Show Your FE Thomas Fly Rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

drbaits
Master Guide

Re: Show Your FE Thomas Fly Rods

Post by drbaits »

Well, this is a stretch to include as a fly rod, but it came with an EVH Col Thompson multiplying salmon reel mounted on it that had no salt damage. I thought a Thomas maven might shed light on its history. The tip is 6’ with all agate guides; butt section is 21” and is all wood exept the HR butt cap... thoughts?

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I can't date it with any certainty, but two things I notice. First, no intermediates. Second, it's fitted with the Cross-patented reel seat. So, Thirties or later. The Thomas Bonefish Rod was listed at 7 2/3' in overall length including a 20 7/8 handle. Maybe?
Would make a nice restoration project.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

That's a new on on me! It definitely seems to be one of their salt water rods.

At first I thought it might be a customized tarpon or tuna rod, but now I think maybe it's (an earlier version of?) their Special Bonefish rod, shown on p. 429 of the catalog section of Stewart & Girard, perhaps somewhat customized, or a cross between the 6/9, what became their Special Tarpon Rod (See p. 447 of Stewart & Girard), and their Bonefish rods?

The Special Bonefish rod is described as overall 7-2/3 feet, length of tip either 64 or 72 inches, 20-7/8 inch Hickory spring butt handle, 5 Milduro guides and Milduro tip. No mention of the rubber button, although a rubber button is listed on their Thomas Special 6/9 rod, listed just above the Bonefish rod in the catalog.

Maybe others more familiar with salt water gear have better ideas. (Sorry, apparently I was typing while Jeff was)

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

The 20 7/8 handle length was standard on only the Bonefish. Next closest was 3" shorter, though Thomas would customize any way you wanted it.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

This is a seriously cool piece of kit.
And x2 on a worthy restoration project.
IMHO, the EVH multiplier would lean towards the Bonefish Rod call, in that flats fishing would be made more efficient with a quick reel retrieve pickup speed

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

With the revival of this thread, some FE Thomas rods for your viewing. Top to bottom:

8 1/2' 3/2 Special Streamer
8 1/2' 3/2 Brown Tone Streamer
8 1/2' 3/2 Special
8 1/2' 3/2 Brown Tone
8 1/2' 3/2 Special (light DF, 4wt)

8' 2/2 Special
8' 2/2 Brown Tone (light DF)
8' 2/2 Special
8' 3/2 Special (pre-1909, 4wt)

7 1/2' 3/2 Brown Tone
7 1/2' 2/2 Special

7' 2/2 Special Fairy (pre-1909)

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

A fabulous collection!

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

FE Thomas Special (7’ 9”) 3/1; 3 ½ oz; 4 wt.; rod length is 93 ½” and 7 ½”grip/reel seat. The rod has been expertly refinished and came with non original tube and sock. The number nine on the butt indicates it was made in 1919. I believe it’s an unusual rod, only one 7’9” shown in the FE Thomas Steward/Girard book and it was 4.2 oz. In AJ Campbell’s Fly Fishing Tackle book he mentions the 7’ 9” parabolic, two piece 3 ½ oz is one of the rarest and most coveted of all Leon Thomas rods. I’m not sure this three piece is a parabolic because I have never owned one. As noted it has one tip, I’m not sure if I will have another one made. I have had this rod for only a month and had the opportunity to cast it two weeks ago at the Super Boo XV and can’t wait to take it to Maine’s Tim Pond this summer. -tomVT 1.9 MB IMG_0961.JPG Check Error

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

Sorry about the 7'9" picture; this is my first attempt to send pictures. I sent a test picture under the Technical Section, titled Test Picture under tomVT and it displayed. If you want you could go to that section and see it. And I will keep trying at my end. -tomVT

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

A few have been acquired since my last post.

7 1/2' 2/2 Browntone Medium Dry Fly

And an 8' 3/2 Mahogany, ca. 1917

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

FET Special 7'9" pictures finally; thanks for your patience. tomVT

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Tomvt, that is a really nice rod. Enjoy it.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

All are very good looking Thomas rods and always nice to see.

Jimkanas

Post by Jimkanas »

Here are some images of my Brownstone. It does not say Thomas anywhere but it appears to be one, especially when compared to post #104.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why it does not say Thomas. I wonder if it was a transitional period in the company or something like that and how much this rod is worth (not that I'm going to sell it :)
Thanks!
jim

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Jimkanas wrote:
08/18/20 23:54
Here are some images of my Brownstone. It does not say Thomas anywhere but it appears to be one, especially when compared to post #104.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why it does not say Thomas. I wonder if it was a transitional period in the company or something like that and how much this rod is worth (not that I'm going to sell it :)
Thanks!
jim
hello, jim: respectfully, i do not see fred thomas" handiwork. to second question, i have encountered a few rods which to my mind were assuredly products of f e thomas but were not stamoed as such, most of these were rods with detachable fighting butts (which were lost or at least not with the rod) which were sometimes stamped with the herald, and the rod proper had no stamp.

regards, jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

tomvt wrote:
02/19/18 19:37
FET Special 7'9" pictures finally; thanks for your patience. tomVT

hello tom, . what a great rod!!!regretfully my study of the mysterious numbers on the butts does not include 7 ft 9 in rods as there are so many examples of that length rod floating around :skoal :skoal jim w

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Dirigo 8 foot 3/2 for a five line, beautifully restored by Dennis Menscer. I believe the rod dates from about 1918. It fishes wondertfully and has landed a full bodied 24" brown on the Delaware!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Thanks for bringing the thread back, good stuff! A few arrivals:

7' 2/2 Dirigo Fairy:

8 1/2' Browntone Streamer. Fresh off the bench of Don Schroeder. The rod was an excellent original with near complete varnish meltdown from attic storage.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Wow- those are nice!
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

7 1/2' - 3/2 Browntone. Pre-1937, and to my knowledge all original.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”