Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by kevinhaney1 »

My very first evening, caught 6 fish with the Whippet from Ottawa!
Now that’s an excellent introduction to fly fishing!
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Pete D.

Post by Pete D. »

Just joined. I acquired a 8 1/2 ft. Goodwin and Granger rod two weeks ago. Well cared for, it is in near perfect condition.
I am not sure what weigh line is best. I does throw six weight better than three but that is as far as I’ve gotten.
Pete
Last edited by Pete D. on 08/25/22 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Pete , I have a Granger 8642 that I like a DT5F Cartland Sylk line with.
Enjoy your new rod and welcome to the forum.

Doug

Pete D.

Post by Pete D. »

Thank you. I have just looked at the Cortland line. Will order shortly.
My rod has no identifying marks other than the Granger signature logo. How does one determine the model? Did they only make one at this length?

Forget that. I must have been blind. What I took for a signature actually says Granger Victory.
What does that tell about the best line weight for the rod?
Last edited by Pete D. on 08/26/22 05:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jrintx
Sport

Post by Jrintx »

Recently joined.

Had intentions of starting with a Flea as my first bamboo rod. After getting impatient I picked up a Madison Penn’s Creek and immediately came across an Adirondack 2/2.

Haven’t fished them yet, but these rods feel faster than I was expecting, but still need to get them on the water. Really impressed with the single tip Penn’s Creek just lawn casting.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I got a new-to-me Don Schroeder 7’6” 5 weight. It’s a lovely rod, and casts a line beautifully. It’s Don’s 28th rod, from 1988. I’m going to fish it this weekend.

agrust

Post by agrust »

First post here. I have had an eventful week.
It started with finding a Heddon #10 that is pretty nice. It is missing a guide on the middle section and one on one of the tip pieces. The guides are rusty and probably will be a winter project. no tube, a worn out sock... This rod is in good structural shape. It is a 9' 6/7weight and on the heavy side. It will be a carp rod when I am done.

Then I snagged a Phillipson Epoxite fiberglass 8'6" 6 weight that may have never been fished. The guy I bought it from has a St Croix imperial that is one of the first ones very cool looking and like new with hang tags He also has a orvis battenkill impregnated spinning rod... He thought it was a fly rod... also like new. He didn't have pictures of the Phillipson and he was technology challenged. After I got a couple bad pictures I bought the Phillipson, it will be here tomorrow! cannot wait. It has a gold colored tube and it is pre 3M model... early 70s

Today I ran into a minty Montague Redwing Registered 9' trout. I cannot for sure read if it is light or medium but I think it must be medium, the word trout if evident. 11/64 and 16/64 ferrule, if i remember right. This rod is extremely nice. It's only flaw is the reel seat has been sun faded to white on one side and the cork was bleached out a little too... but the rod finish seems untouched. I cleaned the cork with some mild soap then treated with a little old english oil. It looks mostly uniform now. The tube is a little rough and has a dent or two. The label is in bad shape and coming off. I need to figure out how to get it glued back down. I'll seek advice first.

I bought an LL bean guide series made by young for the fiberglass rod. I need to find an appropriate 30s or 40s reel for the Montague. Not sure what I am doing with the heddon yet.

It has been a good week.
Aaron

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Why yes I did...from Bill McRoy's fall list!
A T&T Classic 7' 4wt
It's smooth, sweet, delicate with just a touch of parabolic reserve.
From the serial Number I am guessing it was made circa ~1986
It's been well used but not abused. The rod is (as they say) pin straight and the ferrules fit as well as the day
the rod left the shop in Turners Falls.
Living in California I've missed several rods from Bill's list simply because I am at the end of the line as it were.
This one more than makes up for those that got away.

Last edited by DireWolf53 on 10/12/22 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Congrats Direwolf53! I had considered that rod myself. That rod is a sweetheart for sure. I waited a day too long. Enjoy!

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Hellmtflies wrote:
10/12/22 08:11
Congrats Direwolf53! I had considered that rod myself. That rod is a sweetheart for sure. I waited a day too long. Enjoy!
As my Dad was fond of saying, He who hesitates has lost ;)

BTW Go Yankees!
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Gorgeous rod Direwolf, congratulations on that purchase.

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

A Sweetgrass 7' 2 piece 3wt penta. As a small fly, small stream, small rod guy, this rod is going to get a workout. Like all 5-siders, this rod can really punch line if you ask it.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Pezon et Michel PPP Colorado, made in 1998. Until two days ago, I did not know that Pezon and Michel were still making bamboo rods until the late 1990s. Interestingly the rod, and the catalogue which came with it, show it as a #4/5. Previously I think the Colorado was called a #5/6.

Bugtussel
Guide

Post by Bugtussel »

W&M Granger Aristocrat GA7030 once owned by Sante Giuliani aka fishnbanjo. I feel extremely honored by this rod. And in the Spring when I take it to a small limestone creek to fish for wild browns I will think of the man who gave us this place.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Indeed! What a nice tribute to the man.

MKsurfer

Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by MKsurfer »

Hi all,

I was able to pick up a G Granger Aristocrat 8040 3/2 and a Leonard 39h 2/2 in amazing shape at an estate sale last week! Took the Granger out and caught quite a few the other day. I have only lawn cast the Leonard, and it will be an amazing dry fly rod to use sometime soon!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

blackdog wrote:
09/29/22 20:23
I got a new-to-me Don Schroeder 7’6” 5 weight. It’s a lovely rod, and casts a line beautifully. It’s Don’s 28th rod, from 1988. I’m going to fish it this weekend.

Outstanding photos, and a great looking rod. Congratulations.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

MKsurfer wrote:
12/04/22 00:04
Hi all,

I was able to pick up a G Granger Aristocrat 8040 3/2 and a Leonard 39h 2/2 in amazing shape at an estate sale last week! Took the Granger out and caught quite a few the other day. I have only lawn cast the Leonard, and it will be an amazing dry fly rod to use sometime soon!

Matt

Great estate sale to be at! Looks like an exceptional rod.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

MKsurfer

Post by MKsurfer »

SpringCreek wrote:
MKsurfer wrote:
12/04/22 00:04
Hi all,

Matt

Great estate sale to be at! Looks like an exceptional rod.

Jim
Thanks Jim! I’ll try and get some shots of the Leonard this week. Have a good one all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmcj1984
Guide

Post by jmcj1984 »

Just ordered a Dickerson 102014 from Per Brandin site should be a good Steelhead rod for the northwest only 6 to 10 of these were made doubtful that many are still left

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”