History and value of Horrocks-Ibbotson Rods

History of the HI Rod Co. Feel free to discuss HI Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

PohoWayne

Re: History and value of Horrocks-Ibbotson Rods

Post by PohoWayne »

Thank you for the information provided. A year ago I was fishing with a friend who has an extensive collection of classic bamboo rods and he told me about purchasing rods on eBay. When I got come home I searched and bought four relatively inexpensive rods without knowing much about want I was doing. One of the rods is a Horrocks-Ibbotson and the information provided helped me estimate the date of the rod production 1940-1945 based on the decal and the solid color of the plastic reel seat. It is an Ike Walton 9' 3 piece with an extra tip. I now have purchased an old H-I fly reel to match and look forward to fishing vintage style a few time this season.

My Question: What is the proper line weight for this rod? I have cast the rod with a 5 weight line and it seems to be OK.

Thank you!

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

The best way to determine the proper line weight for a rod is to try as many different weight lines as you have, or can reasonably get your hands on, and try them all and then decide what feels best for you. You might prefer a 5wt, I might prefer a 6, and Joe Simkovitch might prefer a 4! Or even a 7!

rivercabins

Post by rivercabins »

Did this company ma a 7 piece bamboo rod ?

Jimpeter

Post by Jimpeter »

I have a rod that I bought 40 years ago from an old man. I've never tried it, does anyone know what it is and what line class it is, I've searched but can't find any information. The rod is very dark and I read that H-I built rods out of Indian bamboo, anyone know anything about that, was it better bamboo or? It´s markt, Wards Super Bilt

SlvrHawk100

Post by SlvrHawk100 »

Is this the "The Trout logo decal was then used until 1929. It is rarely seen and is the most beautiful of the H-I decals"

SlvrHawk100

Post by SlvrHawk100 »

This is the rod...

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I once talked to Marty Keene, must have been 1996 about an H-I rod I had bought off on of the rod lists. He waxed poetic about the upper end H-I rods and said, that as a class, they get a bad rap, but some of them are good rods. At that point I was a newby to bamboo and the 8', 3-piece H-I that I had bought didn't balance easily and cast ok, was just extremely tip heavy and I didn't keep it long before I sold it off. The H-I rods that shine are the Tonka series. I have had a couple of Tonka Queens and I know it was Dick Davis' (think I got that right - started the board that became this forum) favorite rod and he almost always had one or two up for trade or sale on his site.

kmudgn

Post by kmudgn »

One of the guys I work with sold me this rod for $ 25. He was cleaning out his uncle's house and found it in the basement. There was no other fishing equipment and as far as he knows his uncle did not fish.

I searched the forum and believe that it was built in the early 1940s. It is a 7oz. 8' 8" 3 piece rod with two tips, labeled "Spinner". It is in what I believe to be an original tube and sock, but both are in bad shape. The wraps and varnish appear to be good. I think it is about a 5-6 wt.
Any other information would be appreciated.
Thanks

Return to “Horrocks-Ibbotson Rods”