Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by adrien schnee »

Beautiful rod Paul! Glad you were able to receive it in time for fishing this year. It must be feather light, especially with the cork seat. That’s one of my favorite grip / seat arrangements. I have found it to be very comfortable as well as attractive in its minimalism.

How do you like taping it up? I have never owned a spliced rod, though I recognize their merits.
Do you know the actual physical weight?
Have you cast it, and if so how would you describe the action? I have had a few of Cris’s rods and they ranged from about medium to medium fast plus. All were well crafted and cast well.

I agree, Cris is a truly pleasurable guy to communicate with and a quality individual. Also a wonderful craftsman.

Enjoy this latest addition, I know you looked forward to it.

Adrien

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Nate,

Gorgeous Takemoto rod. Masa Takemoto is at the cutting edge of bamboo rodmaking and is making rods fully comparable to the very best ones made here in the U.S. - great-casting rods with gorgeous aesthetics. He's using very innovative hollowing, light wire singlefoot guides and tip tops, unique and innovative fiberglass spigot ferrules to make lightweight, beautiful and high performance rods, and his tapers come from his excellent casting abilities. Too bad he couldn't make it to the U.S. from Japan this year.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately?

Post by adrien schnee »

16 pmd, could Masa ( Genten ) or any other of the Japanese makers that sometimes visit get over this year? I believe restrictions on returning to Japan are too burdensome at the moment to make the trip feasible, as they are for most of Asia. Entry remains very restrictive throughout the region with very low vaccination rates amongst most countries here still.

I agree with your assessment of Take-san and his rods also - exceptional craftsmanship and tapers, and a terrific man.

I hope you are doing well and you are able to enjoy fishing frequently this year,

Adrien
Last edited by adrien schnee on 06/25/21 12:05, edited 2 times in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Adrien,

The pictures don’t do the rod justice. I’ll post some better ones when I get home.

I’ve yet to fish the rod. I’m on a road trip and met up with Cris on the Madison. We fished for a day and he took me on the guided tour of the rod. The taped splices take some getting used to.

The rod is as you described, medium to fast. I’m waiting to get home to fish it under more familiar waters. Yesterday’s fishing involved a pretty strenuous hike and some huge rainbows. I do not have a weight on it yet.

Your take on Cris is spot on. Not only is he a fine rod maker but he is a gentleman of the highest order.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Adrien,

Unfortunately the Japanese rodmakers haven't been able to come to the U.S. this year because of covid restrictions in Japan.

FreestoneVintage
Sport

Post by FreestoneVintage »

Thanks 16pmd, I had a lot of fun fishing the Takemoto this past week. Too bad the Japanese contingent couldn't make it this year, I look forward to seeing them next time.

And thanks so much Dennis & Paul, I'm glad those Winstons found good homes!

Nate

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

adrien schnee wrote:
06/24/21 21:10
Do you know the actual physical weight?
Adrien, the rod weighs 3 ounces.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Thanks Paul. That’s very light for a nearly 8 foot quad. I hope it becomes one of your favorites and it sees lots of trouty action.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

First fish on the new rod. A nice cutthroat at 9000 feet of altitude.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Bill Blackburn delivered my 8'3" 4 wt yesterday, after test casting it today, it was worth the wait. Bill built it to my specifications (grip, coloring, wraps, and hardware) and it fits into my arsenal just fine. Off to function test on the Gallatin as soon as the temps come down, it will get additional use on Rock Creek in August and the Firehole in September and October. For those interested in seeing and casting it, I'll bring it to the Bozeman get together on September 11th.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

pgwulf wrote:
07/08/21 10:52
Bill Blackburn delivered my 8'3" 4 wt yesterday, after test casting it today, it was worth the wait. Bill built it to my specifications (grip, coloring, wraps, and hardware) and it fits into my arsenal just fine. Off to function test on the Gallatin as soon as the temps come down, it will get additional use on Rock Creek in August and the Firehole in September and October. For those interested in seeing and casting it, I'll bring it to the Bozeman get together on September 11th.
My 7'9 4wt is probably the best casting rod i own. If you don't mind me asking what was your wait time.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

joep wrote:
07/10/21 11:16
pgwulf wrote:
07/08/21 10:52
My 7'9 4wt is probably the best casting rod i own. If you don't mind me asking what was your wait time.
I don't mind, 26 months, but I knew that I'd have to wait when Bill and I first talked about the rod I wanted. If you are considering one of his rods, I'd recommend contacting him ASAP (through his website) to get on his build list.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Hi There Fellow Members. I added to my Orvis collection, a 8'9" 2/2 SSS Bamboo rod, have not used it as of yet, you know the old E auction sales pitch, never been used! 99.9 % of the time that's Ah Crock, however it may be true to this rod, I don't know the history, the cork grip is like virgin, no reel marks on the reel seat, as is the norm for me the first thing I do with a new to me rod is clean the female and male ferrules with rubbing alcohol, very little residue from female, I couldn't even insert either tip more than half the length of the male ferrules, 0000 steel wool, slightly more depth, 600 grit sand paper, now they both fully insert, but it takes a lot of effort, I'm sure I'll need another 2 hands to perform the 4 hand disassembly at stream side!

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

I just picked up two nice old rods, [1] is a Phillipson 2-2 Powerpact 7.6 ft. 4-wt. with the original bag and tube, near mint. I doubt if it has been used more than once or twice, not sure what to do with it. My personal interest has always been from 1860 to 1920.
The second is an American Fork and Hoe 9.0 foot, steel rod from the bamboo era, [with two tips] I'm not sure if it has ever been used, comes with a blue velour bag and really long tube. If anyone has any suggestions or feedback let me hear from you.
Thanks = Mike.
PS: I've been too busy here to take photos but I will.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Thank God that my wife is as tolerant as she is beautiful!

There was an estate auction not far from me today and I brought home this pile which was all in ONE lot. They had another five or six lots with similar numbers of rods, but mostly modern inexpensive stuff.

From left to right....Sage Graphite II 3wt, Orvis Superfine graphite 2wt, R.W. Summers No. 260, Paul Young 9' not sure of weight, Orvis Rocky Mountain graphite 6wt, Fenwick early graphite 7wt, Orvis Superfine graphite 3wt, Orvis Battenkill 7 1/2' 3 7/8 oz from 1965, Alder Creek Kestrel, Alder Creek 8' no model listed, and another Orvis Superfine graphite 2wt.

I'm only planning on keeping a handful of them, but I may have told my wife only one or two ;)

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

Well, there are two things that I never indulge in; [#1] graphite anything, [#2] fiberglass anything.
But I have noticed a marked increase in collectors activities with ultralight graphite [like yours] & vintage glass, especially Fenwick, Phillipson, and Borron rods. Anything Orvis has always been collectible.
Mike
PS: It's always a plus with the original bags and tubes.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Traded in some good ones for an 8 ft. 5 wt. R.K. Bolt. I was so impressed with the 7 1/2 ft 4 wt that I had to have the five. Light, smooth, power when needed. Gorgeous cane work and tempering. Hollow built, so light in the hand. Bolts are designed after the innovative rods crafted by Gary Howells, using the same gold tipped cinnamon wraps. But Robert put more snap in the Howells taper, yet retained that classic medium feel. To me, they cast better than a Howells. (please Howell's fans, don't howl at me!).I'm partial to the uplocking Payne style reel seat--secure, attractive and light weight. The short doubled over wrap on the guides and the durable wrapped ferrules ensure this is a rod designed for fishing. Too pretty to fish? Naw. It's made to fish. I'm one lucky pachuco. (I'll get a pic up soon).

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

Two things; EC Powel from California was pioneering hollow built rods before Gary Howell.
And try to balance that RK Bolt rod, heavy reels will change the cast-ability of hollow rods.
It's probably a 3.00 or 3.25 once rod.
Mike
PS: I have heard good things about Bolt rods but is too new for me.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Well, USPS tried their damndest to ruin this one but it thankfully survived. 8 1/2' 2/2 Sewell Dunton Custom. I found it on Jim Bresko's site - Coldwater Collectibles. 6 wt. Swelled Butt and fine tips - nice medium to medium fast via the "wiggle test". Looking forward to lining it in the next few days.
Very nice above average quality from the Dunton shop. Thank you Jim for a pleasant transaction!

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

This is the photo from Jim's site - Well taken care of. I may give the wraps a thin varnish overcoat.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”