Beef brisket

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Beef brisket

Post by BobB »

My stepson and I are wanting to smoke a beef brisket on a large Green Egg.
Is smoking the way to go?

Can anyone recommend a good method for this?

We've tried it once and the brisket came out kinda tough, although we injected it with apple juice as recommended.
Maybe just the cut?

We smoked it at approx. 350 degrees for close to 5 hours. It appeared to be medium cooked.

We would like to achieve a tender medium to medium rare brisket with that great blackened outside.

Any suggestions? Also looking for a good au jus type dip.

Bob 
Last edited by Anonymous on 03/10/10 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Re: Beef brisket

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Try 250 for 12 hours.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Smoking a brisket is a great way to go. Corned is also great if you have a week to mess with it. Here's what I do. Day before: salt heavy with kosher salt and black pepper. Let set overnight. Let it set out and come to room temp before putting on smoker. I keep my smoker hotter than most, 325 to 350. Smoke until internal temp is 165, about 3-4 hours. Wrap in foil and cook until you reach 200. About 2 hours. It really needs to get to 200 to get it tender and gets there faster in foil. Take it off the smoker and put it in a cooler for about 2 hours. It will stay nice and hot. Now slice it and add sauce if you like.
There are many ways to cook a brisket and they are all good. Remember, everyone makes the best bbq, so pick the one you like and enjoy.
Vern

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Youtube is your go-to for just about anything these days.https://youtu.be/OGsZkoa-lIE

I have a different smoker so I have had to learn its particular ways. The above video and a bunch of others are specific to your smoker. Generally speaking, you want to extend the cook for as long as you can so that you get more smokey flavor. And wrapping it when it reaches 160-165 degrees is key. I happen to like wrapping with butcher paper because, supposedly, the smoke can penetrate it still. Foil works well and might contribute to a more tender meat, though. I'm not sure if a medium rare brisket would be that great to be honest. It's a totally different cut of beef, really not very tender to begin with, so smoking seems to bring out the best in a cut like that. On the other end of the spectrum would be braising it in a wine reduction sauce. Yum! This might work as well: I smoked a Pork shoulder in April and we wanted to make street tacos with the meat and I wanted the meat to be really tender. After smoking the meat I braised it in a large Lodge Dutch oven in liquid (Dr. Pepper) and some Adobo peppers until it was tender enough for the bone to pull out clean. The smokey flavor remained and the meat made hecka good street tacos as well as pulled pork bbq sandwiches for a few days.

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

Texas style:
Others have touched upon the same techniques. I have a traditional offset smoker so it may differ from your egg. Low and slow is the key. That’s LOW and SLOW.
-trim to size
-allow brisket to come to room temperature -ish
-add dry rub
-smoke with oak, pecan, apple or similar hardwood for 2hrs or until the bark is right. Does not have to be heavy smoke pouring out.
-wrap in double layer heavy foil and slow cook at about 250 until internal temp in thickest portion is 195 degrees. On my smoker that’s no less than about 7hrs depending on size
-remove from smoker, wrap in old towels and put it in an old ice cooler - no ice of course. Let sit for another 2hrs or until you can’t stand it anymore. Mouthwatering.

And like 3Creeks said, beef brisket is a different cut. It needs an internal temp of 195 to break down the fats to make it tender. Not a cut of meat that you want med-rare.

Tons of tips on YouTube. Good luck

Ha! Just saw OP was from 2010.

mdwwhw
Guide

Post by mdwwhw »

The OP may be old, but Kave’s guidance is correct.

davidk
Guide

Post by davidk »

I do pretty much what Kave does, but on a pellet grill. I cook it at 225 until the temp hits around 160 degrees. At around 160 an enzyme starts breaking down and the meat will stall. At this point I pull it off and wrap it tightly in brown paper. This will help save some of the juice. I then crank the grill up to 325 and cook until it hits 203. You have to hit 200 for the enzyme to finish breaking down, which will make the brisket much more tender. After it hits 200+ pull it off and wrap in a towel and let it rest in a cooler for at least a 1/2 hr, I usually do 2 and you will be surprised at how warm it stays. One thing I forgot. Save all the juice you can and mix some in with your favorite BBQ sauce, it will make it much better. I also pour the rest of the grease in with the brisket in the fridge. It helps it stay moist.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Tacos made with smoked brisket are next level amazing!

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”