Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by firehole »

Congrats Flykuni3 on your new Vance rod.
Dennis

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Nice rod Dennis and Darrell!

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Just arrived, a beautiful, rewrapped, revarnished Payne 202, 8' 3/2 5 weight that also casts a 6 weight line very nicely, though with a different personality. At least on the lawn. It's just in time for a three day float down the Gunnison this weekend. This is my first real Payne after two other clones. Makes me feel I've come of age or something.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I too have been contemplating about getting an original Payne. But already with so many rods it doesn’t make sense getting another rod.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Cimarron, that sounds like a lovely Payne. I also am hopeful of owning one some day. Enjoy it, and please post some pictures of your trip.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Isn't it against the forum rules to tell us that you got a new Payne, and not include a picture...or five? If not I move to ratify that new rule. Who's with me?

-Jealous in Cali

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Sorry, I'll just have to leave it to your imaginations, as posting photos is way too far over my head. Just think of the most beautiful thing you can think of that you've always wanted but could never justify, then double that excitement, feel either very grown up or like a kid, or both, throw caution to the wind and apply it to a bamboo rod that looks, feels and even smells brand new. And that's my new Payne 202 that's as old as I am, but way better looking.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Kind of sounds like how I felt after I opened the package containing my leaded 3" St. George. I'll probably never buy an original Payne but I'll keep trying to get close as I try to build them. I'm varnishing a 198 copy right now.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

3creeks, I'm sure your 198 copy will bring you great joy, especially as it's from your own bench. Is it a cosmetic imitation and well?

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Cimarron wrote:
07/01/22 22:54
3creeks, I'm sure your 198 copy will bring you great joy, especially as it's from your own bench. Is it a cosmetic imitation and well?
Not really. I used a reel seat that I got from Ray Lee that has a pocketed butt cap, and the colors and the grain inspired me to use a combination of old Corticelli silks that really pop out on the flamed cane. I put the second coat of Epifanes spar varnish on the wraps tonight and all that's left is to varnish the sections. Even though I have heard that it's a 5 weight taper my initial casting has been with a Sylk DT4F that makes it sing.

I started building it to fish in Maine when I was working there in May but a terrible bout of Sciatica put me down for the count for two weeks and I ran out of time. I've been puttering along with it since there's no deadline anymore.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

It's also funny to say that I'll never own an original Payne, or a Thomas or a Young rod, when I could have purchased one of each and a few other classic rods for the money that I've spent on equipment for building rods. I'm in too deep at this point and I need to use the equipment to try to get close to the originals as much as I can.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

3creeks wrote:
07/02/22 01:38
It's also funny to say that I'll never own an original Payne, or a Thomas or a Young rod, when I could have purchased one of each and a few other classic rods for the money that I've spent on equipment for building rods. I'm in too deep at this point and I need to use the equipment to try to get close to the originals as much as I can.
It is interesting that your 198 works with a #4. I converted a Payne 100 taper into a 3 piece because I wanted a 7'6", 3-piece, 4 weight and I thought a 197 or 198 would be too strong.

Fortunately I bought a few top American rods before I embarked on making my own. So far I have sold three of them and a fourth and fifth are currently for sale back in the USA. This has gone towards justifying the time and money invested in building. It is nice to have a top rod available as inspiration to my making but I can't see myself risk fishing an original Payne, for example, now I have so many of my own rods to chose from.

The two Paynes I had were a 98 and a 200. Their tapers were both a bit different from the published tapers which I could find for these models.
Paul.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Paul, the fact is that I've only lawn cast it thus far, and I do plan on giving it at least two coats of spar varnish before it sees the water. The darn thing could end up a 6 weight when I finally get it out fishing!

Also I have no illusions that I'm recreating Paynes, or Dickerson rods or anything else that was built on a mill. So many factors went into their efforts including the machines that were used as well as the cane selection. I just amused myself when I said that I'd never own any original rods because my wife would divorce me if she knew how much I spent. But the money I have spent on the tooling far exceeds the cost of a few Payne's! And I mean way beyond.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

ibookje wrote:
06/25/22 15:35
Nice rod Dennis and Darrell!
I can't speak for Dennis, but I fished my new Vance this past Sunday at the Hot Creek Ranch where it was christened with a big beautiful brown that rose with a slurp to a caddis emerger and wow and oh my what a stick. I may have found my holy grail of spring creek rods. After trying many rods there -- long leaders, wind, tight spots to hit and staying low make it tough -- this may be the one that does the job.

There're tricky drifts through weed channels, some swirling here and there and lots of shots you must make to within inches of the bank and nettles. The rod did it all, and feels as light as a 7 1/2'-er (3.3 oz, 8'3 3/2, fished with a DT4 silk and a 12' leader), and it's pleasant to look at. I was laying flies on a dime at 40' easily, unconciously. Am in love, and will marry this rod soon. Whut?

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Just bought a McGill Granger Favorite 3/2 7'6" fine taper with 3 tips.Ihaven't got it out yet but feels like a 3WF-4WF, light and smooth flex. One of the tips is down about 4 " but no matter,it is in exquisite shape,NO set a little worn varnish in several spots,cork is smooth as a baby's butt with a bit of satining.Although I'm not a collector like many of you guys.I couldn't resist since I've read so much about them. The rod has intermediate wraps in gold ,really beautiful job.Maybe custom?What do you guys think? Cheers,Chet

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

Darell, I own the same rod configuration from Chris Vance and feel exactly the same way. It is a sublime rod.

Bret

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Here is an HI Canada Creek in a Registered version. It's my favorite 8' 5wt. now!

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

wannabe wrote:
07/17/22 19:47
Darell, I own the same rod configuration from Chris Vance and feel exactly the same way. It is a sublime rod.

Bret
Cool, I feel very lucky. Fish on Bret.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

ibookje wrote:
07/01/22 05:22
I too have been contemplating about getting an original Payne. But already with so many rods it doesn’t make sense getting another rod.
Said no one, ever!

George

Post by George »

Hello, I just started fly fishing this summer and just joined the forum a week ago.

I purchased an Allcock & Co. Whippet (8' 6" 5 wt.) in beautiful condition and a H&I Governor (9' 6 wt.) in very good condition.

My very first evening, caught 6 fish with the Whippet from Ottawa!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”