Occupation & Location?

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by Flyfishbill »

Time to update. My original post was in 12/04. Son number 1 is still in Boston and son number 2 graduated from Ohio State and moved to Tampa, FL to teach 8th math. Son number 3 graduated in September in International Studies, but still no job prospects (not a great time to be looking for a job). My daughter is now a sophomore at Ohio State. My children are 4th generation Buckeyes. I still work at Ohio State, but have moved to a project to replace our student systems. The project will be completed in June of 2009. 2008 was not a good year for fishing due to a broken foot and leg in May. Still recoverying but I hope to be able to hike and wade this Spring. I have finally admitted that I have too many rods, reels, fly fishing books, and other miscellaneous items related to fly fishing - My name is Bill and I am a collectaholic.

I have been fishing for over 45 years with the last 20 being fly fishing. I have fished bamboo for the last 10 years.

I can't wait to retire (5 years to go) and travel with my wife while fly fishing the USA.
Last edited by Flyfishbill on 01/20/09 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

COZ

Occupation & Location?

Post by COZ »

I am 39 years old and I live in central Connecticut. I am a project manager for an environmental construction company. I play poker and deal in antiques on the side. My poker/antique money buys my fly rods.

jvkos

Occupation & Location?

Post by jvkos »

I'm 39 and do R&D for a secondary manufacuring plant. (machine shop). Set-up and program CNC lathes, mills, etc. Do alot of automation stuff. Mostly invovled in process improvement (make it better faster and cheaper).
Live in north central PA about an hour or so south of Kettle Creek and an hour or so norhtwest of Spring Creek, so I am not complaining. Have a camp on the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning which I consider my home water. Been fishing as long as I can remember and fly fishing since age 10. The bamboo bug bit about 3 yrs ago. I read this BB almost every day but don't post much. You guys know WAY more than me.

Joe

john channer
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by john channer »

carpenter/bamboo rod maker in Durango,Co.
john

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by tedgolden »

I live in St. Louis Missouri. I have been employed as an Associate Professor of Economics, more recently in R&D engineering. I retired at 50, about ten years ago to devote more time to fishing. Presently I dabble in the import of English antiques but if the rate of exchange doesn't turn around soon that will be history.

I chose St. Louis to retire in as it had more or less equal access to all parts of the county. This was, of course, before the airline contraction. We are now more likely to get a non-stop hot air balloon trip to Peoria than a direct flight to a decent fishing location. I have wet a line in most (but by no means all) of the states that have a trout stream.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by canerodscom »

No one ever said it better than Norman Maclean, ?In our family there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing...? For me, that is certainly true. I am a minister and build and fish with bamboo rods in my free time. Handcrafting fine bamboo fly rods one at a time in my small garage workshop is more than a hobby, more than a labor of love, it is almost a spiritual experience.

I've been building rods for almost 14 years, and fishing them for 40. At 49+ years old, I hope to build my 200th bamboo rod in 2010.

I'm in northeast Louisiana, and spend considerable time fishing in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri.

Harry Boyd
www.canerods.com
Last edited by canerodscom on 03/27/08 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

mtn
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by mtn »

I use to work as a engineer in the nuclear power industry mostly contract work (temporary), never really liked jobs labeled "permanent". Worked a lot of long days and traveled alot of miles and decided one day I had enough (of work and hopefully money). I haven't completely decided that I'm retired yet but its been over 5 years since I worked. I'm 48 and live in Fulton Missouri. I spend most of my time fishing Ozark streams and when the weather starts to smart a little I like to work on my old rods.

Regards, Mike

paramount
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by paramount »

20+ years as a Respiratory Therapist, now working in a Sleep Center for Sleep disorders.
The Dalles, Oregon, 30 minutes from the Deschutes, and close to lot of other goood fishing.

Bruce

quaddruplehauler

Occupation & Location?

Post by quaddruplehauler »

Retired marketing v.p. for proctor & gamble, live in Augusta Ga. Play golf and fish mostly.

h.w

rugger

Occupation & Location?

Post by rugger »

L.E. and SAR ranger for the national park service in the summer, and I blow my summer savings by travelling to foriegn lands in the winter. I try to get to a new park every season, having already worked in Montana, Colorado, Mass., and Wyoming. Making the best of the Peter Pan lifestyle before I have to grow up and get a year round job. I'll be throwing in an app for Yellowstone when they post their openings next week-I couldn't think of a better place to break in my Kusse quad that should be done this spring. Before rangering I was a river guide on the upper Colorado and Arkansas River in Colorado.

Rick

castafly
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by castafly »

I'm 41, live in Carson City, Nevada (near Reno and Lake Tahoe) with my wife and three daughters, and work as an analyst for the State of Nevada Legislature. Been fishing bamboo rods for about 10 years. There's five great rivers and numerous lakes and small streams in the Eastern Sierra less than an hour from my house!

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by firehole »

I retired as the Wa. State Regional Director for Welfare Fraud in 1997 at the ripe old age of 52. I was able to apply my Vietnam ERA time toward my 30 years. Moved from Spokane to my Island Park log home on Memorial Day 1998. Currently, I sell real estate for Outback Realty on the Henry's Fork which is a stones throw away from the Fork. I rarely fish the Henry's Fork but opt for floating the Madison every chance I can get. I love the thrill of dodging rocks with my Clackacraft. I love the area especially YNP but I don't like winter so I spend time in New Zealand fishing for big browns.
Firehole

AJ Bamboo
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by AJ Bamboo »

One occcupation? seems kind of confining. Cane rodbuilder, past pro fly tyer, machinist, owner/mechanic of an auto repair shop, current A&P mechanic student( yep, one of those 'old' guys that the kids in the class are always complaining about !-- :) --> ) , general curmudgeon. Ten years from now? ??
A.J.

caimi

Occupation & Location?

Post by caimi »

I live with my wife and our horses and dogs on a small farm outside of Waterloo, Illinois. When I'm not shoveling manure I like to fly fish central Missouri trout streams or southern Illinois farm ponds. I work full time as a lawyer in Missouri and Illinois and make fly rods part time in my "dungeon" shop in Waterloo. If I had my druthers I'd be making bamboo rods full time in central Pennsylvania. That's the goal anyway. Either that or be a guitar god. But at 49 years old, the latter seems just beyond my reach.

Caimi

Past Member
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by Past Member »

Hello Steve,
AutoCadd tech eh? I'm a tool designer that absolutely loves Acad. My company in the Twin Cities has mandated Pro-E. Once you get used to it, it's great....I guess. But, I'm still getting used to it.

Recent to bamboo and am surprised (seriously) that I'm getting away from faster graphite rods.

I have 2 sons in college, a very responsible wife who manages to keep balance in a wonderful marriage. I'm 54 and I won't be able to retire till Vegas gets 2 feet of snow!

Thanks to Jaybird here, I'm in the middle of building my first bamboo rod and can understand the allure many of you feel.

And I'm a newby here. I don't know but a few other folks here personally but I'm sure that'll change soon.

Good post. And Happy Holidays.

Jeremy.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by nativebrownie »

Well, I am a school supervisor-teacher, coordinate the International Baccalaureate Program, here in the Washington D.C. Area... (yes, I now take the summers off - used to work - wiser with age) been fishing the "long rod" for some forty years now. Cut my teeth on a N. Maryland stream 40 years ago and I still frequent that old friend for wild brownies.I build all of my plastic rods, even a few for charitable events and friends, but I must import my cane favorites.Life is good here... married wonderfully and I am within striking distance of some good Eastern waters. I have retirement rights this year(no, not full benefits), so we will see. The forum is special... seems like we are just assembling all the time, some with cigar iin hand, and enjoying what we all enjoy most - in a courteous fashion-Thanks, Clark...

Past Member
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by Past Member »

I?m a former CFO who tuned in and dropped out and am now self-employed as a consultant doing strategic financial work for small companies. Formulate business plans, evaluate acquisitions, arrange financing? that sort of thing. First picked up a fly rod in 19(ulp!)62 and have never looked back. When I grow up, I?d like to conduct the Boston Symphony, be an astronaut, or become a full-time trout bum. I haven?t decided yet.

In my spare time I?m an environmental trouble-maker and past president of our TU chapter. Most days you can find me just west of Boston.

Cheers,
Bob

paulmpin
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by paulmpin »

33 years old.
10 of fly fishing.
3 of bamboo loving.
Working as IT Consultant for a Argentina branch of a big US IT Company. Currently serving our client a steel maker near Buenos Aires, where i live.
Lot of good water near home to fish tarariras, dorados and other fish. But my love is the trout fly fishing and the stream are 1000 miles away home.
To young for thinking about retirement, hoping to have some kids with my wife (wee married this year).

Regards

Paul

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by wefishcane »

I will be 65 in February, but I'm having too much fun with my work to retire yet. Most on my working life has been in vocational rehabilitation administration. We have five children and 14 grandchildren. All four of my boys are flyfishermen. I was raised in the state of Washington, saw a flyfisherman on the North Fork of the Skykomish at age 14 and thought "that's it!". Over the years my work has taken us to Chicago, Columbus Ohio, Stockton Cal., Idaho and now Utah. My favorite fishing areas are found in Western Wyoming and Southwestern Montana.
Jim

upthecreek
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by upthecreek »

I am a 69 year old retired advertising fruitcake now living in the eastern part of PA. Fish all the wonderful creeks and streams in this part of the state. I fish year 'round, all week long. Hardly ever on a weekend, though. Life is good. Cheers for a Happy New Year to you all. !-- :D -->

Return to “Members Corner”