Occupation & Location?

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

sprucegrouse

Occupation & Location?

Post by sprucegrouse »

Geographic Information Systems (GIS) analyst, which means I'm part cartographer, part data analyst, part habitat modeler. So send me your hotspots and I'll be happy to map them. !-- :lol -->
Oh, I work in Annapolis.

sg

varmint255
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by varmint255 »

I earn a paycheck from General Dynamics as an Electronics Field Engineer operating a helpdesk for a certain communications system used by the Navy.Live in Holly Hill,SC but work in Charleston,or wherever else my work may take me,which includes some pretty nice places every once in awhile.

caneseeker
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by caneseeker »

Corporate aviator in Dallas, TX (GIV & Challenger). Also U.S. Navy Retired Reserve. Planning on retiring in 4 years and moving to Oregon where my daughter, son-in-law and grandkids live. Cane addict since '94. Restoring, collecting, trading takes up way too much of my spare time. Fishing needs to play a bigger role. CANENUT is one of my local buddies and he thinks I know something about this hobby (boy, do I have him snowed).

Marc

pvansch1
Administrator

Occupation & Location?

Post by pvansch1 »

I live in Canton CT, within walking distance to the Farmington River. 39 years old. Three daughters (boy am I in trouble) Network Administrator for a public school district. Build bamboo rods as a hobby. Don't get to fish nearly enough.
Pete
Pete

cwood
Master Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by cwood »

Home is in the good ole' Southern Appalachians of NC. I am a Biology Instructor at App. State University since finishing my MS there last summer. Fishing guide to get me through school but it wasn't for me. Have been in the fisheries biology world about 10 years. Next step? Wife is pregnant with first kid so who knows, along as we stay near clean streams I can stay employed and fish.
CWood

singlemalt
Sport

Occupation & Location?

Post by singlemalt »

Ima Environmental Due Diligence Manager for a national multi-discipline consulting firm & a travel hockey coach located in the Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan area.

sm

flynsaddle

Occupation & Location?

Post by flynsaddle »

35 years old, I am a guide on the Bow River in the summer and a saddle maker in the the winter. Its works out great since I get to stay inside all winter and am on the river all fishin season. I have only been fishin bamboo for a couple of years but I can't get enough of it. I am starting to get some tools and plan on building some rods in the future.
I live in High River Alberta, have all my life except for a year in Wyoming, there is no where else on the planet I would rather be, there are to many good fish around southern Alberta that I have not met yet.
Steve Mason

oldsaltnfla

Occupation & Location?

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I am a teacher of mentally handicapped high school students at Mulberry High School in Mulberry, Florida; a former wrestling coach; a bird dog trainer, and president of the Suncoast Bird Dog Association.

Old Salt

nohackle
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by nohackle »

appgap,

Mind me asking which division you're in?

Bill
wcc54@execpc.com

Bunyan

Occupation & Location?

Post by Bunyan »

I'm a wildlife biologist for a federal agency. I do some cool stuff, but mostly tell people that call on the phone that their 70 pound lab is safe from the 12 pound fox in their yard! I work out of Annapolis, MD.

Past Member
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by Past Member »

My wife, daughter and I live in the Seattle area where I own a graphic design studio. Since Washington has the smallest land area of any state in the west and the second largest population (~6MM, behind only CA), it has the dubious distinction of having the highest density of flyfishers anywhere in the west. Being self-employed means I can fish mid-week and thus avoid the weekend crush. Less pressured fisheries in British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, or Oregon are less than a day's drive away.

Flyfishing here is a year 'round activity. This month's menu features the tail end of chum salmon and anadramous bull trout fishing in coastal streams, salt-water angling for sea-run cutts and resident coho in Puget Sound and its estuaries, and stalking big trout in the snow in desert spring creeks in the Columbia basin. Coming attractions include winter-run steelhead, more big trout in desert lakes, and backpacking in to high mountain lakes.

I've enjoyed this board thoroughly - thanks to all for sharing your experience, wit and wisdom.

CC

BTW, for those who've not experienced the rush of catching a chum salmon, here's a pic of a 20 pounder one of my partners took last weekend on the Stilliguamish. He saw the arbor knot on his 9wt in less than 30 seconds after hooking up.

caimi

Occupation & Location?

Post by caimi »

flynsaddle,

What kind of saddles do you make? Do you make an English close contact saddle? If so, email me some pics and more infor about your work. Thanks,

caimi@htc.net

Watersmeet

Occupation & Location?

Post by Watersmeet »

I am a University Professor at a major university in Arkansas. I run a research laboratory in molecular ecology and epidemiology and teach advanced courses in my specialty to MS and PhD level students.

I got into cane a shortwhile ago although I have been fishing for trout with glass and graphite for decades. My work and background may explain why I may have peppered a few of you with so many questions about bamboo fly rods. I plan on adding another cane rod very soon to those I do have and am having fun learning about bamboo rods and the people who make and use them.

W

Past Member
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by Past Member »

Wow, what a cool cross section of Americana!

flynsaddle - do you know Rick Bachman of "Old West Reproductions". He has made my gunleather for years. He makes period saddles gunleather and all sorts of cowboy accessories.

www.oldwestreproductions.com/Splash.asp

Do you make saddles only or other hardware?

Steve

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Occupation & Location?

Post by bulldog1935 »

metallurgist, corrosion engineer - consultant, primarily in land-based gas turbines, but also in petrochemical and fossil utilities.
Live in the edge of the TX hill country - Bulverde, work in San Antonio. In one direction, I'm 20 minutes from the southernmost trout fishery in the US (www.grtu.org) and in the other direction, smallies.

Travel a bit on business. Just finished paying my dues for many nice summer and fall trips to AK - just got back from Prudhoe Bay.

Ron Mc
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

Heddon17

Occupation & Location?

Post by Heddon17 »

I'm 41 and work as a fishery biologist for the U.S. Forest Service here in Northern California. I live in Yreka so I'm within easy day trip range of some pretty good rivers. Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit, Upper and Mid Klamath, etc.

I've been a 'cane addict since '99. I bought my first cane rod that summer, an GS-8642 Stream and Lake and haven't looked back since !-- :lol -->

Brian

sprucegrouse

Occupation & Location?

Post by sprucegrouse »

Bunyan,

Do you work over at the Admiral Cochrane Drive office?

sg

mikerod

Occupation & Location?

Post by mikerod »

I live in Reno, Nevada, and supervise the operation of the natural gas distribution system for the local utility here. I have been addicted to flyfishing for about 15 years and acquired a secondary addiction to bamboo about 2 years ago. We actually have some pretty good fishing within reasonable driving distance from Reno, especially if you take advantage of the Eastern Sierra through a pack and a good pair of boots. I noticed a post from Carson City, I grew up there and would appreciate an e-mail from anyone close to Reno to share "bamboo" with. Ecstasy loves company.

mikerod

Occupation & Location?

Post by mikerod »

Sorry, I guess I should include an e-mail address for the above post.
mrodriguez0761@netscape.net

Hardy Guy
Guide

Occupation & Location?

Post by Hardy Guy »

Good post lads, very interesting.
I am 35 and a happily married father of two. I am a commercial lobsterman from PEI, Canada. Presently I am working on an oil/gas drilling rig in Alberta. Salmon Guide, part-time pro tyer, refinisher, but haven't yet built my own cane rod.
Fishing for 30 years, fly for 25 and chasing salmon for over twenty,,,the last five with cane. Retirement? Doubtful, but i have averaged close to 80 days per year and at least three provinces for salmon each year so why retire????
Merry Christmas gents.
Dwayne Miller
aka Hardy Guy
>
Hey flynsaddle, whats up for the bow in the next few months?? peisalmonchaser@hotmail.com

Return to “Members Corner”