Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

Paxlev:
I just got back from Telluride this last weekend. The San Miguel was high and muddy with run-off. Hopefully, it will be down by this weekend. Although I have a cabin at Trout Lake I mostly fish the upper Dolores rather than the San Miguel. If you would, please e-mail me after your trip and let me know how you did. matt@nevadacommercial.com

Thanks!

germanbrown
Guide

Post by germanbrown »

there's always the uncompahgre below ridgeway if the san miguel is blown out.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

I will let you'all know where we end up fishing. Hopefully, with a good guide out of Telluride, and two trusty cane rods, we will find some good water. Maybe the stonefly hatch will be in progress making the stained water less of an issue. !-- :D -->

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

The uncompaghre was blown out also. There was a good snow dump in the mountains on the 11th. and 12th. Then the weather hit 80 and it all came down. As we left last Saturday towards Cortez it looked like the Dolores was starting to clear so you'll probably be ok. Last week we went down and fished the Gunnison above the North Fork with Jeff Hatton and the water was clear and the fishing excellent! Good Luck!

Matt

BillT
Sport

Post by BillT »

I just received today a 9' Payne from Wayne Grauer. Great guy to deal with! The rod needs a lot of work. I guess thats why I could afford it, but the cane is all full length, and the ferrules and hardware are good. So I will take me time restoring it and hopefully I do the rod justice.
Bill

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Matt (LoomisCane) made a 7', 4/5 wt. rod and sent it to me as a demo for a new model he came up with. Its called a BlueLine Special and I'll tell you I will demo the rod, but I won't part with this one. Its the best all 'round 7-foot rod I've ever cast, bar none. With a TT5 it presents as smoothly as an ice skater glides (effortlessly) and presents as delicately as the drop of a feather. Yet, it has a feel that lets you know it won't have any trouble landing that wild 18" brown that unexpectedly swam into the trickle you're fishing. And, it seems it will rollcast with an accuracy that leaves nothing to be desired. I gave this rod a workout on two seperate days, with a few days in between and it felt just as good the second time. Matt has a hit on his hands with this one.

Bill W.
" “A goal without a plan is just a wish.”"

bulvye

Post by bulvye »

Lacey Granger 8 ft Aristocrat. Simply beautiful. Has the reserve to throw a complete fly line. Finest finish in the business. Close second is my Dave Collyer 8 ft trout bum. Both gentlemen are amazing and worth the $$$$$.

New2Bamboo
Guide

Post by New2Bamboo »

Just purchased a W&M GV8040 from Ron Shanaever. Wonderful rod and in excellent original condition. I've sold every rod I've purchased but am holding onto my 2 Grangers (8642 & 8040). I'm holding out until I can afford a PHY Perfectionist and am saving my $$$ for my Bob Summers 856 that I ordered. These are the other 2 rods I'm pining away for. I'm not going to open the wallet again until I can afford those 2 rods. Well...maybe if a Hans Schlect (sp?) comes up for sale on the used market I'll jump on it. I was pretty impressed w/Cdmoore's report.

Bill - N2B

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Hopefully the last rod I ever have to buy. Several years back I cast a Schlecht Goblin and loved it. But Marcus wasn't about to part with it and Han's new rods were too rich for my blood. Hopefully here in the next couple weeks the Goblin will finally be mine and I can start divesting myself ot selected rods, so that I can get my collection back to a point of reason.

Hans builds a fine rod, and I'm glad to see he's starting to get a bit of recognition on this side of the pond. The Goblin is one of his most popular tapers and he builds them both with normal and cane ferrules. Being a conservative old fart (and an engineer) I'm happy that this rod has the normal ferrules.... I'll let you young folk play with the new "stuff".

With any luck I should have it at SRG.

Ralph
CZKid

Marcelo Calviello
Global Moderator

Post by Marcelo Calviello »

This is a CF683SE

6' 8" #3 3/2 Special Edition (Tigered Flamed). Sister of culm of another one that yesterday goes to Japan. If nobody ask for it, for sure I will keep it.

WestSlope
Guide

Post by WestSlope »

Very Beautiful Rod Marcelo!!!

Rick
West Slope
Classic Fly Tackle

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Marcelo,
Outstanding looking rod. I like the wood grip.
Firehole

doloresboy
Master Guide

Post by doloresboy »

Paxlev:

How was the San Miguel fishing? I'm headed back up on Friday.

Matt

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Dboy; Did not fish the San Miguel. It was still blown out, as was the Uncompaghre. We fished the Delores (private water, the Lightenburg ranch) and the water was a little high, but running pretty clean. The fish were healthy and in pretty good number. It's only been about 10 or so days since I fished, so you may want to stick to the Delores. Good fishing

Kaneman1
Guide

Post by Kaneman1 »

Well i finally recieved My Brandin Quad 8' 3pc.,5wt.,HB. It was worth the wait.Can't wait to chrissen it in MT.

Kaneman1

softstick
Master Guide

Post by softstick »

I finally got my Zimny 7' 4 wt. quad last week. I will christen it on the Metolius this week.

softstick

MountainsAllAround
Sport

Post by MountainsAllAround »

Just received my James Beasley version of the Payne Canadian Canoe rod -- a smooth-ask-silk 8.5' 7wt.

I fished the prototype several months ago and loved it -- handled wind and big flies with aplomb; offers enough backbone to fish for summer run steelies; and yet a 12" trout still puts a respectable bend in the thing. I fished it all day from a drift boat on the Upper Rogue without fatigue, hitting rising fish out at 60-70 feet as easily as I'd cast to 40 feet with my 5wts. I don't think it's a good idea to fish a dry at those distances, but it was nice to know I could without a visit to the chiro.

Beasley's best known for his short, beautifully tweaked PHY tapers (his Perfectionist and Midge tapers are impressive) but if a rod builder can be trapped by his own success, then it's happened to Beasley. He could build Perfectionists fulltime and sell them all, but he also loves to experiement, which is why he planed out and shipped me a Payne CC when I casually mentioned I was looking for a 7wt -- a rod for the stonefly hatch, summer runs and even the big trout of the Lower Sac.

This rod's like the prototype except he hollowed the butt section. One of the things I like about Beasley is that he realizes these things are fishing tools and not museum pieces (I gravitate towards these kind of builders, Chris Raine and Thramer among them), so he built the rod with an aluminum reel seat, TiCr snakes, and a simple cosmetic treatment.

I know that the market is focused on short, lightweight rods and maybe that is where cane shines, but I've cast a lot of nice "big" rods lately (including the Beasley and a killer hollowbuilt 8.5' 7wt by Raine) that are eminently fishable and it's a shame that people are missing out on this end of the market. Big rods respond very well to hollow building and shouldn't be ignored.

TC

AJ Bamboo
Master Guide

Post by AJ Bamboo »

Mtn..
since I started building hollow rods over half of them have been 8 1/2 ft and up. It seems to have brought longer rods back into the fore, as they were when I started 25 yrs ago. At least we are past the tiny craze of the late 80's and early 90's. It really went beyond the pale, 6ft 3pc 2wts and such.
A.J.

MountainsAllAround
Sport

Post by MountainsAllAround »

Nice to hear there's demand for your longer rods -- hopefully it represents a trend towards great all-around cane rods instead of so many of the little rods which are fun, but hardly useful on rivers like the Upper Sac.

Pretty much all the professional builders in Northern California are hollow building (Hidy, Wojnicki, Bolt, Reams, Johnson, Raine); Maca, Winston and Karstetters are doing it in Montana, and there you are in Oregon -- looks like it's predominantly a Western thing, which isn't that surprising given the kind of rods we tend to use out here.

I have heard bamboo rod users say they don't fish anything longer than 7'9" because the rods get too slow and wobbly, and while I haven't cast your 8.5' 5wt yet, nobody would say Raine's 8'3" Quad Rod or Jimmy Ream's 8.5' 5wt were slow, wobbly, or even heavy.

Good luck with the longer rods.
TC

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

I couldn't help myself I tryed to stop, but I just had to have another. I guess I'll have to seek professional help, I can't afford to get help now I just went over budget again. It was a wonderfull Phillipson 7'-6" long just what was missing. It had 2 full tips, almost perfect. I had to have it.

I noticed on my list there was a space between 7'-6" and 8'-0"
And then I saw her that wonderfull Queen she was 7'-9" wow how could I resist her? Now I.m spending my afternoons with her up at the creek. The wife is starting to wonder about me. Well she has always has wondered about me why should anything change now.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”