Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

Poolhopping,
You do not need deep pockets to have fun and collect.
I have found many " unknown rods"
Repaired them and they fished fine,
A rod that fits me is a 8 ft Chubb that was badly delaminated.
I bought it for the ferrules, but after alot of thinking. I put it back in service and love it.
I think I paid $35 for the rod.
Put the beat up old rods back together and fish them.

JohnImage

cwood
Master Guide

Post by cwood »

I just received a Mike Brooks made Payne 102 taper. What a casting machine! Mike used resourcinol (spelling ?) glue and partially impregnated it to quicken it up a little. It is one of the sweetest casting rods I have ever held. A 5dt peach and the stick sings at all distances. I love the classic look of the glue lines and the wraps are equally classic, a Dickerson brown tipped in a burnt orange. This rod will get a tone of use.
CWood

Ray
Sport

Post by Ray »

I got 2 new rods from Bill Taylor, a 7'4wt quad and a 7 1/2' 5wt quad, both hollowbuilt.

lyonscreek

Post by lyonscreek »

Besides couple of rods from ebay this spring I also received a new rod from Mr. DeFazio based on Payne 97. Beautifully finished and well built. I'm looking forward to fishing it this summer on a small cutthroat stream. With no disrespect to the Great Inspector, I think Mr DeFazio is much underappreciated and underrecognized rodmaker. Although I know that his recent experiments with questionable rod materials and lenghts may have brought him scorn, he cerntainly is well grounded in classic Tonkin cane rodmaking.
Thanks for a nice rod, Mr DeFazio.
Bob

lmcevers
Sport

Post by lmcevers »

I purchased two rods that I have been looking and searching for to end my collecting desires. I have had on my final list a Hardy CC de France 7' for small U.P. streams as a backup up for my Driggs in bushy places. I also wanted a float tube rod 8 1/2'. I have never owned nor fished a Payne but had a desire for one. I found a 8 1/2' #204. Both of these rods have exceeded my expectations especially the Payne, the delicate fine tips are unbelievable when you have a fish on. The other night I caught 3 rainbows 16-18" and was impressed beyond any doubt that this is one of the finest rods I have ever fished. I thought that if I ever owned either or both of these rods my searching for any others would be over?? I resolved my thinking that a Dickerson would be a final nice addition to my collection. That would definitely be the last rod I would need to round out my collection. So ONE more is the answer! Love this board! Thanks to all who had a hand in saving it. Larry

glassorcane
Sport

Post by glassorcane »

Hey Larry (Imcevers)

Glad to hear you got your Payne. I remember your posts from a couple of years ago where searching for a Payne was your goal above all others. If I remember right, you are up in the UP. How are the bugs this year? I remember the flies went wild a couple of years ago.

Rick

appgap
Sport

Post by appgap »

Larry,
Do pursue the Dickerson. Every time I cast one I am reminded what outstanding tapers they are. The 7613 and 8013 in particulara re just amazing 5 weight rods and wouls be great compliments to your 204.

New2Bamboo
Guide

Post by New2Bamboo »

I purchased Sante's W&M GS8642 and LOVE that rod. It is a HOT rod and I've landed many fish over the past few weekends. Superior nymphing stick. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my Bill Taylor hollow built quad. Should be here tommorow. I'm also waiting on Mike Patterson to restore a GGV8040 that he hopes to have ready in September. To fund these purchases I'm selling my GGA7030. Hard to let that one go but I don't have a need for such a short light lined rod. It's been fun casting though.

N2B

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

I've received a Chet Croco 7' 6" 2/2 5 weight, a Thramer 7' 6" 2/2 5 weight h.b. w/ custom wraps and am awaiting a 7' 2/2 4 weight Zimny quad which will be here next week, a Harms 8' 2/2 5 weight hex, a Bill Bennett 7' 3" 2/2 4 weight, and a 7' 6" 2/2 5 weight quad blank being finished by A.J. New, when are you rolling into Camp Sherman?

softstick

MountainsAllAround
Sport

Post by MountainsAllAround »

Recently received -- and fished heavily -- a new Dickerson 8014 GS (by Gary Williams). Though it's a faster rod than I'd normally choose, the backbone -- and the ability to throw a WF7 (I prefer it with a DT6) during the stonefly hatch is helpful. Not my first choice as an everyday taper (bit fast, I'm more of a Phillipson type), but very, very effective as a fishing tool.

Chris Raine is also tweaking his 8'3" 5wt hollowbuilt quad taper a tiny bit, and if it comes out like I think it will, I'll have to steal or borrow the prototype from his shop. The good news is that even if the 8'3" rod doesn't make it for me, his 7.5' 5wt hollow quad is probably a must-buy -- very, very light in the hand, a serene caster, and probably the best all-around 7.5' 5wt I've used.

Tight lines, TC
Fishing reports at: www.uppersac.com

MassTrout

Post by MassTrout »

Last Friday I received a Thramer Leonard 50DF Hunt. I was immediately struck by the beauty of the rod. Moderately flamed cane, translucent maroon wraps tipped black, beautiful walnut C&R reel seat. Beauty aside, I ordered this rod to fish with and boy is it a smooth caster. Thank you A.J.!With this 8ft 5WT and the Mike Brooks Payne 97 I built up from a blank last year, I really have no "need" for another rod. Still, a leonard 49 would be nice, as would a Jenkins 756 and perhaps a a H.L. Jennings 7ft 3WT...Does A.J. build a 8 1/2 4WT HB? I love the search!

New2Bamboo
Guide

Post by New2Bamboo »

Hey Softstick. I wish I was heading out to Camp Sherman but instead I will be putting my new Bill Taylor Hollow Built Quad through its paces. I plan on hitting GLS in Downeast Maine for some fiesty land locked salmon.

Bill - N2B

lmcevers
Sport

Post by lmcevers »

Hi Rick Yes It has taken a couple years to find what I wanted in a Payne. The flies are not too bad this year, a few ticks in places, spotty though. The worst is the deer flies I dread them as they can leave holes in you. I always carry my mosquito jacket with me so I can fish in comfort when they start swarming overhead. I just picked up some mint rods and will be putting them up for sale on this board along with some of my collection to raise enough money to buy the Dickerson I am looking at. I have 62 rods and I really don't fish them all so I want to get it down to only the 40 or so I regularly fish. Larry

MountainsAllAround
Sport

Post by MountainsAllAround »

N2BOO -- looks like I'll be at GLS over 4th of July weekend and the week after. Since I'll be flying in from California, I'm only bringing a couple 3-pc rods, but it would be cool to meet up and cast whatever we brought...

Tight lines,
TC

Upper Sacramento Fishing Reports at www.uppersac.com

fingernail
Guide

Post by fingernail »

Hate to burst anyones bubble, but we fixed the fishway last summer. It will be openning up soon, Last year around this time we opened it up and counted 9 Salmon per minute going up through the fishway, one bonus before all the rain on April 1st people were catching 10 to 15 fish per hour, thats our greatest catch rate yet!, but high water in the lake caused Domtar to open all four gates on the dam !-- >: -->:"> and blew most of the fish down to Big lake. For the best fishing on GLS right above little falls in the evening will produce some great catches, last week I got a 20" and three 14 to 15"ers right at dark. We released a few brood stock this fall a couple of 30 inchers, so good luck!!

Heddon17

Post by Heddon17 »

While I haven't gotten any new cane rods since last Sept, I recently ordered a Thramer Payne 200L straight from AJ himself. The rod should be ready by late August, just in time for late summer/autumn low water fishing !-- :) -->

Brian

nohackle
Guide

Post by nohackle »

Picked up a Jennings 7'3 4wt this past spring and recently had a chance to put it through its paces during some especially fine sulphur hatches. I've really grown to enjoy this rod and find it the perfect small to medium stream outfit. Nice lively progressive action and for whatever design feature it roll casts like a dream.

Bill

careos

Post by careos »

I just finished restoring a Leonard Catskill circa 1925-1929 It's the 9" 3/2 4 1/2oz for a #4/5 The tip on the full length tip is so fine I'm just not sure that a modern # 5
would work. This rod is butter smooth with the #4 what a joy. The second tip is 4" short and is perfect with a # 5.
I can't believe I didn't get around to the restration work sooner.
The second rod Is a from the Fuquay Fly Rods It's a 6'-3"
nodless 4wt. gem. There work is wonderful the rod is so smooth and works real well in close with great control out to 35' to 45'. If you haven't seen there rods yet you will, enjoy what they are doing. (fuquayflyrods.com)

oldtrout58
Sport

Post by oldtrout58 »

Yes, I finally fished the Eden Cane Model #8014 last week. It's not only one of the most beautiful rods I own, it casts like a dream come true!

Rev Rob
Sport

Post by Rev Rob »

I just picked up a Chris Raine (Dunsmuir Rod Co.) 7'9" 5 wt. The rod is based on the Garrison 209e. Very nice rod. I bought it from Jim Bresko at Coldwater Collectibles. Jim is a great guy to do business with and Chris makes a great rod for the money.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”