Tom Morgan on His History with Winston Bamboo (Part 1/2)

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tom Morgan on His History with Winston Bamboo (Part 1/2)

Post by Brooks »

“ That Glen has been given not a single mention by name in the entire Winston history is petulant, and to me shameful. Particularly given the contributions he made over decades to Winston and the quality of his personal character.”

Adrien, just the tip of the iceberg. The project that the timeline was used for turned out quite petulant and bizarre.
But this is a thread about Tom Morgan. I could share offline how bizarre it got with Winston. Bottom line, Morgan and Brackett’s era and contributions were great years and their brilliant legacies continue (on their own, independent of Winston) thankfully.
I don’t think the same will be said about the current owner.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Nelson, thanks for the clarification.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

1+ Not mentioning Glenn in Winston history was shameful. Not only a master rod maker but as importantly a great person.
Dennis

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

This is a sad thread in many ways but most of us who are interested in the Winston story acknowledge that its history has been told through a number of different prisms. Perhaps it helps explain why a book has never been written.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Well said.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

There exists an excellent draft Winston book. Lets hope it gets past a couple hurdles and gets published sometime soon.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Booman2 wrote:There exists an excellent draft Winston book. Lets hope it gets past a couple hurdles and gets published sometime soon.
Count me in for a copy or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Yeah, there is allegedly a draft at the MSU library. Rarer than a Gutenberg.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Creaky: that's Glenn's copy at the University, which (as you would expect from him) he donated. I have a copy but don't know how many others are out there. I am trying to add things from my file of papers -which is about 6" high- in the event any holes need to be filled. I don't want to sell my modest Winston ephemera collection until I know that the author or publisher doesn't need it. The important thing is to get the draft moving, it's excellent, IMO.

Recurve1
Sport

Post by Recurve1 »

Booman2 wrote:
01/12/22 19:12
There exists an excellent draft Winston book. Lets hope it gets past a couple hurdles and gets published sometime soon.
Curious - is this a select history of just the bamboo rods or a complete history including glass and graphite?
Thx

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

To everyone: I know Booman 2. His opinions are well based. He is also a fishing historian, who at one time held a collection of Isaac Walton from the first edition onward. It seems to me he said the Winston history is primarily based on cane rods. The glass and graphite bill payers aren't quite historical, yet.

One day I was privileged to come to his house, or better put, a gentleman's small, well-groomed estate. Over decades, he had slowly collected Winston's, Howells and a handful of other good bamboo. I was so shaken by what I saw, beautiful rods, I couldn't cast worth a darn, but of course, never have been able to cast.

Interestingly, he told me he had never cast fiberglass or carbon fiber in his whole life!

Anyway, I too am looking forward to the Winston book. Joe here

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Joe,

Graphite production has occurred during about half of Winston’s 92 years in business (first graphite in ‘76, in business since ‘29). Glass perhaps a decade more than graphite. Winston has also produced far more graphite rods than bamboo. Pre-IM6 and IM6 rods are highly sought and seriously collected. Any complete history on the company would be incomplete without the due discussion on graphite, in my opinion.

Best regards,

John

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Like the book “Hardy Brothers: The Masters, the Men and Their Reels, 1873-1939 by John Drewett”, some company histories are only interesting up to a certain point. Otherwise they become wilting anti-climatic whimpering sad stories like the life of Howard Hughes or Phil Spector.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

If I were writing a book that covered Winston graphite rods, it would be hard not to follow the thread to Tom Morgan Rodsmiths rather than stay with Winston graphite rods after his departure.

But that is just the opinion of a lover of Tom’s rods so a long way from an objective opinion.

But considering I am a reader not an author, I will be thrilled to read any history of Winston.

I loved Per’s book on Powell. It did make me wish that there were companion books on some of the other makers. Winston, Leonard, etc.

If anyone writes one I promise to buy them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

>” would be hard not to follow the thread to Tom Morgan Rodsmiths rather than stay with Winston graphite rods after his departure.
But that is just the opinion of a lover of Tom’s rods so a long way from an objective opinion.”<

+1

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I would end the book at the time Glenn left. But that’s just me. The reason: TMR deserves a book of its own, and Glenn did a lot of cool stuff / other makers were involved worth mentioning after Tom sold Winston.

John

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

The book ending is one of the current problems, but Big's opinion is the same as mine. After Glenn, etc. left (after finishing every existing order) it was a new game.
After Glenn left and Tom had sold, all connection with San Francisco ended and what things from those (3) shops existed were destroyed in the Twin Bridges fire.
Not saying anything negative about current Winston bamboo, but it's a different company, with a different philosophy.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

2000’s
The new century issued in Winston Boron IIx, Boron IIt and Boron II-MX rods
I think that should be:
2000’s
The new century ushered in Winston Boron IIx, Boron IIt and Boron II-MX rods
Interesting story and comments. Thanks.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”