Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by firehole »

Mark,
I'm glad I could help. It worked out great we could meet at my rental condo and do the transfer. It's nice to know it can cast 5DT which I didn't know. Now I can look forward to getting my Chris Vance HB 8'6" 3/2 5wt. in March or April from Chris
Dennis

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

firehole wrote:
11/18/21 13:28
Mark,
I'm glad I could help. It worked out great we could meet at my rental condo and do the transfer. It's nice to know it can cast 5DT which I didn't know. Now I can look forward to getting my Chris Vance HB 8'6" 3/2 5wt. in March or April from Chris
Dennis
Good for you. Chris's work is top shelf too.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Hellmtflies wrote:
11/18/21 12:42
Here is a rod I just acquired. My third Karstetter. 8'3" 3/2 4wt. Mint. I was fortunate to get this rod from another forum member.

Brief history; It was originally built for ibookje in the Netherlands in 2019. It was then transferred to firehole here in West Yellowstone, Mt. that same year I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. Then to me the other day while Bill Blackburn and I met firehole at his awesome condo at Rainbow Point outside of West. There the transfer was made to me. Marty's work is top shelf. This one is no exception. So of the three this is the only 3/2 Karstetter I have and will sit next to the 8' 2/2 5wt. and the 7'6" 2/2 4/5wt.

The rod casts well with a Cortland "SYLK" DT5F as the extra half line weight helps this rod load a touch quicker than a DT4F. Looking forward to getting it on the Firehole this coming spring.
Mark

This rod has traveled the world! :wave

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I recently received a late 1940s EC Powell rod from Russ Gabel (www.fraziermountainflyfishing.com). It's a 9' three pc. solid built rod weighing 4.7 ounces, a B Taper and a rather rare one with 17 & 11 ferrules. It's in excellent condition recently restored by Steve Blake and I've tried it with a WF5F and a WF6F "long belly" line along with a 406 DT5F. They all worked well but the DT5 is what I'll fish it with. I'm planning on getting up to Arkansas in a month and getting some fish on it.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I needed a 7' 3wt rod for the brookies in the mountains of Maryland. I would love to have a vintage rod by a well known maker, but I can't afford to get a second mortgage on my house. So, I had Mike Pahl (copperjohn) make this one for me. Customized to my specifications, it is one sweet brookie slayer and cost me less than $500!

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Very nice. He does really good work. If it fishes as good as it looks, you're in business. Glad to see people are still looking for new rods to fish.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

KOOL! Those Brookies are in trouble now! :)

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

It's an attractive rod Kevin. Hope you enjoy it.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Just acquired a Payne 200 8 ft 3 piece 2 tip 4wt. This rod has had new varnish and wraps done by Dennis Menscer.
His work is superb using original Payne silks.When I first found this rod the varnish had suffered a melt down and obviously been lightly used but not abused. Cast it with a 4 wt. And had to have it.This is as I like to find them as I intend to use this rod. When buying a refinished rod you have to wonder why did it need the refinish. The rod was originally sold by Antoinne & Von Lercke of Chicago. It is complete with tube ,bag and hang tag. The rod originally did not come with Ferrule Plugs as it would not fit in the tube if it had them. A very nice 50's rod brought back to its original glory.
Tom

url=https://postimg.cc/sQd1Hr1Y]Image[/url]

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

The pinnacle of classic rods - stunning beauty!

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Tom, a beauty! Dennis does amazing work. I need to stop by and see him.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

kevinhaney1 wrote:
01/08/22 16:49
I needed a 7' 3wt rod for the brookies in the mountains of Maryland. I would love to have a vintage rod by a well known maker, but I can't afford to get a second mortgage on my house. So, I had Mike Pahl (copperjohn) make this one for me. Customized to my specifications, it is one sweet brookie slayer and cost me less than $500!

Kevin
Great looking rod Kevin! Should work well on BHC too.

Matt
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

sulphur4
Guide

furthRe: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by sulphur4 »

A couple "new" acquisitions:

To say this year is going well for me is an understatement: Top rod is an E.B. Mack that I am so thankful to Bamboocollector #1 for recently trading to me for my Vom Hofe. (I located and purchased a Mack rod that looks almost identical to this one in 2018 but, regrettably, sold it about a year ago. I thought I would never be able to replace it.)

This rekindled my search for Easton School rods that started about 3 years ago, and a casual search of the forum for "Phillippe" caught my eye. It was a post about the 2019 Langs Auction and the Solon Phillipe rod another forum member won. The remark that he was planning on organizing the included provenance documents "for the next owner" piqued my attention. I sent him a pm and am now the owner of the widely accepted Solon Phillippe rod once owned by Mary Kelly and Dr. Elder (bottom rod in photo above). As Tom Kerr and others have pointed out, the nickel-plated butt cap was not original; as shown, I have replaced this with a spare Chubb butt cap that looks like the appropriate style and vintage--about 1890s or later considering the snake guides.

Would members recommend further restoring the Phillippe, ie, redoing the wraps? As Tom points out in In Search of Samuel Phillippe Rods, the wraps might not be original and aren't up to the standards of the otherwise excellent, precise work of the Phillippes. I am inclined to not do anything else to the rod but wanted to see what other thought.

I plan on creating a display for the rods that will include an 1880 S.C. Phillippe brochure promoting a Pigeon Shooting Tournament, below, that I found a couple of years ago during my initial search.

I will leave room in this display for a third rod: Now onto the search for that Samuel...

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

I am exceedingly pleased to be the new owner of this Payne 201. Based on my rather limited knowledge, it seems like a late’50s, early’60s rod. Sold by Abercrombie and Fitch stamp. Ferrules are 15 and 10. The wood spacer has a bit of a ding, but otherwise in fantastic shape. Haven’t had a chance to cast it yet, but can’t wait to get it on the water. Looks like the slightly bigger (if younger) brother to the 200 Tom/Upstate posted above. Tom, perhaps we can find a day this season on the Beaverkill to get these two 8-footer Payne’s together for a reunion? I know I’m already dreaming about Hendricksons….

Bret

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Easy to understand that you're pleased with that outstanding piece of craftsmanship. Wow! I've never had the pleasure to cast an honest to goodness Payne but have only heard the highest regards for the rod. Given that a lot of the best builders have and still copy the taper says it all.

Congratulations on your acquisition!

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Agree, a real privilege to have a rod like that.

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

Barebo, PT48 Thanks. I do indeed feel fortunate.

Bret

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

upstate & wannabe, those are two beautiful Paynes, fish them well!

Richard 🇵🇱
Random Casts

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Congratulations, Bret! You definitely have something to look forward to.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

8' Orvis "99" Everything finally lined up on timing and I got an early birthday present, now I just need a nice break in the weather.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”