Bamboo in Saltwater?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

pvansch1
Administrator

Re: Bamboo in Saltwater?

Post by pvansch1 »

Just find a good reel. I use a Scientific Angler System 2 10/11 on my bamboo. Great reel good balance.

Broken Rod
Master Guide

Post by Broken Rod »

piscator wrote:I am living and fishing at the Baltic Coast, where the water is salty but not as salty as a real marine environment (15 instead of 35 g/kg); however, corrosion is our partner and the most affected place is where the snakes go under the wraps. So, if you are looking for a saltwater rod make sure that the rings are saltwater resistant (there are very nice snakes for fresh water, that corrode after the first use), and use reel seats without wooden inserts. Jürgen
Oh, yes. I forgot about rusty guides. You pointed out an important detail-- find a rod with stainless guides. :D
"He started off in the wood-turning trade."
Profile on Fred Thomas, 1906

Author:
Successful Shark Fishing (1996)
Classic & Antique Fly Fishing Tackle (1997, 2002)
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

Might I add some thoughts to your fishing with your uncle's equipment? Why not try your hand at fishing for Atlantic Salmon, it sounds like you have much of the gear required. For many, salmon fishing becomes a way of life, although strippers are a great fish.
As to a reel for salt water, the Teton/ Tioga works well, has a good drag which is sealed and is easy to clean at the end of the day. The Tioga #10 will hold a bonefish line and 200 yds. of 30 lb. backing with no problem.
You will note that I said nothing about rods, when in salt I will only fish with graphite, no exceptions. At the end of the day I shower with my rod, something that my wife finds rather "kinky", but it gets the job done. To date I find no problems with my graphite rods.
Bruce

Marcelo Calviello
Global Moderator

Post by Marcelo Calviello »

Here you can see my great friend Jorge Trucco fishing for Bonefish at Los Roques, using one of my rods.
It's a CF806 8´#6 2/2

From Argentina
Marcelo

Robert Swift

Post by Robert Swift »

A TFO 375 is on the way. I bought the reel from Jim Williams who was a delight to work with. Jim took care to ask how I intended to fish before recommending the TFO. Many thanks to pmd16 for referring me to Jim.

Greg, I'm familiar with Ed Monk's PNW boats and I think Jay Benford is out there now. Beautiful designs. Like yourself, I see a lot of “clorox bottles” out on the water. Today's “yachting” scene is certainly different from the fishing and sailing community I grew up with. I'd love to sail the San Juan islands. Years ago I arranged a charter out there and had to cancel it. I've wanted to go back ever since. When I do, I'll give you a shout!

Brokenrod, good information on the Pflueger. I've been looking at them on-line. BTW: I'll be heading up to Belfast, ME sometime this summer and hoping to find some fish. In past years I haven't seen much saltwater action in the Penobscot region, but the tourist board assures me they've fixed that! :-)

Beachcaster from B.C. You also live in a beautiful part of the world. I agree, why not fish what appeals to you!

Jurgen, your “piscator” handle is the one I use on other websites. When I saw your post I thought I'd written it! Then I realized I don't live in the Baltic. :-) Good advice regarding corrosion.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm looking forward to getting my new TFO reel out fishing sometime next week.

Robert

Robert Swift

Post by Robert Swift »

Bruce, I hesitate to admit it, but I have almost zero experience fishing freshwater. I've read books and seen videos, but I find freshwater a little intimidating.

In saltwater, if I've done my job to find where the stripers are feeding, “matching the hatch” is usually a choice between a lead jig and a surgical tube eel. For freshwater it seems I'd need to develop an entirely new and more complicated entomological skill-set.

I'd love fish for trout or salmon. I can't decide whether to find a stream and start fishing or find a guide to show me some basics. I get stuck debating that in my mind and head back to the salt.

-------------------

Lastly and touching on this fishing in the shower. Whether graphite or bamboo, I'm very glad your rod is getting the job done -- whatever that deployment might be! ;-)
At the end of the day I shower with my rod, something that my wife finds rather "kinky", but it gets the job done.

Robert

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

I fish a lot with bamboo in salt water, fishing for sea trout in the archipelago. I have an Edwards Quad 9' throwing a Wulff TT #7 or an Airflo 6/7 in a delightful way. Also use a slightly lighter rod built by the Swedish builder Bill Nylander, on a Garrison taper he hollowed. On still nights I would gladly use a #5 rod, for trout feeding close to land in shallow water, but I do not have one with salt water proof hardware. I intend to have one built. Bill Nylander fish exclusively with bamboo in salt water, and so do a circle of friends in our FF club in Gothenburg.

Regards,
Martin in Sweden

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

tightloops wrote:Seychelles bonefish on an 8', 5-weight cane rod and Abel Super 4 reel. Can't remember when I had so much funhttp://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=65&t=55801#

Tom, I am just seeing these particular photos fro the first time. Fantastic, on a 5 wt cane, I can only imagine what a blast that was!

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Robert, those TFO's with sealed drags are very good, they will last a long time, as with anything in saltwater, even it is designed to operate in salt, make sure you give them a good rinse of freshwater. You can use some Boeshield T-9 on the inside of the reel. You can find Boeshield in West Marine stores. Orvis impregnated rods are excellent but make sure your guides are protected.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I built this rod 10 years ago for redfish and speckled trout..8' 8wt splice joints and all anodized hardware. I got a classic reel for it a few years ago. I have not had any problems at all with it, even through hard use!

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Munsey, a great looking outfit you assembled there. Can I ask about your opinion of the anti reverse Fin Nor? I have never experienced an anti reverse fly reel, but guess they would apply to large gamefish well. Do you feel you have as much control as you do with a standard fly reel? Or more?

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

I fish a Sweet Grass 8 ft. 7 wt salt water quad, made by Jerry, it is a great salt water fishing tool. I usually use a 200 grain 26 ft. sink tip line, which it casts well, it does well with a 150 grain, or a floater also.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Adrien- I have not landed anything over 8lbs yet, but it did great! Pretty strong pulling red fish.
Last edited by munsey w on 05/24/20 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I fish a rod made for me by Joe Balestrieri (http://www.redwingflyrods.com.), it is a 9'2" 2 pc. 8 wt. "Steelhead/Salt" taper, impregnated and with all saltwater hardware. I initially used it last July in Belize for bonefish and permit and while I caught quite a few bonefish, the only thing I got from permit was a bruised ego. I have fished it a bit here on the Louisiana coast as well and caught redfish up to 38". I love the rod and could live with a 7 or 9 wt. line on it which probably just exposes my mediocre casting skills. I use a couple of reels, an older Orvis BBS V and the current Battenkill IV 3 3/4" click/pawl Spey Model. I rinse everything down at the end of the day out of habit and the rod and reels are not affected in any way by the saltwater use.
Last edited by jimwright on 05/23/20 16:25, edited 2 times in total.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Adrien, you might consider the anti reverse reels if you're fishing for bigger reds, striper, and such. I beat hell out of my reeling hand last year on some reds in the 36" class and yeah it hurt. Larger arbor is also good.

billdeaton
Guide

Post by billdeaton »

I have a Jim Beasley Para 17 that he made for me years ago (in the 90's) with select pre-war cane. He said it had the largest power fibers he could find.
He added guides that were made for salt, though I clean it thoroughly after each use. I use a Ross Saltwater IV reel with it and a 9 weight line. It's an amazing casting rod. I love it. My brother shot a video from his iPhone about 3 years ago in Sanibel Island while we were snook fishing... you should be able to see it at:
https://www.facebook.com/kenneth.deaton ... 51139/?d=n
The image below was a few days ago in the flats around Satellite Beach.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Yo Robert! When I lived in southern California, we used to fish in King Harbor in Redondo Beach, which is about almost to the bottom of the Santa Monica Bay. I had an old Japanese built bamboo rod that got at a garage sale, and used to it to fish for Bonito, a tough, fast little gamefish that could weigh up to 7 or 8 lbs. There was a Southern California Edison Plant just across the street from King harbor and they used Sea Water to cool the turbines. The were several "bubble holes" in and outside the harbor that were warm water outlets from the plant, and the fish were stacked in there fairly well. That old Japanese clunker accounted for a lot of fish and fun days. And if you got tired of using flies, you could put a treble hook on a torpedo sinker and snag them. Really a fight if you snagged one towards the tail. And back then the flies were just some yellow, blue and white, or red feathers tied on a saltwater hook. That old clunker accounted for a lot of fish. I also used it with sand crab flies to catch Corbina in the surf along the beaches from Redondo Beach to up past Malibu! I gave it to a friend when I moved to NM, but your post sure brings back some good memories of fishing in the salt!

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”