Harmon Henkin Info

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Harmon Henkin Info

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Hello and thanks Piegal for pulling this thread... Henkin is one of my favorites as well.
We are glad you found us here too. How lucky you got to fish with him.
That new quote is so painfully truthful.
I was not aware of his life's history.

from Miskas - post 6 :

I remember Harmon handing me a copy of Art Flick's New Streamside Guide and saying "To be serious about all of this you should read this book and take it from there," Then he laughed and winked at Glenn.

Thanks for the hot tip on this of Art's book... I just bought one from a serious nice guy fly fishing book dealer / tackle dealer on the cheap.
Maybe 12 years too late for my thanks here - but that is both the how and why this forum grows on you.
Grows with you.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

pisgahrd

Re: Harmon Henkin Info

Post by pisgahrd »

As already mentioned, Harmon Henkin was associated with McGuane, Harrison, and other Montana based writers including the great hippie writer Richard Brautigan, author of the novel "Trout Fishing in America," and therefore he pops up in many literary reminiscences of that 70s scene. There is story in William Hjortsberg’s biography of Brautigan, titled "Jubilee Hitchhiker," where Henkin has dinner with Brautigan and his girlfriend, and then trades a .22 rifle for one of Brautigan’s best fly reels and a few flies.

Return to “Book Talk”