Bacon Era Payne

History of the E.F. Payne Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Payne Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

fisheye444
Master Guide

Bacon Era Payne

Post by fisheye444 »

Ok then, the rod I purcahsed finally arrived.  I posted on Clarks, but have not recieved any answers yet.  Banjo, maybe you could give some insight as to the value of this rod?  Certainly going to cast it tonight . . .  and that will determine ALOT of the intrinsic worth for me.

Here is a copy of the post on Clark's.:

Just picked up a 102 built by Hal Bacon (early 80's I think).  **Built as a 2/1**, but in pristine condition.  Varnish is absolutely flawless, wraps are wine colored, tipped in gold, carbide stripper, blued step downs, uplocking seat in perfect condition.  Slight soiling on the grip, but other than that - perfect.  Was mentioned that the previous owner showed the rod to Hal Bacon at the somerset show and he confirmed that it was built as a 2/1.  Original bag and tube with 75% of original label.  Would love to know estimates on this one, can't wait to fish it too!
Looks like gunk under the stripper . . . its just packing dust!

Thanks everyone!

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Bacon Era Payne

Post by fishnbanjo »

Ah, the elusive "Acorn Butt", highly sought by many and not often found. Lots get mired in the fact that Jim Payne didn't make the rod but let's be honest Jim Payne would have made a name for himself even had he not kept the name E.F. Payne Rod Co.

There were a few ownership changes after Jim died and each one tried to honor the name of the company they made rods for as David Holloman continues to do in OR.

Hal Bacon knows so very much about the Payne Rod and the process on what makes it a Payne. I can't imagine it casts any different then it was intended to and the finish will be very nicely done as is Hals trademark. If this were a pre Gladding ERA Payne it would go in the $4500 and up range, were it a Gladding ERA perhaps near $4000, as one made by Hal Bacon in the $2850-3450 range I would think, enjoy it.

fisheye444
Master Guide

Bacon Era Payne

Post by fisheye444 »

Thanks Banjo - got this one for a song, so I'm very pleased with the purchase so far. She casts superbly (of course) and the cosmetics leave nothing to be desired!!! I plan on fishing it - sparingly - and enjoying it as the crown jewel of my collection now.

Appreciate the info.

B

Cmos1959

Re: Bacon Era Payne

Post by Cmos1959 »

Can anyone out there help me identify this rod?I know it says”EF Payne” but I’m not sure what it is. When I attempt to look it up, I can’t find the model number anywhere. It is 7.5 ft in length and I believe a 5wt. I’ve owned it for about 38 years and it was given to my as a gift so I don’t know the source. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to “E.F. Payne Rod Co.”