P.O.ed at the P.O.

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: P.O.ed at the P.O.

Post by rsagebrush »

This year the USPS has delivered several crushed boxes, lost 1 fly rod, never to be located, it's sad to see how far they have fallen in a few short years. And of course they now charge a whole lot of money to accomplish this.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The OP is probably still waiting for a settlement.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

Recently had USPS decide, at the destination, that the address didn't exist and they wouldn't deliver. Wouldn't let the recipient pick it up at the post office, insisted on returning to me on the other side of the country. Turns out the address was correct, but they wanted to try and charge me to send it again! Almost a month later the rod was delivered to its intended address like it should have been the first time.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Shipped over a dozen rods lately, USPS Priority in the triangle tubes with no problems at all and all arrived in three days! Nobody gets it perfect every time.
Still the best way to go for me.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

As always, I'm very happy with USPS which in recent months has successfully sent me, in four separate packages, two unique, one-of-a-kind Paul Young rods, a very rare Paul Young rod model, and Paul Young's personal Hardy St. George reel. Pack well and at minimum require a signature. For the nearest thing to absolute certainty, use USPS Registered Insured.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Steelie, Quash, get with the program! This is one of those "complain about the USPS" threads which are so popular here. This one started in 2007 and is still going, unlike some of the folks who posted in it. No positive comments allowed! I think there's a forum rule about it somewhere.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Short Tip wrote:
11/30/22 20:13
This one started in 2007 and is still going, unlike some of the folks who posted in it.
This thread is on its fourth US president.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Pterrano wrote:
11/30/22 16:31
Recently had USPS decide, at the destination, that the address didn't exist and they wouldn't deliver. Wouldn't let the recipient pick it up at the post office, insisted on returning to me on the other side of the country. Turns out the address was correct, but they wanted to try and charge me to send it again! Almost a month later the rod was delivered to its intended address like it should have been the first time.
This is almost criminal behaviour....

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

So far USPS, in combination with our postal service, has delivered perfectly.
Covid resulted in much longer international delivery time and recently (post-Covid?) the delivery times have become even longer seems.

Only one problem in the 25 years of (getting) shipping rods & reels so far:
I shipped a graphite rod (NOS Sage 490-4 LL) to the late Gary Siemer, to his PO Box and it was lost. I had a bad feeling to ship to a PO Box when I was arranging the shipping. I'll never ship to a PO Box again obviously...

NEKexpat
Guide

Post by NEKexpat »

I'm glad the tube/rod stayed in the box, but not a happy sight

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I've come to the conclusion that there is now NO WAY to accurately predict USPS package deliveries.

Lately I have had several delivery dates from USPS that are later designated "DELAYED" with no new delivery date offered. The latest was to be delivered Wednesday this week. It's now Saturday and no new "Priority Mail" delivery date whatsoever.

Ridiculous, especially when you consider current USPS package charges!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I'll throw out a bit of a contrarian view here. In all the years I've used USPS I've never had a lost or damaged package. I sold the home I grew up in last year and sent numerous packages cross country. All arrived undamaged and on time. Except for one unfortunate incident where I had a fly rod stolen in transit I've never had an issue. I can't say that for FED EX or UPS. These two carriers (in my area) have difficulty delivering packages on time and to the correct address. I never use them when I have an option to USPS.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

I ship USPS Registered on all valuables. Nothing is ever damaged. I typically ship 30+ Registered packages a year. I package neatly, verify addresses with USPS online, use large fonts on printed labels along with several stickers stating 'Fragile' on each package. Sure, it takes some time to get there and and may be delayed when the postmaster or their assistant take a vacation, but I'm fine with that.
Two packages trekking between Atlanta and PA USPS Registered recently toured the Midwest. Following tracking was comical and honestly bizarre. Regardless, the packages arrived in great shape, no indications they suffered from their extended journey.

For those that insist on UPS or FedEx, I have a stash of PVC tubes for rods and excess bubble wrap for the lesser boxes.

These solutions have resolved all shipping headaches. Sure, shipping is far more expensive these days (surprisingly so versus just 3 or 4 years ago), but so are groceries. The new 'normal' unfortunately.

Doug

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

A quick tip for boomers: when you fling open the door and shout, "Hey! You kids get off my lawn!", check to see whether the nearest kid is wearing a postal uniform; otherwise, your package may be further delayed.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Flyman615 wrote:
02/25/23 11:28
I've come to the conclusion that there is now NO WAY to accurately predict USPS package deliveries.

Lately I have had several delivery dates from USPS that are later designated "DELAYED" with no new delivery date offered. The latest was to be delivered Wednesday this week. It's now Saturday and no new "Priority Mail" delivery date whatsoever.

Ridiculous, especially when you consider current USPS package charges!

Scott Z.
Still not received. Sent USPS insured Priority Mail. No updates to tracking number since 2/18. What use is USPS Tracking if goes unused at some facilities enroute? Finally, when is a package declared "lost", if ever?
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Here is the basic information for USPS Missing Mail, with information and timelines on completing a help request form, submitting a missing mail search request, requesting a refund if the service you bought had a money-back guarantee, and filing a claim.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Scott:

I've found that sometimes, but not all of the time, if you go to your local PO, they will be able to provide more info that what is available online. Why it is not consistent is anyone's guess.

I hope that your package shows up soon.

Cheers,
Joe

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

quashnet wrote:
03/02/23 11:20
Here is the basic information for USPS Missing Mail, with information and timelines on completing a help request form, submitting a missing mail search request, requesting a refund if the service you bought had a money-back guarantee, and filing a claim.
Thanks for the tip, Bob. I've filled out the USPS Missing Mail search form (no small task), and have my fingers crossed! It's an eBay item, so if it never shows I will still get a refund.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I wouldn’t exactly say PO’d but confused. A while ago I mailed a cheque to a dealer in Michigan for the completion of a transaction. The cheque made it as far as Chicago at which time it bounced around from warehouse to warehouse for six weeks! After six weeks it showed up in my mail box non the worse for wear and without an explanation.

When it comes to shipping fly rods I have resorted to using the black ABS piping. I use the ABS glue to seal one end with an ABS cap and Gorilla Tape a plug at the other end. I also tape on directions for which end is accessible for Customs inspection. The piping is definitely stronger than PVC and light years ahead of the triangle boxes. Yes it’s heavy and it will cost you more to ship, but it is indestructible. I think that the extra cost is worth it in the end.

Richard, the Fishn’ Pole 🇵🇱
Random Casts

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”