Bellinger Reels vs Genuine Bellinger Reels

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

BillF
Sport

Post by BillF »

Can someone help me understand there are Bellinger reels for sale at a number of websites generally for over $1000.   I just came across a website entitled Genuine Bellinger Reels and the reels are $700.  
Are the Genuine Bellinger reels and the Bellinger reels the same thing?  Why the price difference?
Thanks

barrydheller
Sport

Post by barrydheller »

You might want to make sure that you are comparing the same models. I am not an expert on Bellinger Reels, but I have a few. I think that the "Genuine" site is the Bellinger web site for direct sales. They make a number of models and there is a significant price difference between their "Classic" and other models, as well as some are made in all aluminum and others of the same model can be bought made with Nickle/Silver. Please feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, as I might be able to clear things up for you based on my experiance. I really have found them to be some of my favorite reels!

barrydustanheller@hotmail.com

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

The aluminum reels have perforated side plates and run in $700 range, the nickel silver reels run in the $1000-$1250 range and typically have solid delrin side plates. At least the ones I have purchased do!!!

Paul

basingp
Sport

Post by basingp »

Hi Bill,

I do the polishing, assembly, and repairs for Al Bellinger (owner of Bellinger Reels).  First you need to understand that Chet Croco (a fantastic rod maker) purchased the bamboo and reelseat part of the Bellinger business a few years ago and carried on the quality and name of Bellinger under the retitled "Genuine Bellinger".  However, Al kept the rights to making the reels.

The reels you see advertised on the Genuine Bellinger website are the aluminum rim reels.  If these reels come anodized, or polished with perferated aluminum sideplates then they are the MarkI models and if they have have delrin sideplates, they are the Classsic.  The higher priced reels are nickel silver an as Paul said, have delrin sideplates.  All of these reels come in 2 3/4", 3" & 3 1/4" wide or narrow spool and are considered the standard Bellinger reels.  However, Al also makes steelhead, salmon, and spey sizes.

At present we are also working on a couple of new nickel silver models which can be see at: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=49792/Hi-guys-from-Bellinger-Reelsgand a little 2 1/2" nickle silver by special order.

Hope this helps.
The LORD bless and keep you... garypaul <'(((>{

Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not depend on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 2 Cor 1:9

BillF
Sport

Post by BillF »

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  This has answered my question and helped me out greatly.

Return to “Classic Reels”