Bread

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

Mataura mayfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Bread

Post by Mataura mayfly »

Boris,
Had heard there was a shop in Christchurch selling soda bread, but do they sell the flour I wonder? Did they survive the earthquake might be a better question! Will look into it.
You would be most welcome to visit with fishing in mind instead of bread, the wee streams are fishing well, as is the Waikaia. No real mad hatches on the Mataura yet.... least not while Ive been there. Wind is blowing a howler at the moment so I'm hoping it will calm before the weekend.

Boris
Master Guide

Re: Bread

Post by Boris »

I looked through some of my old posts and discovered I had not followed up on my word of providing you blokes with some info on bread making. I felt a pang of guilt as I pride myself on being true to my word.

I'm not sure what happened but I lost track of this thread and just forgot about it.

I owe you guys an apology. Please accept my apologies.

Boris
Master Guide

Post by Boris »

I thought I might post a link to a website that deal with bread that I write for. At least that may compensate for my neglect of the offer to help those who are interested in making good quality bread.

https://www.sourdoughbreadrecipe.com.au/

The next few weeks I'm going to be busy but if anyone has any questions I'm happy to help you guys here in this thread.

Just for interests sake we take sourdough starter with us to Tasmania so we can make nice bread in the Tassie highlands.

https://www.sourdoughbreadrecipe.com.au ... on-the-go/

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Mataura mayfly wrote:Boris,
Had heard there was a shop in Christchurch selling soda bread, but do they sell the flour I wonder? Did they survive the earthquake might be a better question! Will look into it.
You would be most welcome to visit with fishing in mind instead of bread, the wee streams are fishing well, as is the Waikaia. No real mad hatches on the Mataura yet.... least not while Ive been there. Wind is blowing a howler at the moment so I'm hoping it will calm before the weekend.

Holy smokes this is an old thread, I do love Irish soda bread for the fast prep and interesting texture and taste.

2 cups white flour, plus extra for dusting
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk (you may need a bit more if too dry)

Preheat oven and baking stone to 400F
Sift together the dry ingredients,make a pile, make a well in the top and pour in buttermilk. mix it together with a spoon then your hands to make a smooth dough, not sticky but not too dry either. Turn out dough onto a foured board and form a ball, cut a deep cross in the top(important as it allows the dough to rise), dust lightly with four. Set onto hot baking stone and bake 30 minutes or so until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a cloth and you have the fastest bread in town.
Eat warm, or at least on the same day as it was baked, it is never quite as good as when fresh.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Where I live in New Mexico, there are a lot of Native Americans who make "Horno" bread, and it is delicious! A "Horno is an outdoor type open hearth, shaped like a bee hive sitting on the ground, oven made from clay, and fueled with pinon ({Peen yown}, a type of pine tree that produces a nut. The nuts are good too when prepared like boiled peanuts). They make them in big round loaves, and the only thing I've found bad about "Horno" bread is that when I finish the one I have, I want more! Original NO Preservative bread!

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”