Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

wannabe
Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by wannabe »

Hard to go wrong with a perfect ;)

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Bret, congratulations! Take San is not only one of the most skilled rod makers out there, but also an exceptionally kind and generous guy. I am sure you got to experience this while dealing with him. The rod you have is among my 3 or 4 favorite tapers I have ever handled - though my rods from him have all been hexes. Friends have commented that his octagonal rods may be even more sublime, and I would love to cast one some day. His cane work and attention to detail are among the best out there I think.

I find his rods have a striking modern aesthetic and are quite light in hand. I favor contemporary reels on them because of this, and I prefer the San Miguel to the Perfect on your rod. This is of course personal preference, and everyone should pair their gear the way they like best.

I am curious what your rod weighs Bret? My hex in this taper and pretty much identical reel seat is 3.9 ounces - though it’s noticeably lighter in hand than a couple of other 8 1/2 footers of similar physical weight, length and line weight I have owned, I think largely due to his extensive hollowing well into the tips and ultralight guides and tip top.

Enjoy the rod and the connection to Take San while you fish it!
Last edited by adrien schnee on 03/13/21 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

Hi Adrian. Thanks for the encouraging words. Given the number of exceptional rods that you've handled, that's some compliment to Take-san's talents. I ordered my rod through the TSURUYA Flyshop in Tokyo, so I didn't have the pleasure of working with Take San himself. Everything I've heard from others who have met him at the Catskills museum or elsewhere confirms your opinion. I hope I'll have the opportunity to meet and maybe fish with him down the road sometime.

Interestingly, my rod weighs a bit more than yours. My scale has it at 4.2 oz. Perhaps that says something about the 8-strip construction? Or perhaps there's something different in the grip or ferrules? Or just a different culm of bamboo? In any case, as you say, it feels exceptionally light in hand. I've only had the one short casting session, so much remains to learn about the rod, but I can tell that it's going to become a favorite. Curious whether you have found a particular line that best suits your rod?

I'll play around more with the reel pairings, but I, too, was partial to the San Miguel yesterday in the park.

If you ever find yourself in NY, you're more than welcome to give the octagonal rod a try. All best,

Bret

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi Bret, thanks for the invite to cast your rod! I know you’re sincere, and though I am unlikely to be able to take advantage of the kind offer, I appreciate it.

I think it’s fairly common for quads ( which yours resembles physically ) to weigh slightly more than hex counterparts, though I have owned two identical hex tapers by Take with the same grips and seats and the rods differed by .2 ounces. I am quite certain that there would be no difference in the swing weight between our rods, and it’s even possible yours could feel lighter.

My hex rod equivalent has an authoritative, brisk action which suits me very well on a longer 6 weight. I have found that it handles a range of lines well and is not especially line taper specific. I did not try a DT 6 or a Wulff TT on it, but it was very competent at delivering a standard weight WF 6, a WF 6 1/2 weight with a more aggressive head and a long belly 6.

Wishing you a good spring of fishing ahead,

Adrien

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I just finished this FE Thomas "Light Special" that came as a blank from Dennis Stone. 8 1/2' 2/2 5wt. Mild swelled butt and fine tips. 13/64 ferrule.
I used Fuji nylon in Chestnut and no color preserver. Snake Brand guides and a beautiful chocolate banded agate stripper from the skilled hands of Joe Arguello. I wiped on 7 coats of Tru Oil and used Spar Varnish on the wraps that turned them a darker shade similar to some Orvis rods I've seen.
Not an exquisite build as I'm a novice at this, but I believe it will make a fine rod to fish. Photo quality isn't great - sorry.
I was fortunate to find a very nice somewhat rare Youngs made Orvis Battenkill to compliment it and it certainly feels nice in my hand.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

barebo

Nice build! I think it can be tempting to over accessorize - sort of like I remember back in high school days when the young ladies would wear too much makeup and actually distract rather than add to their natural good looks. You let the beauty of the cane show through - enjoy it!

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

you have a real /reel eye for finishing out my blank. have fun fishing it .Dennis

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the natural sunlight. It has a delicate feel to it if that makes sense. The balance is so nice I can see fishing it for extended periods with ease. And yes the cane itself is very pretty and the nodes pop beautifully. Thank you Dennis!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Well done! It's great that you have it ready to test drive as Spring arrives.

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

I got one of the hardest to fine H.L. Leonard 2 piece fly rod,
it is a model 73 which is a 7 ft. 9 inch rod and weight is 3 1/2 oz.
I like it best with a 4 wt. long belly line and does a nice job with 3 wt.
This was Leonard Parabolic fly rod and I love casting this rod

Got a new Leonard model 65 it's 7ft 6'' 2 piece with 2 tips. Looks to be
not fish much at all, The person I got it from said it has not be fish for
at least 10 years, the tub has nicks from being move from close to close.
I love it's very-very nice.
Last edited by Bamboo Don on 04/25/22 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Bamboo Don wrote:
03/15/21 20:41
I got one of the hardest to fine H.L. Leonard 2 piece fly rod,
it is a model 73 which is a 7 ft. 9 inch rod and weight is 3 1/2 oz.
I like it best with a 4 wt. long belly line and does a nice job with 3 wt.
This was Leonard Parabolic fly rod and I love casting this rod
Nice. That is one you don’t see every day. May I ask if it has the butt swell, and what color are the wrapping? Thanks
Congrats on finding the 73!

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

It has a very lite butt swell and has the Leonard red wraps like the model 60 to the 67 have, the 73 and 67 are my go to rod now.
There is something I just noticed my size 12 ferrule has paten dates on it, it's so small it's hard to see.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Bamboo Don wrote:
03/16/21 16:15
It has a very lite butt swell and has the Leonard red wraps like the model 60 to the 67 have, the 73 and 67 are my go to rod now.
There is something I just noticed my size 12 ferrule has paten dates on it, it's so small it's hard to see.
Thanks for the info! Very nice pair of rods. Best of luck with them this season.....

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Sweet looking Winston combo.
Enjoy!!!
Dennis

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Thank you! Some may say that a Winston Perfect should be paired with a Montana Winston but I don't have one of those (apart from a carbon LT 5).

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

What model is that wonderful Winston?
Congrats!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

3 1/8", Winston Perfect, made in England by Hardy, there is more information on this site if you search (if you mean the reel).

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Very pleased to have an Orvis 8' 3/2 4 1/2 oz impregnated rod back in my quiver. If this one from 1970 was ever used, it was used gently and certainly not often. I intend to change that very soon!

Cheers,
Joe

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That's a nice Battenkill and a new one to me. Is it basically the three-piece equivalent of the 4 3/8 oz 2/2?

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”