When I'm not doing that I write books on fly tying and fly fishing. I used to hold weekly casting clinics and fly tying classes, but really don't have time for that any more. Combination of 114 mile per day commute to work, and adopting 4 kids (that fly fish!).

Anglers Cane
Guide

Post by Anglers Cane »

I've worked at the Pittsburgh, Pa. H.J.Heinz Co. turned Del Monte turned Bay Valley foods turned Riverbend Foods as a Sterilization Technician for the past 40+ years, making sure all soup and baby food products are shelf stable in all supermarkets for your safe consumption. I've been restoring/refurbing bamboo for the past 25 years. Used to dance for a Slovak Folk Ensemble in Pittsburgh for 33 years, traveling to Slovakia in '85 and '09. Took my fly gear the 2nd time and caught trout with the same dry flies we use here! I've volunteered for Project Healing Waters for the past 6 1/2 years, doing most of the resto work on the donated bamboo fly rods to be given away to the wounded veterans. Will have to invite Rolf to fish Penns Creek with me.

I also talk too much......

Joe

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

It's great to see this old topic revived. Welcome to all of you, and please jump right in if you haven't already. Since I first posted in this thread, I have retired, and even my grandchildren are now grown up.

Lon Teter

raven4ns
Guide

Post by raven4ns »

I live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and am retired. My work background started as a pilot and flying instructor then I became an air-traffic controller. After resigning from ATC I became a stockbroker and retired from that position.
Unfortunately, I am forced to fish trout on small streams to fill in my time. It's difficult but some are called for greater things while others, such as myself, are left to deal with these kinds of hardships....lol.
Regards,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down....but how many times he gets back up

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

i live in vienna/austria and work as a creative director/copywriter.
i also have an online shop selling fishing tackle.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I am in the process of quitting my job at the end of 2018. Ihave been an anesthesiologist for the last 30 years. I don't like the term, "retire" for my own personal reasons. I am still working in the Twin Cities and spending the rest of my time at my newly adopted hometown of Sheridan, Wyoming.

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

It would be really hard to say my occupation since I had so many..14 years military (4 yrs USMC (RVN); 8yrs USN Seabees; 2 yrs reserve) Worked out of the home since I was 14 y/o..BS in Bus Admin; MBA, too many post grad hours to count...ended up working for the DOD as a Contracting Officer (Construction)..traveled extensively and had a prayer answered when I was able to buy my parents old home place and returned to my roots in Louisiana..Not much trout fishing here so we catch a lot of bass and panfish..Make annual pilgrimages to the GSMNP, Lil Missouri River, Broken Bow, Ok and occasionally to other places farther afield..Came to fly fishing in my late 50s and to bamboo a couple of years later..I now own way too many grass rods but I love them all..even the project rods..I love the vintage rods just because..I will have one restored or refinished to my particular taste and really don't care about the nay sayers opinions on that. My favorite rods are a HL Leonard DF501/2 circa 1926, a 3/4 wt #41 Edwards Quad (both restored by Chris Bogart), a Heddon 125 1 1/2F 5wt, SB 290 7', Cross 1500 7', several SB 359s rebuilt by Ed Beck. I started out with a nice graphite rod but when I cast my first bamboo rod I never looked back..I bought my wife a real nice 7' PHY Driggs River Taper by Lublgrud which she loves...Some day I hope to make the Bamboo Bash in Townsend but again in 2018 timing is off..Until then, hope the best to you all and may there always be enough water for us all to fish!!

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I live in Venice Beach, California and I've been installing high end wallpaper for the well heeled in the good part of town for 34 years. I work for a small stable of interior designers whose clientele includes celebrities and the like and I get to travel far and wide installing paper in their homes.

My screen name is a nod to a magical place where I was inspired to take up fly fishing. While on a family vacation I was bait fishing in a stream where the water was clear and the trout were plentiful, yet I watched helplessly as my power bait floated over the trout with not so much as a hint of interest. Somehow a thought came to me that if I was fly fishing I could catch those trout, so for a year I purchased gear, books and videos and taught myself how to fish. And Doug Swisher, Rick Hafle and Gary LaFontaine helped too with their videos. Almost exactly a year later I went to that same spot and hooked a trout on my first cast with a fly rod, and the rest is history.

Hankinsfly
Guide

Post by Hankinsfly »

Hey all. Oklahoma here. I'm a supervisor in Child Protective Services. Put my time in the field. Every field as its stressors, but CPS has a quite a few. It's worth it though- some children have no help. We work alongside law enforcement, medical professionals, and other professionals to ensure child safety. Lots of 12-18 hour days. Whoa, this is turning into a resume. Anyway, I have fly-fished since I was about 13 or 14 and started tying somewhere around that time. My favorites to tie and fish are spiders/wets. Fly-fishing has way of resetting me. I used to fish a lot alone, now inviting others to share the greatness of fly-fishing with me.

bajema

Post by bajema »

Mechanical engineer in Lynden, WA.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Greetings and Happy New Year, Thomas. My sister has lived in Vienna since 1991 and is married to an Austrian man. I spent a day fishing the Traun the last time I visited the country.

Lon

thomast wrote:i live in vienna/austria and work as a creative director/copywriter.
i also have an online shop selling fishing tackle.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Might as well jump in here on this thread. I'm the Director of HR for a large retail organization with stores in 50 states and Puerto Rico. I currently live in Dallas, TX but have lived in multiple states across the western US including WA, OR, CO, UT, CA, AZ, and even did a stint in Kansas. I have built rods on the side as a labor of love since 2000 and collect fly reels, a habit which has gotten a little bit out of hand as there are well over 100 scattered throughout the house. I'm afraid if I count them all and my wife realizes exactly what's out there, that may be the end of my "acquisition period".

Hope 2018 is a stellar year for everyone on the stream!

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Uncle Miltie

Post by Uncle Miltie »

Hello, new guy here. I live in the Ft Lauderdale FL area, work in the pharmaceutical field. Just learning to fish bamboo rods, have two of them. I enjoy click pawl reels as well. Hope to learn a bit from the group. Thanks for letting me in!

Return to “Members Corner”