Show Your FE Thomas Fly Rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Show Your FE Thomas Fly Rods

Post by headwaters »

Yes, the marked "36" rod! One of the ones that confirms the minor correction needed in the table on p. 171 of the book. Is it an 8-footer? It is a beauty. I take a rotating sample of mine back to Maine to fish every year as well. I figure they deserve a trip home. Thanks!

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Very nice rods - all of them. And Rupert, I paid dearly and waited a very long time to have just the varnish, which was completely shot, removed while retaining all the original wraps. No choice.
Charlie

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Wow! Thanks for sharing these beautiful FET rods. Here's a pic of my all original Browntone 7'6" 2/2 3 1/2oz 4/5wt. sold to famous Maine fly tyer Bert Quimby 11/2/51. When I shot this pic recently I forgot to include the original bag & hang tag.

Click on pic for enlargement

Dennis
Last edited by firehole on 09/05/17 17:37, edited 2 times in total.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Charlie, I'll bet you did. But, the wait was definitely worth it!

Dennis, I've coveted that one from afar since I first saw your picture of it, because it was made fairly close to my birthdate. It's great to know it has such a great steward!

Thanks, Guys!

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

Thanks. Yes, it is 8' at 4 and change oz. (can't tell if the tag states 3/8 or 5/8). Incredible caster, and it came with six original tip sections (four wounded). I can only guess why the original owner thought he needed that many, but four of his casts didn't end well - or, he had an unhappy ceiling fan, etc. I have yet to read the book, but perhaps this winter.
Beautiful rod, Dennis!
Last edited by 2dabacking on 09/05/17 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

"Short Tip" wrote:
I know you have a few "special" FETs - Would you be kind enough to show them again?

PK

I only have three that will go to the grave with me. Two of them are rather unique. One is a suitcase 8ft 4pc mahogany that has a story associated with it (connected to our own "Banjo") that is far too long to relate here. The other is an 8ft 3pc 2/3 wt Fairy (according to Bob Stewart the only one in existence) with full intermediates and three tips. The third is a blond 8ft 3pc 5wt Special that I almost sold some years ago. As a "good buy" gesture I took it to the back yard to cast, fell in love with it again and asked the purchaser if he would allow me to back out of the deal. Fortunately he agreed so I still have it. If you want to see pictures of all three please go to my FET Rods album in photobucket:

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/avardan ... t=3&page=1

Don't know how to retrieve the images.
I have used the tapers from these rods to guide me in my own rod making.
Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

2dabacking, good code name! Also nice Fet. The bamboo has a nice red tone. Thanks, Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Alex, I have had that experiencing falling in love again with my bamboo. I have this idea of passing it on, go out and cast whichever rod seems to be saying good-bye, and it says hello again. Thanks for reminding us of this love affair. Cheers, Jed
Fefferfly

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Boy Alex those rods of yours are beauties. I love the 3 finishes: Coffee, Cream, and Caramel. Also great signature wraps. The mahogany rod is stunning. What weight is that one?? Gracias Senor Alex
Fefferfly

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Simply stunning, Alex! Thanks.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

fefferje wrote: What weight is that one?? Gracias Senor Alex
5/6 wt. I fish it with a 6wt WF Silk.
avardanis@sympatico.ca

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Thanks Alex. Beautiful rod. How are you doing Alex???? I decided not to go to the bamboo gathering after all. I hope we can meet soon. Jed
Fefferfly

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

oldfishbrain wrote:"Short Tip" wrote:
It's pretty easy. Right below the screen you type your message for a posting into this forum is a button, in blue, labelled, "Add image to post." Hit that button, and it should allow you to look into your PC directory for photos etc... that you want to post as part of your posting ... Far better than your link to photo b that leads to all those nasty pop up ads ....

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

paxlev wrote:
oldfishbrain wrote:"Short Tip" wrote:
It's pretty easy. Right below the screen you type your message for a posting into this forum is a button, in blue, labelled, "Add image to post." Hit that button, and it should allow you to look into your PC directory for photos etc... that you want to post as part of your posting ... Far better than your link to photo b that leads to all those nasty pop up ads ....
I was talking about retrieving the images from Photobucket
avardanis@sympatico.ca

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Oh that is simple also - pay them $400 US dollars each year. It will not help seeing any other poster's photos though, unless they pay also. Photobucket has broken all the links.

220swifty

Post by 220swifty »

Hello! Trade this FE Thomas today, seler say it a 9" #6-7, medium fast action, the end butt is marked F 164. Can anybody tel me wich yer its made, meyby type? Thanks:-).

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

It was made in 1945. The model (probably "Special" or"Dirigo") will be stamped on the side of the butt end of the reel seat opposite the slot for the reel foot, along with "F. E. THOMAS" and "BANGOR ME".

It's also possible that it might be stamped with another model name, "THE BANGOR ROD". The only other rod I've seen with the brass-looking reel seat was another wartime rod (1944), when I assume they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for certain metals.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

WWII Bangor

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I have a wartime Browntone 2 handed salmon rod with similar brass hardware. I'm a little surprised they even had the brass. I recall from Hoagy Carmichael's "8", in his discussion of Payne, that metals were tough to acquire even after the war years.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

My 1944 Bangor brass reel seat is very similar to yours, Charlie, HLS filler and all, except mine has a NS, coin edge piece overlapping the standard buttcap with a screw in the end of it! And, in further keeping with the wartime metal shortage theme, the tip-tops are the old-fashioned roto style type tip-top.

Paul, I had forgotten I had seen your brass reel seat on the salmon rod.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”