Gravlax for the Holidays

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

cheffy
Master Guide

Re: Gravlax for the Holidays

Post by cheffy »

I usually cure it for at least 4 days and up to 7. then if it's not all gone in another 7 days I freeze some. So if you started it on the 18th or 19th and let it go for 5 days you would be good for Christmas.

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Thanks cheffy!

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Re: Gravlax - follow-on questions

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Eric Peper wrote:
tkerr7735 wrote:
Now for my questions. Is Gravlax intended for breakfast or dinner? A main course or appetizer?
I thought that the Gravlax itself was wonderful. I've only been cooking for 60 years and am still in the learning process.
As to the "when," I once had gravlax served as a main dish at a Rotary Club luncheon in Stockholm, and I never missed a chance for it whenever I was in Sweden -- best at the Grand Hotel as a dinner appetizer! And I certainly would have had it at breakfast if it were available. To the Swedes, it was as common as a hamburger is here.

Eric
As it is a dish ready too serve once made, I find easily available in Stockholm for breakfast and lunch. And just like pickle herring, available in the grocery store.

For dinner, you will see it as a starter.

But as Christmas comes, it appears to very common at Julbord festival for dinner. At one my favourite restaurants, there is often several varieties available.

http://restauranggoteborg.se/julbord/

Sorry it is Swedish, and does not describe the many and changing varieties. If you are downtown Stockholm, it is easy to get to; using the Emilie Ferry.

When family would visit me, I would also book Brunch at the Grand Hotel. Cheese, herring, gravlax, etc cetera, and though it would be more, I would also suggest OP or other associate aquavit which complements the oil and rich seafood.
Last edited by RaspberryPatch on 10/07/21 18:02, edited 3 times in total.

pupnick+1

Post by pupnick+1 »

Being a descendant of Aaron, I have been eating lax since I had baby teeth. Try Costco lax. It's hard to beat and vacuum packed!

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Agree on the Costco Lax; simple and fairly tasty.
I enjoyed this;
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/04/how- ... almon.html

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

'Tis the season so I thought I'd bring the topic back up. I'm back in Charlotte and plan to get a large wild-caught salmon from my fish monger to gravlax. Plan to use my stand-by recipe but add a "twist" to it this year.

Anyone come across a new recipe for gravlax and/or condiments?

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Dr,

Try switching the vinegar with a really good heirloom balsamic vinegar. The Black bridge winery in Paonia sells one that is fantastic and makes a great tweak for the condiment recipe.

Jeff

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Bump for the upcoming holidays

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I gotta figure out a way to get my Gravlax to my son in Arizona over Thanksgiving from North Carolina when I fly out there. Maybe pack a box with Styrofoam and dry ice. I think I'm going to add some Mesquite seasoning to give it a more western flare.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Dr that will work !! and the mesquite will be quite good last year I added some liquid hickory smoke and it was a roaring success!!

mhill

Post by mhill »

Gravlox is great, but still prefer to cold smoke and make lox! When the temps head down, I'll haveta make some. You got me salivating!
Life's a party and I'm the pinata!

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

Cured up some salmon with the salt/sugar cure, then a couple days later, gave it a cold smoke for 2-3 hours, keeping the temp in the Weber Kettle under 90 degrees Fahrenheit. No briquettes, just smoldering wood pellets. I froze 3 of the filets so I could take them on the plane for our Christmas brunch. Wrapped them in foam wrap and bubble wrap, and they stayed frozen until my arrival (5 hours later). My first time freezing it, and it worked out quite well. After thawing, it sliced up very well, nice and thin…
gClark

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

This is Gravlax - Bamboo Bash style. Always an anticipated Grill-out Highlight!
(Hey Vern! . . . Your ears should be ringin'!!)

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Of course I'll be bringing the gravlax. I didn't think I could come without it. See you in April.
Vern

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”