Ed Koch Dead at 78

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Cimarron Red
Sport

Ed Koch Dead at 78

Post by Cimarron Red »

Noted Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, angler and author, Ed Koch. Here's a link to the obit:

http://obits.pennlive.com/obituaries/pennlive/obituary.aspx?n=edward-a-koch&pid=144064603&fhid=4585

canesterdf
Master Guide

Ed Koch Dead at 78

Post by canesterdf »

Ed's book "Fishing the Midge" was in my opinion The book for the beginner, small fly fisherman. I have read it several times over the years, His simple effective fly patterns were a great learning tool and  a good presentation and a hooked fish was a grand reward ! He was a very big influence on many of us and he will be dearly missed. My best to his close friends and Family. Respectfully, Paul D Narlesky

flyflkr
Guide

Ed Koch Dead at 78

Post by flyflkr »

I agree with canesterdf's post above. I fished those Pa. streams back when I was just really getting into fly fishing and "Fishing the Midge" was one of the first books I read along with Marinaro and Charlie Fox. Kind of hard to believe those three are all gone. They sure helped me in their stories of fishing the Yellow Breeches, the Letort and Falling Springs.

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Ed Koch Dead at 78

Post by BobS »

Met Ed just once before he became ill.  Found him a pleasant guy with a good sense of humor.  

Fishing the Midge remains a relevant and useful book.  Ed also co-authored Midge Magic with Don Holbrook, another great manual for fishing south-central PA.

mike valla
Guide

Ed Koch Dead at 78

Post by mike valla »

Koch was a titan--a gifted fly tier and talented fly fisher. Really sad news.

Didn't know him all that well, but he was interesting to chat with. Art Flick included him in his "Master's" book, in 1972. He was already pretty well known by that time, in a close circle of Pa. guys.

-MV

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Ed Koch Dead at 78

Post by tedgolden »

I fished with Ed a couple of times on the Letort and again when he visited here in Missouri.  A grand gentleman by any measure. 

Return to “Forum Announcements”