Bow River Browns

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Bow River Browns

Post by bow river »

Spent the last weekend of 3 days throwing some streamers for Browns for a up coming Video , had Sarah and Dave Henry in from  2handedtrout , using light trout spey and switch rods  4 / 5 wt rods , the fishing was stellar and we got some wicked browns to the net , 8 over 20 inch's , with a couple that are true world class trophy's,  
 the browns been feeding crazy after the winter and it will stay good for another month , i have a couple open weeks still in may and would like to fill them with forum members , if your ever thinking of a good time to try out canada's best trout river , then now is a great time , fly in and i'll pick you up at the airport so no need to rent a car , your lodging and meals free , as a forum member you'll be staying with wilma and i , we always enjoy meeting new members 
ask some forum members who have come to fish with me , you'll have a great time ,  bring a buddy  and split the cost , you'll never get a trip like this for the cost , good time to bring out your stronger bamboo rods for some wicked streamer fishing 
here is a few pictures from  the last few days of fishing , ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Come book a fishing trip with me on Canada's best trout river , the world famous Bow River , also other fine mountain rivers , I collect old Hardys , Dingleys, Youngs , also buy sell & trade

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

Bow River Browns

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

Holy Cow!!! Rich.....those are some great browns!  Wish I could come
this year, but too many other things.    Last July when my grandson and I
came, it was a trip we both will remember forever!   We got a couple of
good browns, but nuthin' like what you got pictures of here!   Fishing
big streamers for springtime browns is something I have got to get up
there and do, maybe with some luck, next year.....

If you have not been up to Rich and Wilma's, you just got to go do
it.....Wilma keeps a great home, and makes you feel like family from the
first minute you are there.....she whips up great steaks, and some
Canadian cusine us stateside folks might not have ever had the chance to
try, fixes great sandwiches for lunch on the river, and when you get in
for the day, you get to lounge with them in the garage (no cars, it's
like a nice den...easy chairs.with deer heads and big fish on the
wall)....sip on some very good stuff....just kick back, relax and
visit......just a bit later, Wilma calls you in for dinner.....lots of
good food.....and tops it off with homemade pie or cake.......she baked
me a great chocolate cake for my birthday.....I think I gained a couple
of pounds from her cooking....after that, you got to hit the sack pretty
quick, 'cause Rich will be getting you on the move early to get after
the browns......

If any of you guys have open time to get away over the next couple of weeks, and want a great fishing trip, give him a call.....
Steve

Spey Salar
Sport

Bow River Browns

Post by Spey Salar »

I consider myself lucky that I've got a trip booked to fish with Rich in mid-May.  I second the previous post--it's a great time.  I live a long way away, and I plan my trips carefully, but this is one I really enjoy. I've told Rich I think he puts some fake rubber fish into these photos sometimes, as they're amazing, but he assures me they're all real.  I have a new trout spey to try, and I'm looking to catch one of these big boys.

New2Bamboo
Guide

Bow River Browns

Post by New2Bamboo »

I went with Rich in August last year and it was fantastic. I'm going for the big stone fly hatch in July for 10 days this year. I can't wait!!!

Bill -N2B

CT Trout
Sport

Bow River Browns

Post by CT Trout »

I can't wait Image  I am going in August.
Jack

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Bow River Browns

Post by CaneCaster »

Rich.
Great photos, great fishing and good work keeping your guests happy on the water! i plan to see you when the rod is finished and I am looking forward to it. Never been to cowtown before, minus the airport so should be fun.
Cheers.
James

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Bow River Browns

Post by bow river »

July 19 
Gentleman I'v been so busy with being on the river , haven't had much time to keep up with the emails or messages , for those waiting to hear from me , i'm so sorry and working on answering them all now ,
the last couple weeks have been wicked fishing to say the least ,  here is some pictures of a few forum members that have been here and gone with smiles , for those booked and still coming during the next month or two with my outfit , it's going to be a great year , lots of water and lots of good big browns and more 20 inch rainbows then i'v ever seen ,  best day we had so far was 5 browns over 20'' on the dry and a rainbow at 22 on the dry ,  Lucky Kurt landed a 24 inch brown and a 24 1/2 rainbow the same day 
i have some dates still open , if your wanting a good fishing trip that you'll never forget , give me a email or call me in the evenings ,
 ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Come book a fishing trip with me on Canada's best trout river , the world famous Bow River , also other fine mountain rivers , I collect old Hardys , Dingleys, Youngs , also buy sell & trade

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Bow River Browns

Post by afgantrout »

Great photos, Rich!  Can you ID the Forum members in them?  

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

Bow River Browns

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

Rich
Looks like the Bow has been very good to you this year.   Exactly one year ago today, my grandson Reagan and I left southwest Missouri and drove to Okotoks.....took us the better part of 3 days, but we had lots of fun just spending the time in the pickup truck together....we stopped for a while in Butte, and picked up my then new Sweetgrass Quad from Glenn Brackett on the parking lot of the Safeway store....it was a real treat to meet Glenn, a very nice guy!    Went on to Lethbridge for the night, next day went to the Oldman and initiated the Sweetgrass on a really nice cutt.....I recall that I had no idea of what fly to try, so I just used my old standby, a #18 pheasant tail....works good in Canada too!   Then on to your house, the GPS took me right into your driveway!   We had 4 fantastic days of fishing and living with you and Wilma.....and Wilma can really see that you don't go hungry!   I think we enjoyed just hanging out with you and Wilma, sitting in your garage, going over all the fish we caught, and you taught Reagan how to tie those San Juan worms.....and trying to decide if we were going to the Oldman or the Bow the next day......I remember Reagan chose the Bow for our last day, and he got a 22" brown!   We have that picture of you with him and that brown on my desk.....so I get to re-live that many times every day!....Then Friday morning came, and we had to say good bye and hit the road back to Missouri.....made Rapid City that night and pulled into my driveway in Monett at 8:30 Satutday night.....1800 miles in two days....not to tough if you have someone to share the driving with.......WHAT a TRIP!    Thanks to you and Wilma, it was a trip we will never forget and always remember with warm thoughts and big smiles!   Thank you both!   Wish we could have done it again this year but had some other things on the front burner this year....I will be plotting and kiniving about planning our next visit to Okotoks......
Steve

ps......we went fishing the next afternoon!...somebody's gotta do it!  Image

troutist
Guide

Bow River Browns

Post by troutist »

Folks, I'm sitting here at my computer taking a short rest from packing for my upcoming trip tomorrow to fish with my buddy, Rich. After seeing all those 'hogs', my hands are shaking so bad I can barely type!

How lucky we are to have a great guy like Rich who will guide you on the water for some great trout, give you vintage equipment to use and try out, and keep you at his house like one of the family. 

See ya soon, my bro!

Paul

LeeB
Master Guide

Bow River Browns

Post by LeeB »

Rich;
It's great to see the weather, water, and fish all cooperating so nicely this year. I hope it stays that way for a while! See you in a couple weeks.
Lee

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Bow River Browns

Post by bow river »

july 24 well forum member troutist made it here and he had a morning of fishing he'll not forget for awhile , 
on his first day of his 10 day trip ,   we got up at 3.30 and was on the river in the dark waiting for daylight to start the float trip down ,  game plan was to pound the banks with double big dry stones about 18 inches apart ,  it was a perfect morning as a heavy fog was on the river 
we started a wee bit to early as he couldn't hardly see his fly , first few fish all we could see was the big splash and Paul miss them ,  as soon as daylight was good and clear that he could see the takes , he had his best brown ever hooked up , a great fight and i thought we were going to lose him as we had to row through a good set of rapids , after netting him and enjoying the colours of such a nice fish , we started at it again , after about 30 mins we had a double header on with two browns over 20'inches ,  this time was able to land the boat in calm water and netted his friend Bob's fish first , , while at the time paul was in a big battle with his fish on a hardy princess reel , that reel was screaming as the big brown gave him 3 good long runs and i could hear Paul say '' i can see my backing and i don't like that Rich ''  after about 10 mins we had him behide the boat and i was able to slip him into the net ,  most sweetest looking brown with yellow and big red spots ,  needless to say our boy Paul could hardly stand himself as he just landed two of the best browns he ever got within 30 mins and on drys ,
here is some pictures of the fish today ,  we got 5 browns today over 20 inches and some great rainbows landed ,  ImageImageImageImage

i'll see you Lee and Jack in a couple weeks , 

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Bow River Browns

Post by bow river »

Augs 12 couple more of our forum members who made it for some fishing , Jack and his nice coloured brown , we finished the trip with a great rainbow on the dry by sneaking up on him and jack making the cast that counted ,   i think jack said he'd tell the story and the whole truth on what all happen , 
Lee's here now and the last 3 days has been good , we been sneaking around looking for snouts and today we seen a few good hogs , Lee got 2 on the toughest cast to do with a dry , downstream into the fish , mostly as he's a lefty and it was the only way he could get the fly to the fish from the bank ,
  the first big fish we seen came up and made such a loud sound when she tried to suck it in and when Lee lifted to set it just slid out her mouth , we were so close it was like slapping your hands togeather when she tried sucking that fly in , i think it even scared her a bit from the sound she made as she slid off the seam for a bit ,  here is a picture of the nice rainbow he got after i found her sipping in close tight to the bank , Lee used a black ant to fool her and this is one nice looking wild fish , he used a 8 ft orvis Wes Jordan rod 
also as a heads up , dates and weeks already being filled for 2012 , if your thinking about it , contact me soonest by phone or email , 
 also new for 2012 ,  i am also holding a 1 week bamboo gathering during the prime time next year '' big stone drys'' with a very special bamboo rod builder who will be in hosting the trip with me , it will be very limited and once in a lifetime chance , more info to come when i get all the finishing details done , 
ImageImage

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Bow River Browns

Post by bow river »

the dry fly action has been stellar to say the least the last few weeks , some days they been pretty easy on fooling them and some days they been picky , we had found a good fish feeding , then move back  in tight under the banks hiding , then slid out and grab a bite and then back into the cover of the bank and tall grass , we watched this fish for 5 mins feeding before deciding the game plan ,  our first bunch of times we looked like fools , she kept refusing time after time ,  i was so sure she was seeing the shine off the tippet for the bright sun ,  this called for another game plan 

i never go to 6 x as always afraid they will snap you off on the first 5 seconds after the set , well Todd was here and had a granger in 8642 which in my mind is a great soft tip rod , we decided after 30 mins to go with 6 x and put on a light tan caddis with CDC , first cast and the battle was on , a few good jumps and runs and then we couldn't hold this fish , after about 10 mins Todd was gaining ground , once we got her in from the main river flow and into the banks we starting getting excited and almost lost as another big deep run and a log was so close almost caught the line , at the end Todd slightly lifted the head enough for me to slip this great fish on the first attempt into my big guide net , we were pretty excited after this fish , like a couple of school boys ,  won't ever forget the colours of this wild fish or that old Granger rod in action , here is a fine picture of happy Todd with his best dry fly fish ever on 6 x ,

CT Trout
Sport

Bow River Browns

Post by CT Trout »

Finally had time to tell everyone about the spectacular 3 days of fishing with Richie. I have fished with a few guides before but Richie is by far the best I have been with.  1st day we went to the Bow before sunrise to hunt for the Big Browns. When we 1st got there Rich said the river looked a bit off color but couldn't really tell because it was dark. So down the river we went, streamer fishing with no luck. But then the sun came up and we saw the river was chocolate brown, not the nice glacier feed green color I saw the night before.Oh no. Richie said we are packin it in, we will only catch 1 or 2 today if we stay. We will bring the boat home and head up to the mountains. Now, most if not all guides would have stay put, but not Rich. He really wants to put you onto fish. So we drove an hrs ride away to the Old Man. When we got there the fish were rising all over the place.
First cast 16" cutthroat awesome!!! Left the Old Man with countless numbers of big wild rainbows and cutthroat. And the scenery and conversation could not have been any better. 2nd day we went back to the Bow. River had cleared up some, and boy were the rainbows hungry. Those wild rainbows fight just like steelhead. Lost count after 10+ rainbows in the 18" - 23" range. About 3 PM Richie took me to this place on the river where we got out of the boat and started to walk the bank and look  for trout feeding. We found a few and sat and watched for about 1/2hr. There were 3 big rainbows 18 -24" and 1 huge brown about 26" . Feeding 2' - 3' off the bank. I am thinking to myself I'm going to screw this up, I'll scare them all away !!! Rich moved up the bank ever so slowly told me where to cast . First few cast no takes, they rejected the PMD. Rich tells me to tie on the size #18 parachute adams. My hands are shaking trying to tie the fly on. Rich tells me where to cast. Perfect, here comes the big brown towards it , Rich say get ready. Oh no he rejected it Rich said looking at me ,but then I yell out "but not that rainbow". The rainbow took the fly down ,I set the hook and that fish seemed to jump 3' out of the water. Jumping and jumping he stayed in the pool and didn't go out to the main river. I landed that 23" rainbow . Hot dang !!! You have to understand I am use to catching 12" stocked trout from the Farmington river. I keep telling Rich this is unbelievable .Image
3rd day back to the Bow. Richie really wants to put me on a Big Brown, I caught a couple of 16" and an 18" the day before but not a big one. It was not long before I hooked into the big one. Oh my God!! He took me under the boat and snapped the line. My fault. A few minutes later BAM!!! This one I landed an beautiful 24" brown buck. The colors on those wild browns is just incredible. A little while later a 23" hen just spectacular.  And in between countless numbers of  rainbows. Then back to the "spot" This time they moved up steam a bit, same scenario. Except this time instead of jumping that rainbow flew with his back out of the water straight to the main river where he broke me off.  Just another awesome day with Rich.
I can't say enough about the great hospitality Rich and his lovely wife Wilma showed me on my trip ( which was too short ).  Great people , great food , great conversation and beautiful scenery. Can not wait till next year.
Thanks Richie and Wilma Image
Jack

tobewan77
Guide

Bow River Browns

Post by tobewan77 »

Thank you Rich for a very memorable trip. Came out to float with Rich for two days and walked the Oldman for 2 with my dad and brother. What a blast! Lots of fish photos about the Bow and Alberta in this thread but the scenery was astounding. Just wanted to say thanks and add some photos from the trip. Apologies but no brown photos in this.

One of the many bows:

Rich spotted this "little" fish in a shallow riffle. I never saw him but cast up to where Rich directed and he nailed a secret caddis pattern to end the day. Don't get to end many days like that.

After the Bow Rich directed us to the Oldman. What a river.  Cuts! Amazing number of large cuts in this place.

Thanks again Rich!
Last edited by tobewan77 on 08/21/11 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bow River Browns

Post by adrien schnee »

bow river wrote:
07/24/11 13:14
july 24 well forum member troutist made it here and he had a morning of fishing he'll not forget for awhile , 
on his first day of his 10 day trip ,   we got up at 3.30 and was on the river in the dark waiting for daylight to start the float trip down ,  game plan was to pound the banks with double big dry stones about 18 inches apart ,  it was a perfect morning as a heavy fog was on the river 
we started a wee bit to early as he couldn't hardly see his fly , first few fish all we could see was the big splash and Paul miss them ,  as soon as daylight was good and clear that he could see the takes , he had his best brown ever hooked up , a great fight and i thought we were going to lose him as we had to row through a good set of rapids , after netting him and enjoying the colours of such a nice fish , we started at it again , after about 30 mins we had a double header on with two browns over 20'inches ,  this time was able to land the boat in calm water and netted his friend Bob's fish first , , while at the time paul was in a big battle with his fish on a hardy princess reel , that reel was screaming as the big brown gave him 3 good long runs and i could hear Paul say '' i can see my backing and i don't like that Rich ''  after about 10 mins we had him behide the boat and i was able to slip him into the net ,  most sweetest looking brown with yellow and big red spots ,  needless to say our boy Paul could hardly stand himself as he just landed two of the best browns he ever got within 30 mins and on drys ,
here is some pictures of the fish today ,  we got 5 browns today over 20 inches and some great rainbows landed ,  ImageImageImageImage

i'll see you Lee and Jack in a couple weeks , 
Rich, I’m bringing this account of the special July 24 you shared with Paul and Bob eleven years ago back in memory of Paul, who so sadly just passed away you informed us. I have no doubt that that day was one of the fly fishing highlights within his lifetime.

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”