Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

It has been a while since I did this last.
Since our board has been wiped out.
What rod(s) have you received in the last 60 days?
How do you like the rod(s)?
Myself there has been only one.
An 8 ft 3piece Hawes. Made for A&F
It is a fine rod, I know it is not very common.
Would put the casting between my F.E. Thomas 8 ft and my Chubb 8 ft.
Not a fast rod, but very forgiving and will set a fly down on a china plate with out a bounce.
I would also like to know who has a Hawes rod.

Have not been buying rods since I begun building on my fly reel, It is taking some time.

JohnImage

Bamboo rods are made to fish..so fish them!

Hawes rod and 3 inch reel I am working on.
Look at the small grip.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I have been getting some new cane in just about every other week. Just last week I received a Robert Bolt 8'6" for a six weight line for the Delaware River. At the same time I picked up a mint Gary Howell's rod in the same taper. The Howell's is wonderful but I like the way the Bolt casts better. Robert's work continues to impress me and his cosmetic's are now perfect. While in the Catskills I met with Walt Carpenter and he also was very impressed with the Bolt rod in how it cast and the great cosmetics. When you look at the price of these wonderful Winston's the Bolt's are half the price. Robert builds all the hardware on the rod which is another plus. This is my third Bolt and cannot wait for the next which will be a 5 in a 8' 6" length. His rods are lighter than Gary's and they always feel like they are shorter than their real length.

Another rod I picked up for a great price was a new Wagner two tip Patriot which is his Duracane version of his more expensive Signiture rods. This Wagner Patriot was built with two tips and is 7'3" for a four or five. I cannot image fishing this with a five because it has such fine tips but to each his own. I now understand why people love Wagner's stuff because this rod is a tremendous caster. The Patriot's in a way mislabeled by Jeff in that he describes it as a "entry level rod" which may turn off serious collectors like myself. I like the spartan fittings and in every way it reminds me how Paul Young built his cane rods. Simple and light weight. I am assuming that this rod was built in the Driggs taper which much finer tips. This Patriot casts circles around my more expensive four weights.The rod with two tips was picked up at a great price. I could not pass this up. Bob

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Two new rods this week. A 7 1/2 KC Crocker 4wt and a Dean Parker Perfectionist clone. Had a busy week in Roscoe with the boys.

caddisfli.classiccane
Sport

Post by caddisfli.classiccane »

An 8.5 ft Phillipson Paragon. Needs some work so its going in a corber for next winters project.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I picked up a few, including some short ones -- a Heddon Blue Waters (on its way) and a SB 290, and a real pretty little 7-foot hollowbuilt made by Lew Parks in Michigan. It has a nice medium-fast action with a 4 DT, and I used it to catch some little brookies over in New Jersey.
On the larger side, I got a couple of 9 1/2-footers, including a gorgeous Granger Deluxe that casts like a dream with a 7-weight line. I don't usually fish water big enough for a rod that size but I;m going to look for a place to use it!

glx7

Post by glx7 »

Finally got a 7 1/2 ' 3 pc. W.M. Granger (from Ron) to see what all the hub-bub is about and because I didn't want to be left out. Well it seemed overloaded with any 5 wt. lines except for fishing really close in and basically it felt limp and collapsed under my thumb probably due to my overly aggressive style. Found it to be really a 4 wt. rod for my dry-fly style but still could feel both hinges giving way when pushed and first impressions were to send it back. After hearing about all the accolades from all you Granger fans it seemed maybe a taper that I needed some gelling to get used to so I tried it the next day with a Phoenix 4 d.t. before condemning it and Voila! The silk line made all the difference and the thin silk seemed to bring out the action for me and quickened the tempo compared to the fatter plastic lines and it will be great for fishing small to med. size streams with small flies. Thanks Ron. So is the 8 footer a 5 wt. or 4/5?.

glx7

Post by glx7 »

Almost forgot about the Paul Young Martha Marie Ron sent me last month( I am putting his kids thru school) . Now that is a rod I put a line on and the sky opened up as they say. Powerful and predictable to suit my style and the more line you let out the smoother it feels and when you let go of the line it seems to just shoot like crazy and since the rod loads longer and deeper (being parabolic) it doesn't feel like your muscling it and its easier on my old wrist and elbow than say a quicker Dickerson taper.Maybe not the most delicate rod at 25 feet but it will throw the head nicely and will shoot into the backing like nothing with a 5 wf. Probably second fiddle only to the Perfectionist in my book when you want to stretch out a little line. Don't even get me started on the midge now.

MissionInTheCane

Post by MissionInTheCane »

Picked up a custom rod that I have been waiting on for what seems like an eternity.. 7 ft 4 wt 2/2.... it casts like a dream.

salmotrutta
Sport

Post by salmotrutta »

Hi Bob,

Well John Pawlowski and Henry Gzik told me you had an unbelievable colloection of rods from some of the masters, but everytime I read one of your posts I start to drool.

Anyhow I may be down in your neck of the woods in the early fall with John and Henry, maybe we can hook up and chat.

Salmo.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

not much exciting stuff for me only banjos FE Thomas 9,5ft Browntone dry fly salmon and an 8ft Phillipson premium.

a guy near me though struck big time. he got a Carpenter, two Bolts and a Boyd amongst others.

First time I had the chance to see and cast those rods and it was a real eye opener.

The Carpenter in 7,5ft #4, 3/2 is a crazy rod. Probably the best taper in that length I know of except for the Brunner Pielach Sensitiv (which is somewhat more tip heavy). very light yet very capable of casting a long line. A disappointment personally was to see the quality of the finish work. Not that it was bad, but also not what you would expect to see on a near 3000$ rod. Maybe I shouldnt post this here but I had expected something else from what I have heard and read.

The Boyd was a crazy taper as well: 8ft for a real wf3 and still easy to cast and authorative. Superb. also the finish and cane work is really good. More versatile than the Fries rods I know in that length.

The Bolts are a super deal IMHO. very light, hollowbuilt, nicely finished, attractive, self-made hardware etc. all for a really good price. one of the best values I have seen so far.

We also cast some Henseler- and Baginski-rods and the tapers were a disappointment as expected. too stiff, too heavy, at least for us (as everything this might be personal preference). the cosmetics though were (far) better on those two than on any of the other rods.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Salmo Feel free to visit me.

Mauroff Sorry you are disappointed in the Carpenter Browntone. Walts style is more classic Payne look. Understated and not flashy. The Browntones that I own are all recently built and are perfect. But as we know this stuff is totally subjective. Bob

hoppy
Sport

Post by hoppy »

Just picked up a new Carpenter Browntone 8' 3/2 #5 - 3 weeks ago from Walt and fished it every day last week at Penns and Spring in PA. finish work was perfect and it has to be the best 8' rod I have ever cast, it cast its self, off course the ferrules size are the 15 and 10. When flyfishbill and I were at Walts shop on sat we got to cast a Like a Thomas 8 3/2 for a 4 he was making with original all metal reel seat. What a sweet rod that was, put my dips in on that for the future.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

hi bob and others,

as the Carpenter Browntone is not my rod but belongs to my acquaintance my disappointment wasnt too bad.
Still maybe I would have expected a more glasslike varnish on such an expensive rod and that the varnish on the reel seat wouldnt be compromised after only two times on the water (no user fault really).

The varnish on the Browntone is more medium and not so full/glasslike like e.g. on the Baginski or the Henseler we were able to compare it to.

Still it has a very classical look which I like very much and of course the taper is in a class of its own.

The most beautiful (best finished) rod I have ever seen and one that also casts incredibly well was a Tom Moran 7,5ft #4. but that was not the question of this thread, please apologize.

appgap
Sport

Post by appgap »

The last rod to enter my home is the 8'6" Hawes 3/2 for 5 weight. I love this rod. It has the Hawes tapered grip and the cuticles of cane Marty K writes about. Awesome finish work and the rod feels amazingly light in the hand. Does great stuff with a DT5 and I like it well enough with DT4 and TT5 too. Haven't been using much else since I got it.

Kaneman1
Guide

Post by Kaneman1 »

I just recently acquired a 7'6" Granger Aristocrat and what a pleasure to cast it with a DT 5 Phoenix silk line. I tried a DT 4 Cortland sylk line and the rod would not load. Also i just purchased a 7'6" , 2pc., 5wt., Thramer Hollow-built what a casting machine. I just spoke with Per Brandin and within a month i will be the owner of a Quad 8' 3pc., 5wt. The wait is over?
Kaneman1

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

Aapgap.
I agree the Hawes is sweet!
Can't wait to fish it.

Nice to see the amount of " new rods "
As I only collect the classics, it is great to see the modern builders keeping busy.

As for Per Brandin, you sooooooooo lucky.
One of the two modern builders I would collect.

John

Bullet Nose

Post by Bullet Nose »

Oh man-some fine Grass out there! My dog runs away when she sees me now that I have turned green.

rockymountainbrown
Sport

Post by rockymountainbrown »

I have only gotten a few, 9' WM Granger Champion, 7.5' 2/2 Dunton, a few south bends, and a montague rapidan.
RMB

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Not found in any of the tackle reference books is the name E.T. (Edwin) Hoar. The business annuals (Maine Register) from 1898 to 1920 list him as a maker of fishing rods and snowshoes. I found out that he was born in 1847 and died in 1937 so he may well have begun making rods before 1898 - it's just that I don't have any Maine Registers between 1876 and 1898 to document it. ET was possibly descended from Luther Hoar who was the first white man to settle in the area, even prior to the arrival of James Rangeley.
This is a 9 1/2' 3/2 with a snakewood butt and 6-strip Tonkin mid and tips, a throwback to some of the earlier rod constructions. All his hardware is handmade and solid NS, the ferrules having water seals. Guides are English snakes so it may be a post-1900 product. It was put up in a very nice custom formcase with canvas overbag.
I've already begun a complete strip and refinish because of varnish heat-deterioration. Snakewood is gorgeous stuff and now I almost wish the whole rod were made of it. It goes without saying that I'm quite happy to add it to my Maine rodmakers collection alongside rods by Leonard, Wheeler, Thomas, and Daniels.

poolhopping
Guide

Post by poolhopping »

picked up an edwards from a board member. a small delam. is fixed but don't know how much farther i'll get since it's time to fish. maybe it will be ready by fall. obviously i don't have a budget like a lot of you guys.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”