Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by DireWolf53 »

GerardH wrote:
05/22/22 16:44
Went to Heddonfest to meet up with Rob Hoffhines, who built this 8' 2/2 4/5 wt (based on a Payne 200L) for me over the winter as well as made a 2nd tip for this 7'0" rod of his that he built in 2011....plus he gave it a new reel seat. Not the best photo, taken in evening before I headed back to MN.

Those are two lovely looking rods. The grip proportions are right on and the reel seat fillers compliment the cane perfectly. Very cool.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

i want that dark flamed rod, wow! how do your Hoffhines perform? This maker has landed on my radar recently.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Rob Hoffhine’s rods are fantastic - under rated maker.

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

LJ Downes 7'6" 2/2 5wt.
Really excited to fish this rod. It's stunning Image ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Drag Free
Sport

Post by Drag Free »

Beautiful rod, Matt. Jim is on my short list for my next one. How does it cast?

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

Drag Free wrote:Beautiful rod, Matt. Jim is on my short list for my next one. How does it cast?
I've only briefly cast it with a couple WF 5wt lines. It's faster than I expected, and really quite nice. It's my first bamboo trout rod and it's exceptional. It's got a bit of modern attitude with the refinement of a classic. I'm excited to fish it more. The finish details are also really nice, for whatever that's worth to you.

Drag Free
Sport

Post by Drag Free »

Thanks for the feedback...and nice rod to start the trout quiver.

Drag Free
Sport

Post by Drag Free »

Just picked up a W & McG Granger 8040 in the ubiquitous Victory grade off the big auction site. One tip down 1/2" but otherwise looks fairly decent. My first 8040. I'm looking forward to meeting her. :-*

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Congratulations...and don't fret about the missing half inch. I've owned five Goodwin/WM 8040s over the years--a Favorite, an Aristocrat, and three Victories. I just prefer the looks of the Victory.

moregrayling
Master Guide

Post by moregrayling »

deleted
Last edited by moregrayling on 12/17/23 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

8’ 5wt, I’d say the perfect Payne for the Green Drake hatch. Lucky Find!

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Here's a Mills Leonard #208 Standard, 8' 5 wt., pre-fire in mint condition, that I just received!

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

Short Tip wrote:
04/27/22 19:30
A Leonard Baby Catskill Model 37, 6' 2/2. Has a rarely seen all butternut grip and reelseat. Impossibly small handmade tiptops, impossibly fine tips, tiny English twist snakes including the stripping guide. Has a bigger ferrule than some at 8.5/64 and weighs a bit more at 1.45 oz. The rod dates to the late teens/early 20s. Patent date ferrule, "Leonard-Mills" stamp on buttcap. Rod appears original with an overcoat of varnish.

I took the opportunity to spool up a Phoenix DT2 on a Mills Fairy, probably the only reel which will fit. I used a jam knot to attach leader to line, it's tiny enough to go through the tip top. What did I find? This is a real rod, capable of delicate casts both short and long. Has a great action, a little soft but not slow, if that makes sense. The fine tip allows casts of just the leader, but the rod will punch out a cast far longer than one would ever make while actually fishing the rod. I'm impressed. Speaking of fishing, that's just what I'm going to do with it in a few days.

Hi Paul I like your Baby Catskill with the wooden handle and the Mill Fairy reel how did it balance or was it heavy in your hand

moregrayling
Master Guide

Post by moregrayling »

deleted
Last edited by moregrayling on 12/17/23 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

Number 2 in the lineup
AJ Thramer 7ft 6in 4wt 2 piece
Hollowbuilt signature series
ImageImageImageImage

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I just picked up an Orvis 8' 2/2 8 3/8 oz rod. If Wes Jordan was able to improve upon this with his "Wes Jordan" model, I'm really impressed as this is great casting rod with very early WF7 Rocket Taper Cortland 444. The new Hardy Princess reel is a perfect pairing for this rod. It is much bigger than I typically need, but might be perfect for the Green or some of the larger rivers, which I hope to visit sometime.

Tight Lines,
Joe

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I mentioned in another thread that lately I've been interested in longer bamboo trout rods for light to middle weight lines.

My latest is this E.F. Payne 9 ft. (2/2) #108. It's 5.3 oz. with a #14 3/4 ferrule and has been wonderfully re-finished by Tim Zietak.

So far, I like it with a DT-5-F line. However, we've had so much snow lately, I've yet to get it out on the water to try other lines. But I am certainly looking forward to it!

Scott Z.

P.S.- The reel is a very scarce, early (1950s) Hardy "The Princess" 3 1/4".
P.P.S.- Removed a crease and a few small dents from the original Payne tube today. Came out nice!
Last edited by Flyman615 on 04/07/23 19:09, edited 3 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

MattZilliox
Guide

Post by MattZilliox »

Flyman615 wrote:I mentioned in another thread that lately I've been interested in longer bamboo trout rods for 4 or 5 weight lines.

My latest is this E.F. Payne 9 ft. (2/2) #108. It's 5.3 oz. with a #14 3/4 ferrule and has been wonderfully re-finished by Tim Zietak.

So far, I like it with a DT-5-F line. However, we've had so much snow lately, I've yet to get it out on the water. But I am certainly looking forward to it!

Scott Z.

P.S.- The reel is an early (1950s) Hardy "The Princess" 3 1/4".
Wowee, beautiful

huntschool
Guide

Post by huntschool »

Just completed an order for a Sweetgrass quad 6wt 2/2 and a Hardy Bougle' 3.5" reel. I wanted a stronger rod than my usual 4 wts. for fishing heavier pay loads like hopper/dropper, nymph stuff and some streamers. Talked to Glen and he was very helpful with my choice. The reel was purchased separately and should balance the rod. Everything should be in house by the end of this week.

To say I am excited is an understatement. Now if the weather will calm down soon I'll be off to MO and AR to put this combo to the test.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

MattZilliox wrote:
03/11/23 13:33
i want that dark flamed rod, wow! how do your Hoffhines perform? This maker has landed on my radar recently.
My apologies, just saw this -- the 8-footer (dark flamed) is based on a Payne 200L modified into 2-pc configuration and it casts like a dream. I have a couple trout camps a year with some good friends who are my bamboo muses with some significant collections, at sulphur camp last year they were eager to see it and I overhead one of them whisper "wow" when he lawn cast it. When he handed the rod back to me, he told me how lucky I was. The other said, "now I like my Jenkins (8' 4wt) 80% as much". Later he approached me and asked if I would consider a trade for his PHY (Summers) Perfectionist that I coveted even up! I've fished it with #12 March Browns through #26 olive patterns and it has delicacy and power, it's a wonderful dry rod. Plus it's pure eye-candy.

The 7' rod was an experimental prototype rod Rob made that's based on a Leonard taper and I use it mostly for tricos and olives. Rob made a second tip for me last year and it's a sweet, smooth rod that lays out a 16' 7X leader with pinpoint accuracy. It's the definition of a "lovely reed" in my mind...truly a wonderful wand.

Rob is currently making a 7'-6" FET taper for me, really looking forward to fishing that one. His work is impeccable as I stated in another thread and his interpretation of tapers are spot-on. Rob's an absolute delight to work with and I highly recommend him.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”