Foie Gras

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Foie Gras

Post by bearbutt »

Here's one of my favorite ways to prepare foie gras, and it's adaptable for various pates. It's a dangerous recipe, in part because it's so decadant. The recipe doesn?t take a position on the point of view of ducks and geese, or even chickens?pates generally require fatty livers?. It also doesn?t take a position on the effect it will have on your own health and cholesterol levels. But considering that life by definition is short, at least for creatures of the universe, it's a nice once-a-year pleasure.

I usually start with a medallion of foie gras with black truffles, or a mousse of foie gras with same, both obtainable from D'artagnan (www.dartagnan.com).

You'll also need:

1) a slab of unsalted butter
2) 6 or 8 shallots
3) about 3/4 pound of chanterelles (if you can find them) or shitakes (if you gotta go to your friendly local grocery story)--.
4) A good fresh sourdough baguette

Use a cast iron fry pan if you have one (and you should have one).

Throw in a couple of tablespoons of butter, followed by shallots diced into 1/8 inch bits of so, followed by mushrooms sliced into ¼ inch bits or so?stir, make sure everything's coated with butter, heat on lowish?you want everything to turn, not really cook, much less burn?add more butter if necessary?when done, maybe 5 minutes, maybe 10, the shallots will be translucent and the mushrooms hot and moist. Salt & pepper using freshly ground pepper and a good sea salt.

Ladle it all into a small bowl. Put a teaspoon in the bowl.

Cut the baguette into ¼ inch wide pieces. Use a knife to put the foie gras on the bread, then spoon some of the shallot/mushroom goop on top, and enjoy.

This is really good with a 2003 Rhone, Chapoutiers were excellent that year?or really anything with Syrah and grenache in it?though a nice blanc de blanc champagne isn?t a bad idea either?.

Anyone else have a good foie gras recipe? Please post it.

bb

dale
Master Guide

Foie Gras

Post by dale »

I could go on and on about foie gras... My preference is for a fresh lobe from Sonoma, sliced about 1/4 to 3/8ths inch thick, salted, onto a hot cast iron skillet. Make sure you have your hood fan on super high. Sear for just less than a minute a side. Drain onto paper towels. Rest for a couple of minutes. I use a huckleberry reduction (when available), or blackberry reduction on the side. Served on brioche, best with a nice Rieussec.

Please, no PETA comments on this thread.

Dale

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Foie Gras

Post by bearbutt »

I can't seem to find the edit function to edit my post on the shallot/mushroom goop--. You should use 3/4 pound of mushrooms, not a quarter pound--which I suppose would work if you like things rather shallotty.

Dale--great recipe, just how do you do your reductions? The Rieussec sounds like a nice match---.

bb

dale
Master Guide

Foie Gras

Post by dale »

Hi BB,

It isn't really a fancy recipe... I just puree the berries (huckleberries are the best, but blackberries are easier to find, like in my backyard), strain well, add a bunch of sugar, and simmer until it is reduced about a half in volume or so. Serve with Lipitor and an aspirin!

Dale

aparramoure
Bamboo Fanatic

Foie Gras

Post by aparramoure »

Of course the last two items you mention , one will kill your liver, the other will cause you to bleed to death internally.. some choices ~

<

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Foie Gras

Post by adrien schnee »

I believe from next year, the only foie gras one will be buying in NY, and perhaps elsewhere too, will be that from a lab. They’re making progress, and hopefully the end results will satisfy the consumers well enough. Will not be cheap.

elgato610
Sport

Post by elgato610 »

Slice it, put it on a good French bread and serve with a good sweet wine.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

I have experimented with various wild goose liver sources/approaches over the years, and it never seems to match up to the more preferred "farm raised".

Of course the wild goose diets vary according to general locations and available foods, and one would think this would make a tremendous difference , but I have not been able to discern one between young geese from prairie Canada on straight grain diets versus ten year old golf course geese from the mid south which eat who knows what.

Any opinions on this comparison from others...( other than "why shoot a wild goose'--and I don't anymore ).

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Bee,
We refer to those as "Sky Carp" similar to water carp they are big and fun to shoot but not so toothsome. My sister luckily is a huge fan of goose meat so she is the fate of most of our hunting largess.

Gavage is not very kind, but I do love seared foie gras on crisp french bread dipped in balsamic with an herb salad. So who am I to judge.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

SNO-They are "Sky Carp" the world over today from what I gather. But i will say when I was hunting in Northern Manitoba in mid september decades go and could pick out the young geese readily I would prepare a goose breast over aspen coals that would bring a tear to your eye. But those are Breasts...not livers.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

If you're buying from D'Artagnan anyway, try some of their frozen "fresh" (i.e. not canned) foie gras. The full lobes are spendy, but the chunks aren't too bad. Thaw gently, then when ready, toss chunks into a very hot dry cast iron skillet. Sear on each side (20 seconds? 30? maybe 40?), and pull them off before they melt into being nothing more than a pan of rendered fat. Serve immediately on thin toasted slice of good baguette, with sliced cornichons and pequillo peppers... or caramelized onions, or simply drizzled with good honey. Champagne goes with, as will many of the sweet Bordeaux wines.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

A few years ago we dined at Au Pied du Cochon in Montreal which is infamous for its liberal use of foie gras.

I ordered their signature dish, which is a pied du cochon stuffed with foie gras and black truffles. It was too much for me to handle and I haven't been able to touch the stuff since.

For those of you who find yourself in Montreal and are willing to give it go, I hear their foie gras hamburger is excellent.

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”