Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

JFL
Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by JFL »

I opened up a new door this year, never tried one of his rods but this one really has me longing for open waters and running rivers. Brand new from Robert earlier this year. Superb craftsmanship.

R K Bolt 7'6" #4 3/2

Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I've got that model serial #1808, really nice rod, I like mine with a Phoenix DT4, TT4, level silk 3 wt, Wulff TT4 lines. A very smooth 4wt and the attention to detail is stunning.
The ferrules on mine feel like they should be loose but they never twist when I'm fishing for the whole day, strange.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Very nice. He's the one that keeps the Howells legacy alive.
Always wanted a Howells 7.3ft #3 but that seems to be unobtainable (both in price and availability).
Maybe one made by Bolt would do it too.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Obviously made to fish but it's almost too beautifully crafted for me to chance a hook ding from an errant gust of wind! The rod pictured is at the pinnacle of the rod maker's craft. Simply stunning...Wow!!!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

barebo wrote:
04/19/22 11:48
Obviously made to fish but it's almost too beautifully crafted for me to chance a hook ding from an errant gust of wind! The rod pictured is at the pinnacle of the rod maker's craft. Simply stunning...Wow!!!
I'll say! Ditto!

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

JFL wrote:
04/19/22 01:03
I opened up a new door this year, never tried one of his rods but this one really has me longing for open waters and running rivers. Brand new from Robert earlier this year. Superb craftsmanship.

R K Bolt 7'6" #4 3/2

I have received his 8'6 3/2 5wt and his 7'3 3wt in the last couple years. They are works of art. I Just received his 8" 5wt that you probably saw in the classifieds a few days ago. It is about 15 years old and without some of the new touches such as the engraving on the ferrules but still a beautiful rod. I can't imagine someone makes a nice looking rod out there. His new 8'2 4wt has me wanting to get back on his list.

Bye the way when you combine his rod with the professional looking pictures you take, it is looks like something that belongs in an art gallery.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

I just sent him an email to get back on his list. Curious as to how long you waited, i know he has since retired from law. curious if his wait has gotten shorter. I waited 4 years for the 3 piece 5wt.

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

joep wrote:
04/22/22 11:03
Bye the way when you combine his rod with the professional looking pictures you take, it is looks like something that belongs in an art gallery.
Thank you, mighty kind of you to say.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

A Leonard Baby Catskill Model 37, 6' 2/2. Has a rarely seen all butternut grip and reelseat. Impossibly small handmade tiptops, impossibly fine tips, tiny English twist snakes including the stripping guide. Has a bigger ferrule than some at 8.5/64 and weighs a bit more at 1.45 oz. The rod dates to the late teens/early 20s. Patent date ferrule, "Leonard-Mills" stamp on buttcap. Rod appears original with an overcoat of varnish.

I took the opportunity to spool up a Phoenix DT2 on a Mills Fairy, probably the only reel which will fit. I used a jam knot to attach leader to line, it's tiny enough to go through the tip top. What did I find? This is a real rod, capable of delicate casts both short and long. Has a great action, a little soft but not slow, if that makes sense. The fine tip allows casts of just the leader, but the rod will punch out a cast far longer than one would ever make while actually fishing the rod. I'm impressed. Speaking of fishing, that's just what I'm going to do with it in a few days.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Interesting rod, any history on it?

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Very cool indeed. Hope you have good luck with it.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Wow, Paul! Nice pick-up!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

crowebeetle wrote:
04/27/22 19:56
Interesting rod, any history on it?
None that I am currently aware of. It was part of a fairly large Leonard collection.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Neat rod Paul, but I’m surprised that with the wooden grip and seat that it still weighs less than an ounce and a half. That’s light! Ought to be very fun with a trout on the line.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

JFL wrote:
04/19/22 01:03

R K Bolt 7'6" #4 3/2

I have the same Bolt, length and weight, but the two-piecer. I love the deeper brown of the new wraps. More like a Payne.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Short Tip wrote:
04/27/22 19:30
A Leonard Baby Catskill Model 37, 6' 2/2. Has a rarely seen all butternut grip and reelseat. Impossibly small handmade tiptops, impossibly fine tips, tiny English twist snakes including the stripping guide. Has a bigger ferrule than some at 8.5/64 and weighs a bit more at 1.45 oz. The rod dates to the late teens/early 20s. Patent date ferrule, "Leonard-Mills" stamp on buttcap. Rod appears original with an overcoat of varnish.

I took the opportunity to spool up a Phoenix DT2 on a Mills Fairy, probably the only reel which will fit. I used a jam knot to attach leader to line, it's tiny enough to go through the tip top. What did I find? This is a real rod, capable of delicate casts both short and long. Has a great action, a little soft but not slow, if that makes sense. The fine tip allows casts of just the leader, but the rod will punch out a cast far longer than one would ever make while actually fishing the rod. I'm impressed. Speaking of fishing, that's just what I'm going to do with it in a few days.

Sweet! Those Brookies in the park need to take heed! :)

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

A new late era Heddon #35 Peerless Deluxe with 2F ferrules and 8.5' length, with a Heddon #125 Imperial reel with the agate ring. Haven't fished it yet, but looking forward to it...

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Here is my latest acquisition from Bill Blackburn. My 5th rod from Bill. I requested this rod as the tool for attacking those small stream headwater trout. It's a 6'6" 2/2 3wt. Serial #1322. Solid construction as requested. The absolute tiniest rod to date made by Bill. The ferrule is a #11. The butt section feels like a #2 pencil. The cork is a diminutive 5"s. :) Throws a Cortland "SYLK" DT3F like a dream. Casts as though it's a 7'er. Can't wait to get her on the water. :)
Mark

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Simple, almost Paynesque, elegance.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

PT48 wrote:
04/29/22 16:21